Crate Vintage 20 metal clip

thefyn

• Members

Crate Vintage Club 20.

I swapped 2 celestion speakers (g12-70's) and one Eminence speaker for this amp.

So it cost around $120 in gear trade. It was a combo, but it has been converted to a head.

I hooked it up (ohmage mismatch) to a 16 ohm Marshal cab.

The output is 8 ohms so it may sound better via my 8 ohm cab.

I think it is 18 watt, one channel and an El84 powered beastie with ooolllllldddd mystery pre's and sovtek power tubes.

It has reverb on it too which is faint but cool.

Wait for it:

It is the best amp i own! I have told a few peeps on here but I have not started a dedicated thread about it so here it is.

Basically it is a JCM 800 through a power soak to my ears. So I get to crank it, and have pure cascading tone at bedroom levels. When I dime the gain the level is PERFECT for my style, no boost needed!

It has a punch button which I use, and the settings are everything on 5 bar the bass and gain which I dime.

For this clip I have compression in front and that is it.

www.web-design100.com/inst.mp3

I LOVE THIS THING!!! So much so that I am going full out and getting NOS Mullards for the power section and NOS Mullards for the pres.

I am also selling ALL of my other amps bar my Mesa DC-5 combo which I will need only for band practice/channel switching purposes.

The clip was really rough...It was a first amp day record it scramble and I didnt even think twice about mic placement, EQ's etc.

It is just 2 guitar tracks panned hard left and right. I turned the bass guitar down a little so you can hear the tone better.

It is the ONLY amp I have used that can handle frantic palm mutes, and also sound great soloing. Before my ryth sound sounded too harsh to go into a solo...

So I am pissed off. That I spent all this money and time (a LOT of time) looking for my tone and i found it in a {censored}ing CRATE????

This is not a "new amp is the best evah" thread. You know the ones where people cool after a week or so. I really am selling all of my gear because of this amp.

Simple designs rule dude.

• Members

wow, man. i must say that sounds great!

i bought a new V series combo last year. it really sounded quite good. but it got really hot and the build quality was scary. this seemed like a shaky combination so i sold it before something went wrong.

but yours is older and was probably built a lot better than the new ones.

nice find!

• Members

wow, man. i must say that sounds great!

i bought a new V series combo last year. it really sounded quite good. but it got really hot and the build quality was scary. this seemed like a shaky combination so i sold it before something went wrong.

but yours is older and was probably built a lot better than the new ones.

nice find!

The chop shop job they did on the combo to turn it into a head is really funny. It looks like an old wartime radio.

The good news for me is if anything goes wrong with it, I can buy another for $150. I was thinking of doing that anyway to run them in stereo to get more headroom.

It is also light as a feather. I may have trouble keeping up vol wise with a drummer. I will find that out soon.

• Members

The chop shop job they did on the combo to turn it into a head is really funny. It looks like an old wartime radio.

The good news for me is if anything goes wrong with it, I can buy another for $150. I was thinking of doing that anyway to run them in stereo to get more headroom.

It is also light as a feather. I may have trouble keeping up vol wise with a drummer. I will find that out soon.

If you keep talking about them like this they'll go up in price you know. :o:D

• Members

nice tone man

i dig the depth even though these are small crappy laptop speakers.

i found a clean amp in a cheap 10 watt amp (class A) that is much more my style than even my super reverb. it did take some tweaks and speaker swapping but it works. and i dont mind one bit the name gets ragged (epi)

but i never expected a crunch like that from crate, even after reading your setup!

• Members

If you keep talking about them like this they'll go up in price you know.
:o:D

Lol. That actually did cross my mind. Have the seen the feeding frenzy of the Celestion Vintage 30 clones going on right now? They are going like hot cakes. This board can cause some serious gas stampedes. 2 years ago 5150's were always being snapped up due to forum hype. Now you can get them for a good price so I know the cycle will go back to normal if these do start selling.

What I like about it"

IT SOUNDS LIKE A DAMN GUITAR!

My modern tube amps sound more like bloody synthesizers . Serious tone bloat. Yes they sound huge but big deal...They don't sound like bloody guitars any more.

This amp is a creative gem for me. It works on my standard, my B tuned guitar and my passives guitar.

I can't wait to quad track, add solo's/hooks, and properly EQ/Master it etc etc to see how it sounds.

• Members

That sounds awesome. Those Crates are cool amps. One of the best sounding amps my GC carries.
:lol:

I think the {censored}ty speakers they load in these combos are the main reason why they have been overlooked. I have it hooked up to a Marshal 1960b and it is so musical.

• Members

The clips sounds awesome man! How's the 89 treating you?

Its with my guitar tech.

I am getting the following done to my Tokai:

Fret dress, trem setter installation, EMG 81-89 installed, paint touch up, setup/intonation, new knobs, body cavity covers and some other stuff to!

Gonna take about a month...And over $300!! Eeep!

• Members

I thought you said the other day that it broke?

I really like using lower powered amps turned up for that sort of thing. It's really cool how it gets enough compression to play that stuff, but minus the fizz, and no boost needed. Long as it's not outright death metal, I think it works just fine for pretty much any sort of music.

I actually just got a Classic 30 head new in the box for a whopping $370, and I intend to use it for the same sort of thing. Weeee!

I turned it all the way up and played it right next to a JVM. It may be a fraction of the price, but I'll take the Peavey for anything I would have used the JVM for, thank you very much!

Same deal with the Classics about them sucking because of the combo and matching cab speakers. They just sound like anus. Even extreme settings like bass 0 mids 0 treble maxed sounds muddy, but plug it into a good cab and it's like a concrete wall was removed from in front of the speakers.

• Members

I thought you said the other day that it broke?

I really like using lower powered amps turned up for that sort of thing. It's really cool how it gets enough compression to play that stuff, but minus the fizz, and no boost needed. Long as it's not outright death metal, I think it works just fine for pretty much any sort of music.

I actually just got a Classic 30 head new in the box for a whopping $370, and I intend to use it for the same sort of thing. Weeee!

I turned it all the way up and played it right next to a JVM. It may be a fraction of the price, but I'll take the Peavey for anything I would have used the JVM for, thank you very much!

Same deal with the Classics about them sucking because of the combo and matching cab speakers. They just sound like anus. Even extreme settings like bass 0 mids 0 treble maxed sounds muddy, but plug it into a good cab and it's like a concrete wall was removed from in front of the speakers.

Nah, it was the god damned Marshall cab that broke. The mono input side of the circuit board was cutting in and out. I also posted a few weeks back that my Switchblade was doing the same. I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I had to rewire it to a regular mono output and now it works.

• Members

Being without any guitar for a month sucks! Are you putting the 89 in the bridge or the neck? I only tried it in the neck, sounded great but I just got sick of the "active" sound I guess.

Yeah it does. I have 2 guitars in the shop. A USA Kramer is getting an EMG 81/S config and a setup too.

the 89 is going in the neck.

So I only have one guitar in standard, and that only has one cheap pickup in the bridge so I am limited right now. Still recorded tonight though:

80's BC Rich Platinum, SD Detonator in the Bridge, Crate Vintage Club 20. Lol. GLAMOR!

Archived