Any favorite B3 settings for Reggae?

Cogan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that's what I found when I typed "reggae organ" into the YouTube search engine.

I'll probably never play in a reggae or ska band,but I like learning new techniques and sounds,just in case I'm ever called on to fake it.

That's one of the problems with youtube, most of the people who upload videos and make playlist don't really know the difference between Rocksteady, Reggae, Jamaican Soul, or Roots. Then when you start getting into the whole "Skinhead Reggae" thing it covers most all Jamaican music between 1965 and 1975 making it more of on era/time frame than any actual genre of reggae, tho it's mostly Early Reggae and Soul.

But I feel you on never playing in a reggae band, half the people I meet that want to play reggae all either want to be Sublime and are too dumb to realize that Sublime is essentially a punk band or they want to be Bob Marley and are too dumb to realize that Marley had more albums than just Legend. And don't even get me started on the hippies.....

• Members

But I feel you on never playing in a reggae band, half the people I meet that want to play reggae all either want to be Sublime and are too dumb to realize that Sublime is essentially a punk band or they want to be Bob Marley and are too dumb to realize that Marley had more albums than just Legend. And don't even get me started on the hippies.....

I hate it when some axe-drenched idiot yells "Sublime!" at me when after i've played my dubby version of "Summertime", or thinks just because i play a weird cover of "I shot the sheriff" that i'm going to play "Waiting in vain" too. My friends with the trad ska band get that crap too.

Marley had some nice songs, but it really bothers me that he represents jamaican music to much of the world.

skip how you feel about the hippies we can figure that out. tell us how you feel about dubstep.

• Members

I hate it when some axe-drenched idiot yells "Sublime!" at me when after i've played my dubby version of "Summertime", or thinks just because i play a weird cover of "I shot the sheriff" that i'm going to play "Waiting in vain" too. My friends with the trad ska band get that crap too.

Marley had some nice songs, but it really bothers me that he represents jamaican music to much of the world.

skip how you feel about the hippies we can figure that out. tell us how you feel about dubstep.

Haha, Axe-drenched, I like to call them Axe-Holes, coming down here with their cashmere sweaters and their moussed up hairsprayed quiffs.

Dubstep? I don't listen to dance music of any kind really, so I have nothing to say about it. I kinda forgot it even existed until you mentioned it.

Oh snap, when you said "Summertime" I thought you were talking about Booker T & The MG's. Booker T is some really good Hammond music. But your talking about "Doin' Time" Sublime's version of Herbie Mann's Summertime which is also really good. I think they were playing over a sample of Herbie Mann for that track. Damn it man, now I want to hear a Dub version of some Booker T.

• Members

Marley was constantly evolving and re-recording songs. He wrote "Could You be Loved" for the Black Americans. He wanted the US market but because of hip-hop, blues and gospel music I am not sure what he would have gotten it? Anyway he brought Reggae to the forefront but it had a long history and continued after his death, that's what people don't get. Reggae music did not die in 1981. Now the hip-hop infusion has made it a lot less political and every time I am in Jamaica people are dying to be American. What I worry about is what made the music special in the first place will be lost. Speaking of "Waiting in Vain", it is one of the toughest songs for bands to cover, there are at least 5 keyboard tracks on that tune.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got one, proud owner of a Korg Cx3! What kind of amp (besides a Leslie) should I run this through, can I use a PA? Will an organ sound right on a guitar amp like a Crate 2x12 or are there dedicated keyboard amps out there. I've herd that John Lords ran his Hammond through a Marshall stack, but that seems like overkill for what I want to do. Sorry if I'm running this thread off topic.

• Members

Just get the Korg cx3 if you want the old B3/C3/A1 sound or get the Roland V-7/8 if you want pipe organ, GM sounds, Toy organ sound.

The cx3 looks and feels and sounds like a Hammmond but you need a very stereo set up.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Will an organ sound right on a guitar amp like a Crate 2x12?

I use my Crate V32 (2x12) for organ,I like to kick it into the overdrive channel sometimes to get some real grind out of it.I also use a Motion Sound Pro-3T for the high end.

the low end is lacking though,sometimes the speakers flub out if I shove too much bass through it.

but really,I'm just bumping this thread because I'm thinking about auditioning for a reggae band,since I watched Jimmy Clff on Austin City Limits last night,and I was really digging how the keys were used in his band. :thu:

• Members

I got one, proud owner of a Korg Cx3! What kind of amp (besides a Leslie) should I run this through, can I use a PA? Will an organ sound right on a guitar amp like a Crate 2x12 or are there dedicated keyboard amps out there. I've herd that John Lords ran his Hammond through a Marshall stack, but that seems like overkill for what I want to do. Sorry if I'm running this thread off topic.

Never use a guitar amp for keyboards.

• 1 year later...

Archived