Even though you guys don't seem to like vintage....

mhuxtable

• Members

mhuxtable wrote:

Every thread I start about a vintage something gets hardly any replies, but this IS the keyboard forum, so I'll just leave this here.... Got this yesterday...family shot with my Moog Opus 3 on top.
DSC_0265.jpg?t=1339671239DSC_0267.jpg

Welcome back, hee hee.

I had enough of vintage keyboards, I sell them all.

The world needs new sounds so I work always with the latest tools.

• Members

I'm happy to see a vintage synth page.

There seems to be a bit of returning to traditional-style synths lately, and I'm glad to see it. Synths are unique because of the sounds they can produce.  Yet, strangely, samplers have been the tendency, and that's a shame.  Nice if you need strings and can't afford an orchestra, or you want a grand piano but it won't fit in your studio apartment.

But synths are special, imo. Tweaking filters, oscillators, envelopes... all to get that special, strange sound that not even a full orchestra could reproduce.

Some people like samplers. I prefer synths. ;)

brian

• Members

I believe there are three majors classes of keyboard instruments -- organs, pianos, and synthesizers.

Samplers seem to straddle the line, doing a bit of all, but nothing perfectly. Synths, being the most diverse sonically, are done the most poorly. But a tiny bit of synthesis added to a sampler (so you can, say, layer two voices) and you signficantly increase its power.

I'm a piano/organ guy, but my current band wants to play a lot of stuff with synth sounds. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a synth again. I have lots of sampled synth sounds, but they ain't the same. I don't get the same joy out of synths as I do the other two, because they involve programming...and my day job is programming...music is supposed to be a release, not a stressor.

I have to admit, though, I'm intrigued at the possibility of using an organ as an input to a synth, like Pete did on "Who Are You".

• Members

I tend to classify Vintage gear into two general categories - there are the classic electro mechanical instruments (Hammonds, Rhodeses, Clavinets, CP70s, etc.) that have a distinct sound and a distinct place in the music I love.   Then there are the early synths ... I consider some of these (i.e., Moog, Oberheim, Prophet, etc.) to be classic gear.  However, there's alot of gear from the early synth world - that wasn't all that special when it first came out (tons of the Korg stuff falls into that category for me - I had a new Poly 61 when it first came out - as far as I'm concerned - I thought it was thin sounding back then and that it hasn't improved with age.  I love me the true classic stuff ... alot of the early synth gear, as far as I'm concerned, it's just old.   I drool over true classic stuff - but the rest of it doesn't dampen my panties a bit.

Then there's the issue of practicality.   My gear is gigging gear.   The maintenance issues of gigging with 20 year old kit aside ... between the increased stage foot print, the weight (Hammonds, Rhodeses, Clavinets, CP70's, etc. ain't light), the extra vehicle space needed, etc. - quality current production stuff better suits my needs.

• Members

Truer words have not been spoken...There's a reason why I own two L100-series Hammonds and two Leslies.  You never know when something's going to die.  That said, I have gone through my primary L100 and one of my Leslies and replaced a lot of what is likely to fail with high-quality new parts.

And the weight issue is why my Hammond of choice is the L100. 200 lbs lighter than my BC.  And even the L100 series is a pain to move.  I was mighty tempted by the VR-700 I played yesterday...

That said, my stage foot print is more compact that many keyboard players.  The Leslie doesn't use much more area than a typical keyboard amp (3 sqft more?), and I usually put my keyboard amp on top of it.  The spinet organ takes up less area than the stage piano on top of it.  All the cords are put away in a compartment underneath the organ.  The rat's nest in this photo is not mine, it belongs to the house PA and (to a lesser extent) the bass player. :)

Bob_MacKenzie_100_2463.JPG

• Members

I gigged Friday night (me on guitar) with a keys player playing an emulator 2 and a MiniMoog D. The emu seemed like more trouble than it was worth. I'd take my ipad and an el cheapo 61 key controller over it any day. The minimoog,on the other hand, blew me away. I played on Saturday night with my vintage vibe EP, MIDI'd into a laptop with some wonderful stuff that's a huge pleasure to play. Specifically - Scarbee clav through a phaser. I'd put my vintage vibe into the"vintage" category,even though it's only a year old.

What I'm getting at is this - I think there's a lot of joy to be had with new technology, and there's a lot of joy to be had with vintage gear. You gotta do your best to get the good out of what you've got, either way.

I admit I'm also selfishly getting at this - I LOVE my Vintage Vibe EP.

Archived