VHT guys...tell me about the GP3 preamp

v_c

• Members

Im thinking of replacing my Rectifier preamp with one of these....wow the feature list looks amazing for the price...

Any thoughts or opinions? I'd probably pair it up with maybe a 2/50/2, good choice?

• Members

I had a GP-3 and a 2/50/2 years back (actually when GP-3 came out).

Excellent cleans, excellent rhythm, the EQ works gr8, but don't expect a UL tone. It's more similar to a CLX.

that's probably because you were using the 2502 power amp...if you had used the 2902 power amp, you would have been able to get UL tones. the GP3, UL and CLX all have basically the same preamp.

• Members

I had a GP-3 and a 2/50/2 years back (actually when GP-3 came out).

Excellent cleans, excellent rhythm, the EQ works gr8, but don't expect a UL tone. It's more similar to a CLX.

Agreed, however, if you use a 2/90/2 or a 2150, you will get a UL tone.

I used to have one as well, it's a great preamp. If you haven't played a VHT before you may be put off, VHT's are a love/hate kind of amp. They're very "dry" and all your mistakes will be heard.

Two cool feature is a built in valvulator buffer and the FX loop designed for pedals in front of the amp and the dynamics knob, which makes it easy for sloppy players to cover up their picking inconsistencies and can really make the amp touch sensitive if your confidant in your playing enough to turn it way down.

-W

• Members

Agreed, however, if you use a 2/90/2 or a 2150, you will get a UL tone.

I used to have one as well, it's a great preamp. If you haven't played a VHT before you may be put off, VHT's are a love/hate kind of amp. They're very "dry" and all your mistakes will be heard.

Two cool feature is a built in valvulator buffer and the FX loop designed for pedals in front of the amp and the dynamics knob, which makes it easy for sloppy players to cover up their picking inconsistencies and can really make the amp touch sensitive if your confidant in your playing enough to turn it way down.

-W

I honestly don't hear even the UL as being "dry" It's a lot stiffer than most amps. The gain can get really hairy with the onboard eq...I got my UL sounding pretty loose and fuzzy though (really surprised me), almost to the realm of KSE :confused: i think it's all in how you dial and your guit/pup combo....

Archived