Do You Use Your Software Recording Program As A Composition Tool?

NervePoet

• Members

I do. My "extended" writing has improved immensely because of it. Before I had it, I came up with a lot of ideas that I really wasn't able to elaborate on or complete. One of the most difficult things about writing in the past was to convey the gist of my ideas to other musicians. Now I can simulate them in Cubase, and give musicians a framework to work from.

• Members

I have my ideas in my head, there is one that is currently haunting me, that I don't know what to do with it.. I don't know where to go with the harmony. Usually ideas stay in my head until they fade away..

• Members

Originally posted by NervePoet

I do. My "extended" writing has improved immensely because of it. Before I had it, I came up with a lot of ideas that I really wasn't able to elaborate on or complete. One of the most difficult things about writing in the past was to convey the gist of my ideas to other musicians. Now I can simulate them in Cubase, and give musicians a framework to work from.

I think this one is an example of my using recording software as a compositional tool.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/2280/2280316.html

I had a drum beat lying around, then messed around with a few delay patches on the "pinging" samples, and then set it all up in a single loop. The guitar figure was borrowed from another song and set over the loop. The lyrics were pretty much made up as I went along. I copied the line "Do you know what I mean?" and placed in spots that were kind of empty sonically. The whole track took less than 30 minutes to assemble once I had the delayed pings manipulated.

• Members

my comp is 8 yrs old and is the size of a fender twin! you'd think that a comp that big would be able to support some cool software! :rolleyes:

i have an old "bandinabox" program that i futz with sometimes, but when its time to write i usually go camping with a old Guild flattop and a big spiralbound notebook and some pencils (WITH ERASERS!) and disturb the wildlife untill im outta whiskey and food (or the park ranger throws me in the clink)

• Members

Originally posted by boogie

yes of course.

Tammo

Don't take this the wrong way, but what's with the "of course" part ? It seems to imply that there is no other way. Or maybe your just saying that since you have it, you use it ?

• Members

Originally posted by Kingnome

Don't take this the wrong way, but what's with the "of course" part ? It seems to imply that there is no other way. Or maybe your just saying that since you have it, you use it ?

I think it's more along the lines of "if you have a tool to use, why not use it."

• Members

Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob

It's been proven time and again that a studio itself can be just as important as a guitar for songwriting, so not ever using it to your advantage seems rather odd.

I ALWAYS write with the tape rolling. I don't think I COULD write without my studio, but I don't have a "software recording program". Maybe I just completely misunderstood this one.

• Members

I ALWAYS write with the tape rolling. I don't think I COULD write without my studio, but I don't have a "software recording program". Maybe I just completely misunderstood this one.

I meant "studio as instrument" in the sense of using tape/digital manipulation to get new and interesting sounds.

For instance, using backward tape effects and big reverbs to create an ambient bed track as a launching pad for ideas.

• Members

Yep, since I have it, I use it. I used to write only with an acoustic guitar before I started up on all that recording stuff, and I wrote some decent songs back then too... but technology has so much more possiblities... for me.

Tammo

• Members

Originally posted by NervePoet

I use Soundforge and Fruity Loops on my computer and an Akai Headrush if I don't feel like hooking all that stuff up.

It helps me a great deal to step back and listen to a song, or parts of songs, without playing it. It gives me a better perspective on what does or doesn't sound good or needs changed.

• Members

To quote Rev. Lovejoy, "Short answer: No, with a 'but'. Long answer: Yes, with a 'maybe'."

I use a band-in-a-box type program called Jammer, which came bundled with Cakewalk 5.0. Every song I've written for the last four years or so has been plugged into this program at least in partial form.

I find it useful to help me see if the song is going to hang together as a whole before I present it to the rest of the band. It hasn't had much influence on my lyrics or melodies, but it has really helped me develop new ideas for bridges, transitions, solo sections, etc.

I don't get too involved with the process, because I want a basic framework for the rest of the band to hang their ideas on. If you put down an involved arrangement, it tends to close off new avenues and ideas that you might not have come up with, but are pretty cool.

Bottom line--it's a means to an end, and used correctly, a damned effective one.

• Members

Yes! I experiment with instruments, arrangements, melodies,

harmonies etc...

I've found the computer & SW tools to be a great help in

developing the song beyond the folk domain (acoustic

guitar & vocal).

I usually write the basic song by playing acoustic guitar

& singing the melody line. Then I'll use the PC to find

drum & bass grooves and add & layer other instruments.

It's also great to work out vocal harmonies.

• Members

I use ACID, Reason and Cubase. I record guitar and bass over drum loops and maybe I'll try doubling or halving the length of a part or recording alternate parts and trying out different combinations, changing tunings, trying different drum patterns, tempos and so on - they're essential for exploring different arrangements with the minimum possible effort.

Guest Anonymous

Once I have a melody, or harmony envisioned, I use Acid Pro to set the form of the song. I do this by dropping in the drum parts (loops) and arranging them until I'm happy with it.

After this, I record all the guitar parts (still in Acid), call up my percussionist to overdub, remove the loops, and the song is away.

• Members

Originally posted by metallymetalguy

I'm looking into a stand-a-lone box for this sort of thing. I'm pretty sure I will go with a Boss, any comments?

BryanMichael: Welcome! Since nobody else has said it.

How much money are you looking to spend on your stand alone unit?

• Members

Originally posted by metallymetalguy

Rob: I'd like to keep it under a grand. Best if about $800 or less .

Musician's friend has a few nice units at around the $800-$1000 range.

The Boss BR-1180 looks really nice. 8 tracks simultaneous record and playback, dedicated rhythm track, built in COSM amp models and effects, 20 gig hard drive - $745.99

Same unit but with a built in CD-RW drive - $995.99

I'd probably go with a unit that had a CD burner, just for the sake of being able to go from recording to master CD in a single go.

Archived