Hank Schermann's Mercyful Fate tone? amps?

petejt

• Members

Hi, does anyone know what guitars, amps, settings & effects Hank Schermann used in the early Mercyful Fate albums?

In particular, in the song Desecration of Souls?? :confused:

I already have a hunch that he used old vintage Marshall amp that were possibly modified, and also boosted with an overdrive pedal. His tone is quite bright, lots of trebles and mids. In fact the midrange seems quite spiky, it's a very SQUAWKY tone, right in that 850Hz zone.

I think too that he uses a chorus effect in the signal path, which was common in a lot of Mercyful Fate songs as well as King Diamond's solo stuff even when he wasn't in the band, but used somewhat more subtley (eg. Michael Denner on Halloween, Andy LaRocque on A Mansion in Darkness & Black Horsemen).

Does anyone know WHERE Hank used his chorus pedal? In front of his amp? Or in the effects loop? And what pedal was it?

• Members

..then he burrrrnnnned his beloved wife, and the embryo he gave a name, Abigail you must rest in shame......REST IN SHAME!!!!
:evil:

It always makes me giggle a little bit when he says embryo (pronounced emb-rye-o) rye like the bread.

• Members

Kage is right
:)
http://www.hankshermann.com/pages/gear.html

{censored} that's awesome!! :cool: :cool:

thanks for providing the website link! :thu:

I like how he has everything labelled. :love:

mf.gear93.big.jpg

But there's no chorus pedal!? There is a flanger which can be used for chorus-like effects, in a way. But yet he might not have used a chorus at all in 1993, as that pic is for his 1993 rig, not 1983-1984 rig (although he used the same guitar), where possibly did use a chorus pedal (I'm sure he did :idea: ).

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

Reanimating this thread

I talked to Michael Denner two days ago and he told me he and Hank used a parametric EQ in front of modded Marshall plexi amps. He said they would boost the mids on the EQ like a frown curve. They also did the cocked wah thing. Also a big part of Denner's sound was the Boss SP-1 Spectrum.

The amps were modded with master vol knobs on the back of the amps.

Archived