discharging capacitors / bitmo trio mod

bluesboy

• Members

From Randall Aiken's website:

Electrolytic (and other type) filter capacitors can hold lethal charges - be sure to discharge them before working on an amplifier. This can be done by shorting the "+" side to the "-" side, or the "+" side to the chassis (unless the cap is in a negative voltage supply, like the bias supply, where you must short the "-" side to the chassis), using a wire or a screwdriver. This will make a big spark and a loud noise, which is sure to impress any onlookers. If you'd rather do it more discreetly, make a jumper cable consisting of alligator clips on the ends, with a resistor in series in the middle of the jumper. Use a value of somewhere between 10K and 100K, with a power rating of 5W or so (a high power rating is not really necessary for dissipation reasons, but mainly because the higher power resistors are physically more robust and won't tend to break). Be sure to adequately insulate the resistor with heat-shrink tubing so the wires aren't exposed, or you'll get shocked while trying to discharge the capacitors. The larger the value of the resistor, the longer it will take to discharge the caps, and the less of a spark you will see. If you use a large value resistor, be sure to leave it in place long enough for it to drain all the charge out of the capacitor (if in doubt, measure the voltage across the capacitor to make sure it is close to zero). Note that many amplifiers will incorporate "bleeder" resistors, which will drain the capacitor charge automatically in a few minutes after the amp is turned off. Don't depend on this resistor to do it's job!

• Members

I think VJ's have a bleeder resistor in the amp. But as stated, don't rely on this resistor because you never know.

On the newer VJ's, it's not simple to drain the capacitors across the cap without removing the whole circuit board, and that would be quite dangerous. iirc, You can drain the capacitors by putting one side of the resistor on pin 3 of the power tube socket and the other side on the chassis and holding it there for about 25 seconds. You should also be able to test the voltage with a multimeter this same way.

the last resistor I used when opening up an amp was an xicon 25k 10w cement block resistor.

And yes, if you don't know what you are doing, do not mess with it

• Members

While we are on the VJ modding subject, how difficult/dangerous is it to upgrade the transformer in the VJ? Do you have to solder anything, or is it just a few screws and a plug? Is there anything else in the VJ head besides tubes that can be modded by a novice without risk of life?

• Members

On my old Marshalls, I just use a jumper wire. I connect to ground on one side and pin 1 of v1 to the other.

It discharges thru the 100k plate resistor on V1.

After I've let the discharge for a long enough time, I take a screwdriver and touch the caps to ground, just in case my discharge wire didn't make a good connection or something. Just to be safe...

• Members

On my old Marshalls, I just use a jumper wire. I connect to ground on one side and pin 1 of v1 to the other.

It discharges thru the 100k plate resistor on V1.

After I've let the discharge for a long enough time, I take a screwdriver and touch the caps to ground, just in case my discharge wire didn't make a good connection or something. Just to be safe...

i understand this suggestion more... thanks for the info

• Members

dude, just do it..........

the caps on the Valve Jr. ARE self bleeding, there is no voltage there.

The OT transformer is easy, I did it as my first mod ever. You have to un-solder and solder a few wires, but it was easy.

the statements above only apply to the VJr., no other amps.....

Archived