help! with my noisey as hell splawn!

freakk guitarist

• Members

hey guys i just got back from a little tour, and the whole time ive been out my splawn has been CRAZY noisy. i recently modded my quickrod for kt88s which sounds awesome. and i noticed it was slightly dull sounding before i left for tour...so i ordered 2 tungsol 12ax7s and 2 EH 12ax7s for a retube and one backup. now my amp just hisses and whines, no matter what tube combo. i have been able to figure out that its MOSTLY when OD2 is on (since i dont have a footswitch i have to use a regular guitar cable plugged in to FW jack 1. could that be the issue? not only does it whine and buzz, but it also feedsback very easily and has a sort of dead/boxy feel to it that it never used to have

• Members
hey guys i just got back from a little tour, and the whole time ive been out my splawn has been CRAZY noisy. i recently modded my quickrod for kt88s which sounds awesome. and i noticed it was slightly dull sounding before i left for tour...so i ordered 2 tungsol 12ax7s and 2 EH 12ax7s for a retube and one backup. now my amp just hisses and whines, no matter what tube combo. i have been able to figure out that its MOSTLY when OD2 is on (since i dont have a footswitch i have to use a regular guitar cable plugged in to FW jack 1. could that be the issue? not only does it whine and buzz, but it also feedsback very easily and has a sort of dead/boxy feel to it that it never used to have

ISP Decimator :idea:

• Members

I hate EH preamp tubes in general, but I severely dislike them in my Quickrod. I really like the way the Chinese C9 preamp tubes sound. The Tung-Sols are pretty good too, but they will have a tendency to feedback more since they have ass-loads of gain. You may have knocked something around when you modded them amp for the KT88s, too :confused:.

I use C9s in my preamp section and Ruby EL34s and it's VERY quiet, except the feedback from me liking to run the gain a little on the high side. :)

Aside from the noise issue, how do the KT88s sound? I've been considering the swap for a while on one of my Splawns.

Archived