Help me beef up my 5150II!!

ReighIB

• Members

Im not exactly sure what to do to give my 5150II more beef. Currently the amp, to me, sounds thin and empty. Im not exactly sure what it is but im not really enjoying playing on that amp at the moment. Maybe the tubes? My guitar(Jackson SLSMG soloist)? Or am i just getting over the 5150II? It may be the tubes because I havent replace them in nearly a year but im not exactly sure when and how to replace them(sad, i know :cry:) Any suggestions is much appreciated.

• Members

Here you go. When retubing, put in JJ 6L6 power tubes and 6 Tung Sol preamp tubes. Bias the amp to 34 mA. The JJs power tubes are real thick through the mid, and the tung sol pre's make your tone VERY defined. Biasing the amp will bring it to life, less cold.

• Members

Watch this video and see if the tone is something like what you are looking for.

That of course is my stock 5150 II through a V30 loaded Boogie "over-sized" cab. And that is at low volume. I recorded that at 1 on the master volume.

The amp is tubed with Tung-sol reissues in V1 through V5 and a Sovtek LPS in the PI. The power amp is tubed with JJ 6L6GC`s. It doesn`t even have the bias mod done.

The guitar is my Gutierrez Juggernaut which is mahogany with a wenge neck-through and an EMG 85 in the bridge position.

No f/x or external EQ. You can also see the amp EQ is set very moderately. It sounds pretty damn thick to me. And I`ve gotten a lot of good feedback on the tone.

Check it out and see what you think. PM me if you want some more info.

Eric

• Members

Watch this video and see if the tone is something like what you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQNZ74NDfAg

That of course is my stock 5150 II through a V30 loaded Boogie "over-sized" cab. And that is at low volume. I recorded that at 1 on the master volume.

The amp is tubed with Tung-sol reissues in V1 through V5 and a Sovtek LPS in the PI. The power amp is tubed with JJ 6L6GC`s. It doesn`t even have the bias mod done.

The guitar is my Gutierrez Juggernaut which is mahogany with a wenge neck-through and an EMG 85 in the bridge position.

No f/x or external EQ. You can also see the amp EQ is set very moderately. It sounds pretty damn thick to me. And I`ve gotten a lot of good feedback on the tone.

Check it out and see what you think. PM me if you want some more info.

Eric

I rest my case V30's in a oversize cab and a kick azz gutierrez :rawk: =

Nice job baz

• Members

if it sounds thin, im willing to bet its your cab and your guitar, especially if the guitar is using emgs. emgs only sound good for drop tunings, imo.

Youre probably right about my pickups but Im not sure about the cab, though. Right now Im using Genz benz 412 Gflex. I imagined it should at least boost up my sound in one way or another. Thats the reason I got an oversized cab in the first place.

• Members

i know this is pretty obvious, but what volume are you playing it at? between bedroom volumes and cranked its a night and day difference, obviously you get more thickness and saturation when its cranked up. I miss my shifty one shifty:cry:

Heres my favourite 5150 tone, the lead tone at the end is just juicy.

Archived