Opinions on Ceria Tone and Avatar Speakers?

unit11

• Members

Friend of mine wants a JCM800, so I tell him about Ceria Tone, which sells JCM800 2204 kits for an affordable price (he's cool with building his own enclosure - he's an art guy and thinks that makes it more spontaneous or something).

Also, instead of going with a specific brand of cabs (first wanted a Marshall 1960A), I tell him about Avatar Speakers.

Now I've probably saved him a hell of a search for the JCM800 as well as over $500 between the cab and the amp. But am I in the okay for recommending Ceria and Avatar? I don't have experience with their products - are they any good? Reliable?

• Members

I have a Ceriatone 18W TMB, and it sounds good. Obviously, there are some cost savings going on, but I doubt you'll find a better amp for the price. They are built on turret boards, so servicing and modding the amp is much easier than PCB, which is a definite plus.

I also happen to have an Avatar 2x12 (one of the standard ones, not one of the vintage ones) and it sounds good. It's not an Orange, but it doesn't carry the pricetag, either.

• Members

Damn, I want one of those 2204 kits! I'd like to know how easy they are to assemble. Do you have to know a lot about amp building? Or can anyone do it (provided they have tools and detailed instructions).

Or, do they all come pre-assembled?

• Members

Damn, I want one of those 2204 kits! I'd like to know how easy they are to assemble. Do you have to know a lot about amp building? Or can anyone do it (provided they have tools and detailed instructions).

Or, do they all come pre-assembled?

Pre-assembled is an option. If you are going to build the amp, it takes a little bit of know-how in terms of keeping your high voltage and low voltage lines seperate, and measuring voltage, along with how to solder.

There are no detailed instructions for amps from Ceriatone - there's a layout, and that's it.

Archived