Ampmodders come in: making Roland JC-55's chorus louder?

Speeddemon

• Members

I got a mint Roland JC-55 amp for home practice;

roland-jazz-chorus-jc55.jpg

,which sounds great, but once the Chorus is engaged, the volume drops a bit. Is there a simple mod (like replacing a resistor) to make the Chorus work at unity gain again?

Also, less important; which resistor handles the LED brightness? I think it could be a bit brighter.

• Members

I got a mint Roland JC-55 amp for home practice;

roland-jazz-chorus-jc55.jpg

,which sounds great, but once the Chorus is engaged, the volume drops a bit. Is there a simple mod (like replacing a resistor) to make the Chorus work at unity gain again?

Also, less important; which resistor handles the LED brightness? I think it could be a bit brighter.

To try and raise the volume, you could put an eq pedal in the loop and raise just the level and maybe a bit of highs to help get the sound you're looking for, pushing it on just when going to chorus mode, though I'm not sure if there's enough headroom with that amp to actually make it any louder that way or not. Try taking it to a store and trying one of their eq pedals if you don't have one of your own, though being able to crank it for a few seconds may not be doable in the store if you want to be able to come back and try out more stuff later on. :D

• Members

Well, this small amp doesn't have a loop.

I do have a Boss GE-7 and MXR 6 Band EQ on my board, but I want to switch chorus on/off seperate from it and have it at unity gain.

The GE-7 (MIJ with silent mod) is my solo-boost EQ (in a TB loop with a Line 6 Echo Park) and the MXR is an overall tone-shaper.

• Members

Well, this small amp doesn't have a loop.

I do have a Boss GE-7 and MXR 6 Band EQ on my board, but I want to switch chorus on/off seperate from it and have it at unity gain.

The GE-7 (MIJ with silent mod) is my solo-boost EQ (in a TB loop with a Line 6 Echo Park) and the MXR is an overall tone-shaper.

Sounds like a cool setup, but that's a drag it doesn't have a loop. My old JC120 had one, but its loop never worked. :D

Bump. ^

• Members

Yeah, I hear ya. But eventhough my pedalboard at home has a patchbay on one side, with seperate jacks for 'Instrument', 'FX Send' and FX Return', I find myself always patching the Instrument and the FX-send through with a small George L cable, so that all the effects are used in-line and the amp is connected to the board's FX-Return output.

My previous practice amps (Roland GC-405 and a Fender FM210 R) both had fx-loops, but I found it too much of a hassle to use it, since I didn't use the amp's distortions anyway. I use a H&K Tubefactor as my 'pedal distortion' with a heavily modified DOD 250 as a boost in front of it, and I have yet to encounter a small practice amp with a better 'true sounding' tube distortion tone. :cool:

Archived