OT: People involved in science/business etc

JBecker

• Members

It sounds good to me. If you go to Brown and do well, you'll be set.

Good luck!

Yeah I'm at Brown right now, about to be a junior getting a chem degree. I'm not sure if I want to do the Ph.D. and research thing-- I go back and forth on this all the time.

• Members

Yeah I haven't decided what the heck I want to do, just seems interesting.

Yeah I'm at Brown right now, about to be a junior getting a chem degree. I'm not sure if I want to do the Ph.D. and research thing-- I go back and forth on this all the time.

If you have the grades, go to grad school - it is essentially free and if you hate it, you can drop out in 2 years with a masters degree. BS chemists are technicians these days and start at ~$40-45 k. Ph.D. chemists start at $75-80 k.

Much more familiar with chemistry degrees than engineering, but in terms of top chemical engineering schools, Brown isn't one that I have heard mentioned.

• Members

If you have the grades, go to grad school - it is essentially free and if you hate it, you can drop out in 2 years with a masters degree. BS chemists are technicians these days and start at ~$40-45 k. Ph.D. chemists start at $75-80 k.

Much more familiar with chemistry degrees than engineering, but in terms of top chemical engineering schools, Brown isn't one that I have heard mentioned.

Yeah I'm not a chem E nor am I interested in chem E, and I may do the PhD thing we'll see. Apparently coming from Brown wanting ot do chemistry as long as I'm not too picky about where I want to go being a native English speaker will get me pretty far in terms of applying to grad school. If I stop before the PhD I will not be working in chemistry or research, that's for sure. I'd probably teach or do something like this masters program to prepare me to go and do something which requires science knowledge but isn't science directly.

While I'm not an engineer, I can tell you we have the third oldest engineering program in the country, behind RPI and Union, though Cornell is typically known as the powerhouse engin school in the Ivies. We have a very small graduate school hear at Brown which is why it's not as well known.

• Members

I loathe the language they use in the program description...Immediately makes me think they are trying to sound like something they aren`t. That being said, there are a number of programs like this and I would not suggest going to a grad program where you do your undergrad. Also don`t know about their funding situation ( I enjoy getting paid to go to school and that can be an issue in engineering programs).
From what I gather from that program it limits instead of expands your capabilities. If you go get a PhD in chemistry you will be able to get 95% of the jobs you could with the PRIME program, but that will not run in both directions. Seems to me like a half assed degree in all honesty...If you want to do science, do science. If you want to do buisness, get an MBA. But stradiling the line in both doesn`t seem like the best option in terms of an educational pursuit (IMO only). It just seems like a degree that will close more doors than it will open :idk:

• Members
I loathe the language they use in the program description...Immediately makes me think they are trying to sound like something they aren`t. That being said, there are a number of programs like this and I would not suggest going to a grad program where you do your undergrad. Also don`t know about their funding situation ( I enjoy getting paid to go to school and that can be an issue in engineering programs).

From what I gather from that program it limits instead of expands your capabilities. If you go get a PhD in chemistry you will be able to get 95% of the jobs you could with the PRIME program, but that will not run in both directions. Seems to me like a half assed degree in all honesty...If you want to do science, do science. If you want to do buisness, get an MBA. But stradiling the line in both doesn`t seem like the best option in terms of an educational pursuit (IMO only). It just seems like a degree that will close more doors than it will open
:idk:

Exactly the kind of guy that I wanted to hear from and these are definitely all some concerns I considered.

I definitely don't want to stay where I am for grad and understand all of the issues with that, but figured completely changing departments may have not the same issues. I have to figure out what the heck to do with myself sometime soonish...

• Members

Exactly the kind of guy that I wanted to hear from and these are definitely all some concerns I considered.

I definitely don't want to stay where I am for grad and understand all of the issues with that, but figured completely changing departments may have not the same issues. I have to figure out what the heck to do with myself sometime soonish...

Yeah, different departments, but same campus. Plus, if you have to teach you will only come to hate your fellow alums (at least, thats the way I look at most Cornell undergrads...definately enjoyed teaching senior level inorganic though, that was a blast and I liked those students and the fact I could buy most of them a beer without getting arrested).

My best piece of advice I can give you is to not put yourself into a situation where you limit your options/feel like you are stuck. If you aren`t feeling the whole science thing, no problem! Look into law school (patent law, its essentially what I have decided on after grad school) or into an MBA program, you shouldn`t have any problems there. Even if you do pursue an advanced degree in chemistry you can always change your mind and leave with a master's. I know of a guy that left with a master's and 1/2 of an MBA

so it really only took him another semester of classes to finish up. Just keep your options open!

• Members

Yeah, different departments, but same campus. Plus, if you have to teach you will only come to hate your fellow alums (at least, thats the way I look at most Cornell undergrads...definately enjoyed teaching senior level inorganic though, that was a blast and I liked those students and the fact I could buy most of them a beer without getting arrested).

