Seems quite serene but the country life ain't too much fun

Life on the run for my hide, gotta hide away

Hidin' my be-hind, 'til my dyin' day

Won't let Two Legs have his fun today

Chasing the sun, life on the run

Branded a ravenous vermin, I have no recourse

But to flee, sorry me, from an ass on the back of a horse

Blue Button Field and a darkening on the horizon

Which path will take me, the road or the hound or the gun?

Life on the run for my hide, gotta hide away

Hidin' my be-hind, 'til my dyin' day

Won't let Two Legs have his fun today

'Til I'm outdone, life on the run

• Members

Foxes aren't too popular here at the moment - did you read about the baby that got bitten by one in his home? Experts reckon it must have been a brain damaged or concussed fox to do such a crazy thing. Shame. I reckon the whole episode will set animal rights back 10 years.

Good lyrics, tho' :)

• Members

Thanks guys for your nice comments. I wrote and demoed this song years ago, complete with uptempo country-rock riffage and a solo in a Page stylee. However, I have yet to find a real singer to do it justice.

Good post, Zeopold. The last similar attack by a fox on record occured 6 years ago. Unfortunately, you and I know that human nature being what it is, the bloodsports community will have a field day with this story. It's a shame that people who don't know any better (and that's most) will assume that this is normal behaviour for foxes, and go on to condone their demonisation. Not that I would blame the child's parents for wanting to see this particular fox dead. However, I believe in looking at the larger picture, which is that it is we as a species who have invaded the fox's territory - not the other way round.

Hey Wayrockin - I know what you mean about that line. It looks 'wrong' written down, but I had in mind that this song would be sung 'in character' in a southern US drawl a la Zakk Wylde maybe (I know - he's a yankee ;)), which I believe allows the freedom to include some colloquialism.

• Members

Wayrockin - interesting that you should mention Jethro Tull. While I'm not really a Tull fan, I dig the folk-rock of Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Zep, Mike Oldfield, and especially Skyclad. The last three are huge influences.

• Members

I liked your lyrics a lot! Just thinking the 3rd verse "branded a rav....." could probably be streamlined a little syllable-wise to get a more flowing read. But maybe that's what you intended? Lyrics whose subject matter isn't entirely obvious get me every time.....nice one!

"squeek"

• Members

Originally posted by Bossa

I also thought of Jethro Tull. But I think this needs to be severely nipped and tucked, and a little more coherent.

Severely? Can you be more specific about what parts you think need altering? There's only 2 verses and two choruses. Nip and tuck any more, and there won't be anything left. And you're welcome to your opinion of course, but I can't imagine how these lyrics could be more coherent than they are. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate?

• Members

Hey bud -

Great stuff!

Don't worry about compressing things. Folk music lends itself very well to convoluted syllable passages and stretch-rhymes.

I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

Add a couple of other bands to your list - The Incredible String Band and The Amazing Blondel.

I've been flirting with buying some Steeleye Span - I assume you would say it's worth it????

Archived