Calling all Soldano guys!

BadHorsie

• Members

I'm buying one today. I am going for the SLO 100, but what I'm hearing about the loop and the much needed depth mod are giving me pause. I need to run some delay, chorus and phasing on and off, and from everything I've read, the loop does not take pedals well. I've also got a Lexicon rack unit which I can run at +4db, but that severely limits me when jamming (stuck on one preset unless I physically switch it).

As for the depth mod, I don't want to pay this much only to have to go that little extra for some bottom end. I have recently played an SLO, and I didn't notice a lack of anything, but I didn't have it cranked.

So, having said all this, should I buy a Decatone instead? Adjustable loop, existing depth control, and all reports say the overdrive is the same as the SLO. Is there any reason not to go with the Decatone?

• Members

I really see no need for the depth mod unless you play alot of nu-metal or downtuned metal. I have a Hot Rod 50+ (it has less lowend than the SLO) and I still have alot of low end on tap.

The FX loop can easily be modded to accept pedals, it just involves a resistor change and adding in another capsistor.

I've never played a Decatone, but from what I've heard, they sound great and they have one of the best clean channels Soldano makes. I've also heard that it doesn't quite compare to the SLO. It's still that signature Soldano overdrive sound. I would say try one out, if you can, to help make your decision. You might like it.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. No Nu-Metal for me. No downtuning, either. Most of my stuff is Satriani-style instrumental tunes, and when I'm not doing that, I'm riffing around on the million or so '80s metal tunes I grew up on. Lynch,DeMartini,Van Halen etc. I don't even do dropped-D stuff cause it's too much of a hassle to set up w/ the trem.

I'm getting a new amp because my Single Rec seems to come from an age just beyond what I most love to play. I will always love that amp and will never part with it, but when I play something like "Round and Round", it doesn't give me what I want.

• Members

My other guitar player has the SLO with no mods. It has plenty of bottom end and he runs all his FX (quite a few actually) into the front end. Its a great amp.

That's good to hear. I'm feeling better about the SLO. I've actually gone ahead and ordered it. Now it's time to sit and go crazy waiting.

I played an SLO 212 combo the other day, and I was blown away. I've been tempted to go snag it, but all this stuff about depth mods has me thinking I'm better off with the head, running it into my Mesa 412. (v30s and 75s in an X).

• Members

i had the decatone. it sounded great. but the bass and the clarity diminished as the chanels progressed in gain

clean>crunch>overdrive.

the s.l.o sounds bigger to me. the depth mod , i couldnt care less.

on stage to much bass make the sound suck anyway.i have a bass player for that.

the loop is set to a pro level -4 db. it doesnt do pedals in the loop well.

i like pedals in front anyway.

the s.l.o is built tougher too. all tubes and knobs are hanwired to the chasis.

lifetime transferable warranty.

and its the s.l.o nuff said:thu:

• Members

It's also worth noting that the depth also adds some lower mids to the sound. It sounds pretty thick without it, just helps at lower volumes if you're practicing/can't crank it up much. As already stated, turning up above 4 is when you hit that sweet spot - thick, more bass and more of that gooey, liquid tone. It's a loud amp and I would also reccomend to you, to tweak the knobs from 0 on up, instead of from 5. I keep the mids and treble at 4 or under at all times and the presence at 4 (all out of 11), just for a frame of reference.

• Members
It's also worth noting that the depth also adds some lower mids to the sound. It sounds pretty thick without it, just helps at lower volumes if you're practicing/can't crank it up much. As already stated, turning up above 4 is when you hit that sweet spot - thick, more bass and more of that gooey, liquid tone. It's a loud amp and I would also reccomend to you, to tweak the knobs from 0 on up, instead of from 5. I keep the mids and treble at 4 or under at all times and the presence at 4 (all out of 11), just for a frame of reference.

Thanks. Like I said previously, I played one last week and can't imagine that amp needing something more. I've heard that before about starting fron zero on the tone controls.

Archived