My best piece of advice I can give you is to not put yourself into a situation where you limit your options/feel like you are stuck. If you aren`t feeling the whole science thing, no problem! Look into law school (patent law, its essentially what I have decided on after grad school) or into an MBA program, you shouldn`t have any problems there. Even if you do pursue an advanced degree in chemistry you can always change your mind and leave with a master's. I know of a guy that left with a master's and 1/2 of an MBA

so it really only took him another semester of classes to finish up. Just keep your options open!

Yeah, since it's pretty easy to leave with the MA or MS from a PhD program I think that it's probably the way to go, certainly from the start. Just not sure yet. We'll see in the next couple of years how it goes...

• Members

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Anyone want to give me my dream job?

I told you a while ago Little Bro, Go for an MBA and an MS in the Area of your Choice and start hitting BioPharmas out the ass with your resume and cash the {censored} in...

I may just do that my damn self with all of the degrees that I have coupled with the Wall St experience..

Seek the Sheqels young man...

• Members

I told you a while ago Little Bro, Go for an MBA and an MS in the Area of your Choice and start hitting BioPharmas out the ass with your resume and cash the {censored} in...

I may just do that my damn self with all of the degrees that I have coupled with the Wall St experience..

That may be the way to go.

• Members

Kage definately has a point here...To be honest, if I was more oriented towards biology I would probabyly do that myself. But, since I am more towards the materials end, patent law is the way to go for me. I am really hoping that I can catch on with a law firm that will support me through law school...I have a couple of friends who have done that and it really sounds like the best way to go.

• Members

Kage definately has a point here...To be honest, if I was more oriented towards biology I would probabyly do that myself. But, since I am more towards the materials end, patent law is the way to go for me. I am really hoping that I can catch on with a law firm that will support me through law school...I have a couple of friends who have done that and it really sounds like the best way to go.

True, and there is certainly some serious money to be had there. I really enjoy a lot of the chemistry I've been learning, just don't know hat I want to do with it. I'm not looking to make the huge bucks, but I do want to do something I'd feel good about, can be as successful as you can be in that field, but still have time for a family. I'd like to be able to stay in the Tri-state area, etc etc.

I haven't figured it out at all yet, and with two years down and two years to go, it does seem to be looming over me...

• Members

Absolutely Jesse, thats solid thinking!!:thu:

Hope your well Bro!!

Kage

• Members
If you have the grades, go to grad school - it is essentially free and if you hate it, you can drop out in 2 years with a masters degree.

+1. Not even essentially free, actually paid, and tax-free at that (at least here it is).

however, in my case it was a lot more work to get the masters (it wasn't just a gimme, not by any means, i still had to write a (to be fair, shorter) thesis and finish up my lab work; of course again it may be different in the states), and also if you aren't sure if you want to do it or not, that'd set the warning bells ringing, to be honest. I was in a similar situation to you, didn't know what to do after finishing my degree, went with the phd, and ended up switching over from Ph.D. to M. Phil, wasting several years in the process.

not trying to talk you out of it or anything, but it's worth being realistic, i guess. you don't really coast through a phd, basically. I tried to, and it doesn't work. And I'd been able to coast up until the phd.

:thu:

• Members
Absolutely Jesse, thats solid thinking!!
:thu:

Hope your well Bro!!

Kage

Hey Kage! All is very well here, thanks for asking. I didn`t end up making it down to the city afterall as I had to watch after our new puppy. I am sure I will catch up with you before the year is out! I know right now that we will be staying in Times Square around Christmas time (for $40 a night too, the perks of the wife being an AGM at Hilton!) , but I hope to make it down before then. Take care!

• Members

just make sure what you're wanting to get into, isn't going to be something that will get farmed out to China or India, etc.

i've had relatives that both the wife and hubby were doing research for a Drug company, they got about 6 or 7 years in, and then wam bam they both get fired. took a year or 2 and wifey got a another job, but hubby's now a Mr. Mom, and can't get a decent job.

the world market is moving so fast, hard to know what you could get a career out of. guess i think of stuff like defense, aerospace, maybe?

if I was into the sciences, i'd probably be looking at agriculture maybe. the Seed companies are pretty much all owned by big Chemical/drug companies. the agronomy parts have facilities in some pretty cool places like Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia, etc. suppose they work in the same places testing crop chemicals as well?

• Members

just make sure what you're wanting to get into, isn't going to be something that will get farmed out to China or India, etc.

i've had relatives that both the wife and hubby were doing research for a Drug company, they got about 6 or 7 years in, and then wam bam they both get fired. took a year or 2 and wifey got a another job, but hubby's now a Mr. Mom, and can't get a decent job.

the world market is moving so fast, hard to know what you could get a career out of. guess i think of stuff like defense, aerospace, maybe?

if I was into the sciences, i'd probably be looking at agriculture maybe. the Seed companies are pretty much all owned by big Chemical/drug companies. the agronomy parts have facilities in some pretty cool places like Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia, etc. suppose they work in the same places testing crop chemicals as well?

Agriculture is definitely a great area to go into. The field is rapidly evolving with human health and agriculture sort of being lumped together under the blanket term "Life Sciences" Human health is relying more and more on comparative medicine that involves animal models to study human diseases and pharmaceutical compounds can now be produced in agricultural crops. As the science evolves, so does the business that brings the science to market.

Archived