Listening to Van Halen I on Vinyl...

JBecker

• Members

It's amazing how obvious todays music compression is when listening to this album in particular. The rhythm guitar sits back so far compared to Eddie whenever he comes in with a lead part-- you just don't hear it like this on CD.

New record player, new Grado Blue cartridge, mmm.

• Members

It's amazing how obvious todays music compression is when listening to this album in particular. The rhythm guitar sits back so far compared to Eddie whenever he comes in with a lead part-- you just don't hear it like this on CD.

New record player, new Grado Blue cartridge, mmm.

Vinyl circle things only make good one time use Frisbees.

• Members

What turntable are you using?

VH1 has fantastic recording quality.

Technics SLD2, and this is one of the best albums in terms of quality I've ever listened to. Fantastically well recorded/mixed/mastered, and it really shines on vinyl (picked up the record for 2 bucks in great shape).

• Members

umm...what track(on the 1st album) has rhythm guitar w/ lead guitar over it?

as i remember ted templeman said of that record "very little overdub"-mostly live w/ bass in the left channel and eddie in the right channel.

going on memory here so...might be wrong about that.

s

• Members

umm...what track(on the 1st album) has rhythm guitar w/ lead guitar over it?

as i remember ted templeman said of that record "very little overdub"-mostly live w/ bass in the left channel and eddie in the right channel.

going on memory here so...might be wrong about that.

s

Jamie's Cryin'

Ice Cream Man

• Members

I'm 20. It's a bit of everything-- if the music was recorded analog and then placed on vinyl, you never have the issue of Digital to Analog conversion. The nature of a vinyl record means that you cannot compress it beyond a certain point, so the difference between the volume peaks is far greater giving more dynamic range. Jimi Hendrix albums do this a lot-- you actually hear the guitar get louder and begin to distort the record with the wah on some solos and just htat bit of record fuzz/clipping is integral to the sound and what it's supposed to be, besides the fact that everythign sounds more full and is balanced better do to the greater sonic room in between everything.

• Members
Got that right Bro...there is NO comparison to old vinyl in good shape and a good table...I'm in the process of pulling my old plastic out of storage and getting set up. I'd love to get that new Mac tube amp and pre...Yummy warm sounds...
:thu:

Or better yet...a vintage Macintosh amp system..:eek:

• Members

I am proud to annouce that I purchased this LP within the first 6 months of it's release (1978 I think). It blew me aqway. At the time I was listening to Kiss, Zepplin, Floyd, and various disco and even Parliment Funkedelic. Van Halen was just so fresh and so different.

• Members

I prefer the greater frequency response of new music formats. Using lots of compression is more of a trend than a limitation of modern recording equipment, and what you call warmth, I call lo-fi mix with slight mid range clipping.

There is a physical limitation on the amount of compression available on vinyl, and the more compressed the music the less music can fit on the disc, so no, it's a physical thing as well. The trend has been there for a long time, even on vinyl, but there were built in limits.

Anything recorded digitally or digital at any point, I mostly prefer on CD. Anything recorded to tape, should stay analog. No matter what you do, something is lost in the digital to analog conversion and back, IMO.

• Members

There is a physical limitation on the amount of compression available on vinyl, and the more compressed the music the less music can fit on the disc, so no, it's a physical thing as well. The trend has been there for a long time, even on vinyl, but there were built in limits.

Anything recorded digitally or digital at any point, I mostly prefer on CD. Anything recorded to tape, should stay analog. No matter what you do, something is lost in the digital to analog conversion and back, IMO.

I see what your saying, but I think most of the problems with newer digital remasterings stem from an over use of modern mastering techniques combined with the fact that those vintage analog tapes have decayed with time and caused a loss of information.

• Members

I see what your saying, but I think most of the problems with newer digital remasterings stem from an over use of modern mastering techniques combined with the fact that those vintage analog tapes have decayed with time and caused a loss of information.

Oh that's definitely true, though I think way more on the former than the latter. But the truth is, older stuff sounds better without the use of analog-digital conversion and without the modernization in the remastering.

I'd rather pick up The Who Live at Leads for 4 dollars on vinyl... or VH1 for 2 dollars...both of those were in perfect condition too...

• Members

ON vh-1 the Rhythm guitar track during solos was overdubbed.

DRums are mixed much louder these days, and that exacerbates the problem of over compression in mastering.

Vinyl can sound VERY good, but not as uncoloured and true to the master as CD can.

A to D conversion is not the problem. Over compression and over use of post processing is the problem with most modern CD releases, including re-releases.

• Members

The worst is the utter compression and loss of fidelity on the crap they call "downloads" - things like iTunes. Utter joke. A whole generation thinks high fidelity means listening to compressed digital files through 1/4" speakers in the ears..... What a total shame; and what utter idiocy.

Archived