Valvetech Amp Appreciation Thread

JBecker

• Members

Ooo... someone with a JCM800... do you have the EL34 version of the VAC or 6v6 version?

The VAC is definitely a bit saggier with the higher gain stuff, but stays really tight and well defined with anything through most 90s alternative kind of levels, at least the way i have it dialed (which is with the bass at almost 0).

Needless to say, the tube rectifier has a lot to do with the sag of these VACs. Definitely some spongy overdrive.

Definitely. Almost JTM45 like.

• Members

Ooo... someone with a JCM800... do you have the EL34 version of the VAC or 6v6 version?

The VAC is definitely a bit saggier with the higher gain stuff, but stays really tight and well defined with anything through most 90s alternative kind of levels, at least the way i have it dialed (which is with the bass at almost 0).

Definitely. Almost JTM45 like.

I have the 6v6 version. I think it sounds a lot smoother than the JCM800 and it sounds awesome for the low tuned slow heavy stuff

• Members

How do you guys think the VAC performs at lower volumes? I hear it has a great Master Volume.

After spending a lot of time with the Weber Mass I've decided I prefer the master on my VAC, although nothing is like the tone once you turn this guy up.

• Members

The 22 watt (6v6) is more like a JTM45 with less wattage

The 50 watt (el34) is like a 50 watt british head with a smoother voicing

I think...

Am I getting this right?

The 22w version doesn't have that huge, blooming low end of the JTM45. Much tighter, more cut. Also achieves more gain even without any boosts or anything special-- just jumper the inputs and rock out loud.

I haven't played the 50w, but I've heard it described as more round, smoother, and chunkier with less cut/bite as compared to the 22, but not too much about it compared to other amps.

Even the btutalzz crowd might like them. I've heard Chris get pretty heavy with his Valvetechs.

That may be true. I've never played the 50w version, and in combo from with a Greenback at least, I don't think this amp has the low end to do too much of what people on here are into.

Archived