Hey Ma! Look! Im a synthesist! (studio pics/gear list thread)

Analog Kid

• Members

yeah, check it out--i found one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=38071

This auction is for a Kawai XD-5 Drum Module. A lot of electronica folks, myslef included, really like this box. It is a drum only synthesizer, based on the Kawai K4 synth engine. This box has way more synthesis functions than a typical drumbox, so you can get some terrific sounds out of it. There are a lot of great Kraftwerk style drum sounds onboard, and it has some good lopass filters and a groovy ring modulator. The best feature in my opinion, is that it has 8 discrete quarter inch outputs. I find drum machines absolutely useless unless they have this feature, as you can apply external effects to single sounds in your kit. I routinely routed this machine through a sherman filter bank and moog lopass, and of course it sounded amazing. you can't really do that with stereo output machines from Alesis or Roland. It has 256 onboard waveforms, and can store 16 drumkits

It is in perfect working order, with some minor scuffs, thought the front panel generally looks good.****IMPORTANT***** In one of the photos you will see that one of the data entry sliders is missing. I broke this myself a couple of years ago, and saved the knob. I put it in a safe place. Apparently much too safe, as now, when i want to repair it, it has gone completely missing. I think the studio cats have eaten it. The slider post is still intact, so it still works perfectly.

Comes with the original manual and power supply. Will I regret selling this one?...Yup...probably.

here is the description of it from vintagesynth.com

This is an awesome drum synth module that has 256 waveforms, 4 of which can be combined to create a drum sound. It also has great resonant lowpass filters and envelopes for shaping the sounds and is excellent for techno, electro and industrial drums. For effects, a delay type effect is possible as well as a ring-modulator. It also has stereo outputs plus 6 individual outs for the studio pros. Mouse On Mars might use it.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Puta

nice synthetica!

how do you like the Microkontrol?
can you compare the pads to mpc pads?
also how's the key responsiveness?
thanx
I like the MicroKontrol although it is finding more use in my portable rig with a laptop. Never tried the MPC pads so I can't compare these, they are a little stiffer than I thought they would be. The keys take some getting used to, since they are mini-keys but they seem to respond ok for what I use them for.

• Members
Originally posted by Texas Noise Factory

Some day we're gonna have to meet up and join forces for an all out synthfest.

smile.gif
Sounds like fun, although Iv'e been battling some health issues lately and seem to find less and less time and energy for this sort of thing lately. Maybe later this summer when I'm all healed up smile.gif

• Members
Originally posted by synthetica

Sounds like fun, although Iv'e been battling some health issues lately and seem to find less and less time and energy for this sort of thing lately. Maybe later this summer when I'm all healed up smile.gif
no problem man! I just think it's cool that someone else that I don't even know in town has a buncha stuff! Hope you get better, and sorry to hear about your health troubles. frown.gif

• Members

hey myteegti
your controller's kind of low
why dont you put the synths on the desk and the video monitors and PC on the rack? you could still leave a keyboard and mouse on the desk too, or better yet get a wireless with a trackball.

• Members
Originally posted by Texas Noise Factory

no problem man! I just think it's cool that someone else that I don't even know in town has a buncha stuff! Hope you get better, and sorry to hear about your health troubles. frown.gif

I wonder if there's someone in Savannah with a Antibellum plantation house full of analog?

Midnight in the garden of good and evil indeed
call me...?

• Members

i have no camera for photos,but here what i have at home

power mac G5 2GHz,23-inch HD display
softsynth's:native absynth,fm-7,spectrasonics stylus,atmosphere,

roland v-synth,roland RD-700 with 2 expansionboards srx-06,srx-07,
korg tr-rack,edirol pcr-80
Digi-rack 002
kurzweill ksp-8
yamaha msp5

• Members

my rather more econoical setup,
hasn't changed in over 2 years.

listing:
1. fatar sl 161 keyboard controller
2. peavey pc1600 slider controller
3. small behringer mixer
4. yamaha mu100r
5. roland jv1010
6. zoom rt 123

• Members

have you ever thought about yanking the harmony out of the MU-100r and dropping the AN-PLG100 in?
even shipping to israel wouldnt be all that much on a little card and they arent that expensive.
That way you would have a 5 poly Virtual Analog synthesizer added to the MU- to me that would be more useful than the harmony fx.

