Hey Ma! Look! Im a synthesist! (studio pics/gear list thread)

Analog Kid

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by grumphh

When do you ever get to make music?
:confused:

I mean, as tidy as that room is you must spend your entire free time cleaning up...
:D
:D

And
Jigg
, nope, still no success.

Lol. I can't work amidst organized confusion. :D I like to also keep it neat because I sometimes work with other people on their stuff. I wouldn't want to come off as a slob. ;)

The laptop and the Fantom-X are full of my own concepts and the Virus is leading the pack with how many of my own hacks and created sounds. The Clavia Nord Modular G2 will fill the slot below the Virus C. I'm also waiting on Motu's Mach V. To free up time to do more of my own stuff, I'm looking at letting the day job go or getting a new job within the day job.

The Juno 106(Although I might keep it a bit longer because Brits love this thing), AX60, and the Fantom-S will be sold. I intend to add another 828 MkII and possibly complete a DJ setup with a DJ mixer and another Numark TTX-1 turntable.

Everything you see in the desk is the core system. The G5 is running DP4, Peak 4, Garageband, SoundDiver Virus, The Korg Legacy Collection, and soon, Mach V.

So soon again, I'll have everything covered. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm currently in the (slow) process of re-building, but in the meantime, here is a pic of the livingroom set-up I'm using for the time being:

EDIT: ok, the direct image post isn't working, so let's try this. copy and paste the URL and get rid of the space after the http:// ... sorry, tripod kind of sucks...

http:// members.tripod.com/static_insect/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ministudio.jpg

here's the list:

sound sources
Fenix modular
Modcan/Cyndustries modular on order
Clavia Nord Modular
Clavia G2 Engine s.o.o.n.
Elektron Machinedrum
Elektron Sidstation
Yamaha A-5000

hoping at this point to add a Radikal Spectralis and Roland SH-2; plus a Serge "Animal" panel to the modular; at some point

processors
Eventide DSP-4000 s.o.o.n.
Lexicon NuVerb
Lexicon PCM-81
t.c. electronic FireworX
t.c. electronic M-300
Ensoniq DP/4
Line 6 Echo Pro
Korg SDD-3300
MAM RS-3
Frostwave Resonator

mixing/recording/monitoring
Mackie 1402 VLZ (replace w/ Allen & Heath 16:2 ASAP)
Sony MDR-7506
PIII 800MHz w/Hoontech 8x8 audio interface
patchbay and MIDI router

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

finally i borrowed a digital camera from a friend, so here's a few pic of my current setup:

more pic in bigger res can be found

that's an unbelivably killer setup... i love the mojo between the Rhodes and the analog synths

• Members

powerbook g4 867 with a gig of ram running digital performer, reaktor, kontakt, and max/msp
pc running cubase vst 5.1, nuendo, reaktor, and emulator x (with the 1820m audio interface)
novation remote 25 controller
emu e4xt ultra sampler (maxed out)
2 technics 1200mk2's with ortofon om dj carts
vestax pmc25 mixer
soundcraft ghost 24 channel analog console
iz RADAR 24 track recorder
hafler amp
tannoy reveal monitors
studio projects c1
sennheiser md421
akg d112
2 akg c1000s's
2 shure sm58's
allen&heath mix wizard 16:dx
yamaha sy22
fender american double fat strat
bc rich usa handmade neck thru beast
fender american jazz bass
hoffner accoustic
mesa boogie tri axis pre amp
mesa boogie strategy 400 power amp
2 marshall 1960a cabs
hart pro kick
alesis dm5 trigger module
behringer headphone distribution amp
powermac g4 400mhz with 1.2 gigs of ram running digital performer
motu 2408mkII audio interface
morley saphire flange
electro harmonix small clone
electro hamonix big muff
peavy studio pro 112
stu1.jpg
stu2.jpg
stu3.jpg

• Members

I've been enjoying everyone's pics. While I was browsing, an episode of some makeover show was on, and it occurred to me that most of your spaces are very bare, undecorated, unpersonalized, and in some cases... I mean... damn. (mine doesn't look any better, BTW)

Worse than that, over and over I did not see any acoustic treatment on the walls, and after doing this myself, I can tell you that small rooms with square corners are not doing your mixes any favors.

When you sit down to make Art, the space should be warm, inspirational, and personal, IMHO.

So put up some inspirational art or photos (in nice frames), paint the walls with favorite colors, get rid of those hideous curtains, and get some acoustic foam and bass traps up so you can hear better. Breaking up reflected sound is the goal, not deadening the room.

In a nutshell, traps usually go in the corners, put some foam on the wall behind the speakers, and a bit less foam or diffuser panels on the wall opposite the speakers. I put up several 12x12x2" foam spike tiles on the 'back' wall in a checkerboard pattern.

You can get way more scientific if you like, but that'll cover most issues, damp reflected sound, and leave you listening only to what is coming out of the speakers... what a concept!

P.S. Don't pay the extortionate prices for foam n'traps from the names, get it from www.markertek.com for cheap.

Cheers,

funkylaptop

• Members
Originally posted by FunkyLaptop

I did not see any acoustic treatment on the walls, and after doing this myself, I can tell you that small rooms with square corners are not doing your mixes any favors. and get some acoustic foam and bass traps up so you can hear better. Breaking up reflected sound is the goal, not deadening the room.

Couldnt agree more.

So far i just couldnt join time/money to do it properly, I only use 5-6 pieces of acoustic foam panels, altough it's a fairly big room so it has less problems than, for example, my friends small room where MF reflections and standing LF waves are killing my ears.

It's a classic scenario - we buy and stack up expensive intruments without stopping to resolve these fundamental issues. It is pointless!! What good is that great A/D converter and boutique preamp with fantastic frequency response, if you cant hear what the hell you're doing, and end up setting your mic position or eq and mix completely wrong.

so i decided to deal with this, and restrain from any new hardware until its done..

first, after this summer i'm gonna buy some Auralex Super Bass Traps or have made something similar, i'll have couple of home-made diffusors, and add MF/HF panels for flutter/echo attenuation.

besides that, i'm having problems with grounding and graphic card/windows GUI 'bleed-thru' in my D/A , which is terrible. This i'm dealing with right now - Poor grounding is also quite common problem in home studios, often neglected. Ground loops and inherent system noise make those S/N and Dynamic Range figures on your fancy audio cards pure science fiction. it's more like 70dB than 100.

and finally, i mean to invest into making my computer even more silent, altough i resolved this to an extent.

So put up some inspirational art or photos (in nice frames)

i do have one and its enormous - it was a gift by one of the experimental film directors i worked with , who is also an art photographer. This came straight from the exhibition:

DSC01442-640.jpg

/edit: here's two more studio pic:/

DSC01438-640.jpg
DSC01456-640.jpg

• Members

I treated my walls with an acoustic helping parachute! It makes the room completely dead. Only cost me like 50 bucks, and some push pins. how's that for cheap?

Wow, it's creating acoustic dead space between the chute and the wall... Pretty cool. I'm not the biggest fan of a completely dead space, but if you like it, then it's cool.

Keep that fabric away from the power strips, wall warts, and room heater, eh?

Thinking about it, I bet camo netting would make an interesting diffuser. Some sound would get absorbed, some would bounce through and back, the main obstacle would be the wife... :-)

Maybe draped 'chute at the speaker end of the room, camo netting on the other, and leave a little wall showing to liven the space up a bit, I think that would be very nice. There'd be a certain Ted Nugent, be-all-you-can-be vibe at that point, but it'd work for me. :-)

Funkylaptop

Archived