B3 style Lowrey Organ

DylanWilde

Guest Anonymous

So mate_stubb.

I would like to get a M3 and Leslie. Which Leslie will work and sound the best? Also, are there different variations of a M3?

:wave:

• Members

The big organ pictured here is not a Festival, it's a Lowrey Symphonic Theatre Console, model H25-3. Garth used this model, which featured a built-in string & brass symphonizer, from early 1974 onwards.

The other one pictured above is indeed the old model Festival that he used during the '60's. Garth was also using a Lowrey Lincolnwood Deluxe, model TSO-25 for a brief period during the early '70s.

Micke

This sounds about right. I finally got a chance to check out the model no. and it indeed says "FL" which I assume, since I looked it up in a model list online, is representative of the original Festival (Tube Console model) manufactured in 1959.

Guest Anonymous

Thanx for the info guys. I have a old friend I haven't seen in a while that kept a M3 at home and a C3 with some Leslie and a tone cabinet for live use. I always thought the M3 was pretty cool. I think one would be nice to have around since it should sound better that most samples in romplers.

• Members

I have always liked M-3s. They are the only Hammond spinet worth having IMO. If I couldn't have a full sized console for some reason, that's the organ I would get.

Advantages over L-100 series: true scanner vibrato, waterfall keys

Advantages over M-100 series: waterfall keys

• Members

I have always liked M-3s. They are the only Hammond spinet worth having IMO. If I couldn't have a full sized console for some reason, that's the organ I would get.

Advantages over L-100 series: true scanner vibrato, waterfall keys

Advantages over M-100 series: waterfall keys

The M-100 is worth considering. Advantages of an M-100 over M-3: reverb(s), presets, full (C to C) octave pedals, 2 main speakers - 1 reverb speaker. With expection of these added features and divingboard keys, the M-100 is an M-3... still a baby B.

• Members

My bass player and I just loaded this thing into my apartment. Mother of God. . .It's heavy.

It seems to work better each time I power it on (the sounds stabilizes, keys function better, etc.). It looks like it has barely been taken care of since the 50s, so I am going to try cleaning it and checking it out tomorrow. From what I can get out of it so far, it sounds pretty good. More info and maybe even pics later.

• Members

I opened up the back and I was preparing to see vacuum tubes. . .but not so many! There are about 70 tubes all in all. A hell of a lot. Do these need to be replaced? They are lighting up and working, but I am still getting patchy sound, no bass pedal sound, and not quite all of the flute sounds on the top manual.

I am thinking maybe I need to get further inside and clean it out decently. . .In any case, it's a cool old Lowrey organ.

Oh, just in case, are there any vintage organ repair places that would work on something like this? Say, maybe in the Michigan/Ohio area?

• Members

I'm going to second Mate's post. Play with it. A lot. Play the keys, flip the switches, press the pedals, even if they aren't making the right sound at the moment. If it's just been sitting around for a long time, there's probably some gunk built up in there that needs to be shaken out.

• 6 years later...

Archived