Can anyone give me a rundown on the different JCM800s?

unit11

• Members

Bass and superbass are just like the previous non-MV models, except with JCM800 cosmetics. They didn't quit making them, they just added the newer models. Yes, very guitar friendly.

I thought the 800 series Superbass were a lot different? For some reason I thought they changed them and made them with a lot more headroom.

Or perhaps Im thinking of a different JCM 800 bass amp?!?

• Members
FYI - Morello plays a 2205. Angus plays a JTM45. Frusciante plays Plexis.

:wave:

Morello plays a 2204 and has done so since the first RATM album. Frusciante does use Plexi's and some other Marshall, but his main amp is http://www.blamepro.com/mar1360.htm. a Silver jubilee which were based on the 2203/2204. Angus used JMP 2203's which were the predecessors of the later JCM 800 2203's and are 98% the same thing. Whatever Slash is using nowadays it's well known he used JCM800's and even has a signature JCM800. So who's PWNED here?!?:p

• Members
Morello plays a 2204 and has done so since the first RATM album. Frusciante does use Plexi's and some other Marshall, but his main amp is
http://www.blamepro.com/mar1360.htm
. a Silver jubilee which were based on the 2203/2204. Angus used JMP 2203's which were the predecessors of the later JCM 800 2203's and are 98% the same thing. Whatever Slash is using nowadays it's well known he used JCM800's and even has a signature JCM800. So who's PWNED here?!?
:p

Morello never used a 2204 - do a little bit of research. He bought a 2205 and a Peavey cab the night before he went into a studio, because his normal gear got ripped off. Quoted from Wiki:

"To assist in his alien guitar sounds, Morello chooses various effects pedals. During his tenure in RATM, he used a Dunlop Cry Baby, a Digitech WH-1 Whammy, a Boss DD-2 Digital Delay, a DOD EQ pedal (used to boost the volume during guitar solos), and an Ibanez DFL Flanger. For his work with Audioslave, Morello added a Boss TR-2 Tremolo pedal (which can be heard on "Like a Stone" and "Gasoline") and replaced the Ibanez Flanger with a MXR Phase 90. His amplifier of choice has always been a 50-watt Marshall JCM 800 2205 and a Peavey 4x12 cabinet. While the amplifier has two channels, he only uses the overdrive channel, and simply turns down the volume on his guitar to get cleaner sounds."

The Jube has diode clipping, so no, it's not similar to a 2204. Just because Slash has used both doesn't mean that they are similar amps. The Jube is closer the a 2205/2210/JCM900 gain and tone-wise than the 2204/2203.

Angus was made famous for using a JTM45 during AC/DC's heyday. He toured using JMP's, but again, everyone knows his studio tone, which is a JTM45 turned up to about 6-7. Not much gain going on there, just open chords and blues solos with lots of conviction.

• Members

Morello never used a 2204 - do a little bit of research. He bought a 2205 and a Peavey cab the night before he went into a studio, because his normal gear got ripped off. Quoted from Wiki:

"To assist in his alien guitar sounds, Morello chooses various effects pedals. During his tenure in RATM, he used a Dunlop Cry Baby, a Digitech WH-1 Whammy, a Boss DD-2 Digital Delay, a DOD EQ pedal (used to boost the volume during guitar solos), and an Ibanez DFL Flanger. For his work with Audioslave, Morello added a Boss TR-2 Tremolo pedal (which can be heard on "Like a Stone" and "Gasoline") and replaced the Ibanez Flanger with a MXR Phase 90. His amplifier of choice has always been a 50-watt Marshall JCM 800 2205 and a Peavey 4x12 cabinet. While the amplifier has two channels, he only uses the overdrive channel, and simply turns down the volume on his guitar to get cleaner sounds."

The Jube has diode clipping, so no, it's not similar to a 2204. Just because Slash has used both doesn't mean that they are similar amps. The Jube is closer the a 2205/2210/JCM900 gain and tone-wise than the 2204/2203.

Angus was made famous for using a JTM45 during AC/DC's heyday. He toured using JMP's, but again, everyone knows his studio tone, which is a JTM45 turned up to about 6-7. Not much gain going on there, just open chords and blues solos with lots of conviction.

:thu:

I'll add that Slash did use an early '70s Marshall modded by Caswell on AFD, and did use 2203's live some times in the early days.

• Members
But that still doesn't take away the fact that 2203/2204's sound WAY better as 2205/2210's
:D

So now we're going from "These guys used a 2204" to "The 2204 sound better"? :confused:

FWIW, I prefer the 2203/2204, but the 2205 and 2210 can sound great through the right cab and with the right player.

• Members

What was the 2206? I saw an ad in the back of some old Guitar World, i can't remember who but they listed his gear and it was a Marshall 2206 50 watt, single channel, and it was in the background. Looked like a small box, like a 3203.

Was that the JCM600 or something?

• Members

Hey I just bought a JCM800 2205 and when I looked at the back I was surprised to find 5 ECC83 preamp valves because I always thought these amps had 3 of them. Does anyone know the difference between the 3 valve and the 5 valve version? Sounds great btw :D

• Members
So now we're going from "These guys used a 2204" to "The 2204 sound better"?
:confused:

FWIW, I prefer the 2203/2204, but the 2205 and 2210 can sound great through the right cab and with the right player.

If you read back a little, in my first post on this topic i was just telling the poster i and most people like the 2204/2203 better as the 2205/2210. I never started this who uses what bull{censored}:confused:. Who cares what the stars play anyway. They would probably sound better through a Behringer amp as most of us through whatever Marshall anyway. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've owned both the JCM800 2203 and the 800 superlead and I prefer the latter. I still own the JCM800 1959, and I swear, I will be buried with this amp. Mine's been heavily modified though: MV, Lead Channel (makes the 5150 sound like a fender twin), Effects loop, Warmth mod control: - great when paired with fender guitars - it beefs it up tremendously.

Archived