I mention this mainly in case you didnt know that you could change the internal cards... its true, you can. If you wanted you could have both the DX and the AN card for FM and analog sounds, or you could get the piano card if you needed a better piano, and hey, it doubles the polyphony of the whole box!
but those added 64 voices are just for piano.

i think the AN card is the best, but check them all out... hell the DX card adds about a thousand presets! eek.gif

• Members

here's my work.
The president is coming in June eek.gif

Ballroom
chathamballroom_pics.jpg
Telecommunications

Eleven telephone outlets (various locations) with category 3 cable.
Eleven data outlets with category 5 cable.
Eight 2-strand fiber optic connections in various locations

Audio/Visual

Distributed television with closed circuit or cable (8 locations).
Microphone jacks (8 locations).
Line level in/line level out (8 locations).
Intercom connections (12 locations).
In-room control panel (1 location for each division. Remote control location for audio or protection).
Sound system - designed for voice reinforcement and music.
Recording capability at central recording.
Paging - same as Exhibit Hall.
Snake connector (4 locations) - audio/visual cable connection from control locations to stage locations.
Floor pocket (1 location) - box with conduit home run to loading dock for hook-up to TV trucks.
An audio/visual mezzanine is provided for use for either the center division or when the entire room is in use.

Auditorium
oglethorpe_pics.jpg
Audio/Visual

Audio line level in.
Audio line level out.
Video line level in.
"S" video in.
RGB connection (computer input for video projector).
Teleconferencing capability (one way or two way) available with fiber optic connection provided.
Audio output connection (for camera audio or for audio recording at the rear of the room).
Rear screen projection system - 10' high by 13'4" wide.
Audio simultaneous interpretation system - 2 interpreter booths in the mezzanine.
Six microphone jacks (hard wired) as well as wireless microphone system.
Remote control capability for audio/visual system.
Sound system high fidelity for music and voice reinforcement.
Distributed television connection.
Built in front projection screen.
Audio/visual mezzanine.

Exibition Hall
exhibithall_pics.jpg
Audio/Visual

Distributed television (closed circuit or cable) outlets
Interior columns - 8 locations
Perimeter walls at each column line - 27 locations.
Microphone jacks
Line level in (for playback, i.e., cassette deck) and line level out (for recording or assistive listening.
Speakers/sound system
Designated for music and video reinforcement.
Recording capability
Central recording capability provided in a separate room adjacent to the Exhibit Hall.
Paging
Individually zoned in each division or the entire Exhibit Hall. Paging through all Public areas and possible at main stations located in the Security Office.

There are more rooms, but you get the idea.
There's a nifty central AV room with 5 racks.
There's boxes all over the convention center that have 2XLR mic inputs 1 XLR line input rca line outs cat5 terminals and some kind of fiber link... the lights are cool too.

We have a 32-8 Mackie (their big analog beast) and two 1604's
we use JBL monitors in addition to house sound.
I even recorded on analog today for a high level government official

here.. isnt it pretty? biggrin.gif
35l.jpg
22l.jpg
newsletter_body.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by blue halo
My Desk/Workstation

desk.jpg

To the left, my keys

keys.jpg

And of course, my guitars

guitars.jpg
Nice little set up ya got there blue! Your guitars especially rock!!! It seems we all have action figures/models/statuettes figured prominently in our studios. Interesting....

• Members
Originally posted by D'Traveler

Nice little set up ya got there blue! Your guitars especially rock!!! It seems we all have action figures/models/statuettes figured prominently in our studios. Interesting....
Thanks man!!! It does me well. It was a great find to get an Artcore guitar as well as the bass. My guitarist is officially not allowed to call me anymore! Every time he does it ends up costing me more money!!! Yeah, I have tons of strange little figures and statuettes here. It helps with the mood, as I do mostly gothy-type rock stuff.

• Members
Originally posted by D'Traveler

It seems we all have action figures/models/statuettes figured prominently in our studios. Interesting....

can you see them in this pic?
kids_toys.jpg

had painted and all embedded incantations and spells done by me personally...

• Members

thanks for the heads up Analog Kid, I was actually well aware of the mu100rs expansion possibilities (although several sales people have tried to deny it...). untill recently I was a student and had almost not money (all of my gear except the mu100r was bought used, and those plug boards ipossible to find used!, well at least around here), now I have a job so I will be considering it again.

thanks for the reminder I'll check the prices for the boards again

• 1 month later...

Archived