The EVH 5150-III Asylum: A thread for owners & enthusiasts...

The Jeff

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this amp should appeal to people that on the one hand want a refined Marshall, like an H&K or a Cornford, and on the other hand want a good biting metal tone that sounds pretty heavy.

It had some resemblence to the 5150 in terms of the mids, but not the low-mid sludge. My favorite thing about it was that it is one of only two amps I have ever played where the channels were three continuous variations. They overlap, and they are voiced pretty much the same. You start in the 50's with some wamr jazzy {censored}, get some 60's crunch, go to channel two and pick up in the 70's-90's and then hit three for the last stop. The other amp I feel sounds coherent BTW is the Savage, but the channels aren't discrete on the Savage (1,2 goes with 3,4 though).

• Members

I have been the proud owner of the black 5153 for 2 weeks now. I had to exchange my first head, due to problems w/ the preamp tubes and possibly something in the circuitry. Channel 2 sounded weak and had very little gain, about as much gain as channel 1 dimed. Definitely not the way it sounded or functioned when I test drove the 5153. I looked in the head chassis and found a mishmash of 12AX7s, some Electro-Harmonix, Groove Tubes and Sovteks! The 6L6s were Sovtek WXTs. I called Fender and asked why the mishmash of tubes and they told myself and the salesperson that the 12AX7s they were originally going to use (Electro-Harmonix) were short on supply and they will from now on stock JJ/Tesla 6L6s and 12AX7s. Also, channel 3 was 2x louder than ch 1&2 when all 3 volume knobs were set the same, so it was more than just a bad 12AX7, something was up w/ the circuitry, so Fender said. So I exchanged the head for a new one. My new head has all JJ/Tesla tubes and channel 2 sounds great - the way it's supposed to! Plenty of beefy punch and gain now with the gain set at noon.

Has anyone else experienced any problems w/ the 5153? I hope not. What kind of tubes are you guys finding in your head?

I'm going to send you a PM on this just in case you don't read this, but my problem was identical!!! I just took the head back to the store a few hours ago to get a new one. On mine, channels 1 and 2 were low volume and 3 was super loud! Weird. I should have my new one by Monday and will let you know if I experience the same thing. The guy at the store thinks that the preamp tubes were loose, etc on a few. We'll see. :)

• Members

I'm going to send you a PM on this just in case you don't read this, but my problem was identical!!! I just took the head back to the store a few hours ago to get a new one. On mine, channels 1 and 2 were low volume and 3 was super loud! Weird. I should have my new one by Monday and will let you know if I experience the same thing. The guy at the store thinks that the preamp tubes were loose, etc on a few. We'll see.
:)

Hey Mike, Got your PM. Looks like you got things figured out. Maybe remove the back mesh grill plate and take a quick peek at the preamp tubes to make sure they are all Sovteks. Its very easy to do. I checked mine and it didn't show the symptoms you described. If yours has a mixed batch of preamp tubes then I think the dealer would gladly fix it for you.

• Members

Yesterday I took a drive down to Durham NC to see Greg Germino. I purchased one of his 4x12 straight cabs, with Heritage 20 watt Greenbacks. Greg is one hell of guy and a gentleman. What a class act. I decided I would get his 4x12, since they're only $100 more than a $1100 EVH. Gregs cabs are built like no other and his knowledge, of amps, speakers and cabs is second to none. I heard a 67 and 68 100 watt Super Leads and an original 4x12 basket weave slant cab, with original 20 watt GBs. My fillings shook loose and it was only on 6-7.

The Heritage 20 watt speakers are much clearer and more articulate than the standard G12M 25 GB. The 20 watt design is a great match with the EVH head. It has a a great crunch and all 3 channels sound improved with his cab.

• Members

its good with the uberkab, ive spent the most time on the mesa cab but the uber is pretty sweet alswo. tomorrow im gonna try it with the uberkab again.

let me know too if you can. I'm thinking of whether I should trade my bogner standard cab for the uber cab or not (trying out the 5153 soon too... and might be buying it if I like it)... so, since you have both, you should let me know ;):p

• Members

I should have my new 5150 III (or my fixed old one) by tommorrow afternoon. I can't wait to plug in again. I really love the amp!

I don't know if you guys noticed but there is this awesome growl with this amp when you hit a chord and just let it ring. The only other amp I have heard this on is a Cameron modded Marshall. I can't even put my finger on what it is but I know it is a sound I love. Some examples of this "sound" are on the DIO Live DVD during Doug Aldrich's guitar solo and Eddie's tone during DLR's talking part on Van Halen's "Panama". It is almost like the growl of a car engine. I can't explain it. It just sounds powerful, full, and like 20 stacks lined up. :thu:

• Members

I spent time on my new Germino 4x12 straight cab with the 20 watt greenies and OMG :eek:. But the OMG effect got better, when I plugged both cabs. One 4x12 with v30s+Hellatones and the other with 20 watt greenies. The 5153 rulz m/ :evil: m/

• Members

I got my 5153 back today, fixed and LOUD AGAIN!!! :thu:

The salesman opened up the back of the amp and looked at the preamp tubes, and one of the tubes for channels 1 and 2 had a bent wire, which explains the volume drop. He fixed it and cranked it in the store and it SCREAMED!!!!

I'm glad to be back in the saddle with the amp. :thu:

• Members

yea, I agree with Zao. It can do everything from Clean to Blues to 70s Rock/Southern Rock to 80s Rock/Metal to Modern Brutal Metal.

And sounds great with a WIDE variety of guitars....not TOO picky of a head.

All in all after all the amps i've been through, I can safely say...thus far, if I had to choose 1 to stick with I'd pick this one.

I might actually just stick to one fullstack for gigs. Just the 5153 and the 2 splawn cabs.

• Members

Hey - a question for all you 5153 owners.

Does your channel 2 have a buzz when cranked, and channel 3 a constant hiss? I discovered this today while I had the channel volumes and gains set at noon. Please let me know if this is normal, and if any of you have the same noises? Thanks so much.

Oh yeah, I tried out a Bogner Shiva and A/B'd it with the 5153, and the 5153 won on all counts, IMHO. Not to knock Bogner, though, it still sounded great, I guess I'm just a 6L6 man!

• Members

Hey - a question for
all
you 5153 owners.

Does your channel 2 have a buzz when cranked, and channel 3 a constant hiss? I discovered this today while I had the channel volumes and gains set at noon. Please let me know if this is normal, and if any of you have the same noises? Thanks so much.

Oh yeah, I tried out a Bogner Shiva and A/B'd it with the 5153, and the 5153 won on all counts, IMHO. Not to knock Bogner, though, it still sounded great, I guess I'm just a 6L6 man!

I think mine is pretty quiet. There is a soft hiss but nothing that I would deem annoying or unusual. I think it is more quiet than my other amps.

Archived