post rock crew v. What gear are you using? (fans of EITS, GYBE!, mono, Mogwai etc.)

JnBroadbent

• Members

I typically either use my strat w/ a lollar in the middle and a rio half breed in the neck into the clean side of my Cameron Marshall (KT88, very chimey). Also like to use my custom made hollowbody (similar to a Gretsch 6120) w/ P90s. I'll also use my Les Paul, but usually not my SG....I think if I put a P90 in the neck of my SG it would actually be perfect for it.

FX wise I use a L6 Verbzilla and one of my delay pedals...Looking for a Nova delay to replace my current delay arsenal though..

• Members

I typically either use my strat w/ a lollar in the middle and a rio half breed in the neck into the clean side of my Cameron Marshall (KT88, very chimey). Also like to use my custom made hollowbody (similar to a Gretsch 6120) w/ P90s. I'll also use my Les Paul, but usually not my SG....I think if I put a P90 in the neck of my SG it would actually be perfect for it.

FX wise I use a L6 Verbzilla and one of my delay pedals...Looking for a Nova delay to replace my current delay arsenal though..

Sounds like you have a nice setup.

Ahhhh I just don't know if I want a strat or LP.

:cry:

• Members

Before I was ever into Explosions, Fridge, Mogwai, etc. I was a huge, even obsessive fan of The Edge and his delayed sounds. Still am...old U2 recordings have some crazy sounds on them. So, I wanted to make those sounds and I couldn't afford a Memory Man, couldn't afford a tape echo, and definitely couldn't afford a Korg SDD3000 rack delay. So I got an Ibanex DE-7 and lucked out because I bought it for the delay mode and ended up using only the echo mode. When I was paying for it at the checkout of the store I got it from, the cashier was like..."hey man, that's a sweet delay pedal. do you listen to Explosions in The Sky?" and I didn't want to sound like a noob, so I said...yeah sure, they're awesome and he told me that one of the guys from Explosions uses/used(at the time? still?) a DE-7. Later I actually heard EITS and it all made sense. I still think the ultimate 'spacious' sound is a Strat, or maybe an ES-335 style guitar into a cranked up Vox AC30, not quite at massive distortion but just a little dirty, and with an echo.

Anyway guitarwise it's hard to beat a Strat for the chime and clarity although I have wanted an Epiphone Firebird for the longest of times. I suspect those mini humbuckers would be perfect for the job. Also have a Danelectro Cool Cat, which is a pretty sweet chorus and some different dirtboxes(OD, distortion, fuzz, and fuzzier) plus a super-customised Crybaby I'm building. I need a phaser and a compressor still, and if I get really spendy maybe i'll get a flanger, but I don't like those that much. My Traynor amp(main) has a killer tremolo and spring reverb too. I also have a kill-switch, a stutter switch and a small 3 dB boost switchable single transistor preamp in my guitar as well. You can make some pretty intense sounds if you manipulate the volume, tone, whammy bar or stutter/kill switches, or any combination thereof, while the delay and maybe another effect or two is on. I try not to combine too many pedals at once because the clarity and attack tends to go away, and it desensitises the listener/audience to the different timbres you want to use.

• Members

Before I was ever into Explosions, Fridge, Mogwai, etc. I was a huge, even obsessive fan of The Edge and his delayed sounds. Still am...old U2 recordings have some crazy sounds on them. So, I wanted to make those sounds and I couldn't afford a Memory Man, couldn't afford a tape echo, and definitely couldn't afford a Korg SDD3000 rack delay. So I got an Ibanex DE-7 and lucked out because I bought it for the delay mode and ended up using only the echo mode. When I was paying for it at the checkout of the store I got it from, the cashier was like..."hey man, that's a sweet delay pedal. do you listen to Explosions in The Sky?" and I didn't want to sound like a noob, so I said...yeah sure, they're awesome and he told me that one of the guys from Explosions uses/used(at the time? still?) a DE-7. Later I actually heard EITS and it all made sense. I still think the ultimate 'spacious' sound is a Strat, or maybe an ES-335 style guitar into a cranked up Vox AC30, not quite at massive distortion but just a little dirty, and with an echo.

Anyway guitarwise it's hard to beat a Strat for the chime and clarity although I have wanted an Epiphone Firebird for the longest of times. I suspect those mini humbuckers would be perfect for the job. Also have a Danelectro Cool Cat, which is a pretty sweet chorus and some different dirtboxes(OD, distortion, fuzz, and fuzzier) plus a super-customised Crybaby I'm building. I need a phaser and a compressor still, and if I get really spendy maybe i'll get a flanger, but I don't like those that much. My Traynor amp(main) has a killer tremolo and spring reverb too. I also have a kill-switch, a stutter switch and a small 3 dB boost switchable single transistor preamp in my guitar as well. You can make some pretty intense sounds if you manipulate the volume, tone, whammy bar or stutter/kill switches, or any combination thereof, while the delay and maybe another effect or two is on. I try not to combine too many pedals at once because the clarity and attack tends to go away, and it desensitises the listener/audience to the different timbres you want to use.

Very cool read. :thu:

So I've decided to put my strat back together so now all I'm waiting for is the electronics to get here then I'll string her up.

I also have an Ibanez AM73 which is a es-335 clone. I'll probably throw some new pickups into that sometime and go from there.

• Members

If you are putting your strat back together I may suggest getting something moderately hot for the neck position and something significantly cooler for the midddle. The combo works wonders for the inbetween (position 2?) pickup selections and gives a ton of versatility for the mid and neck on their own. Or, find a guitar w/ a P90 in the neck. I really like P90s for this kind of stuff as they bark nicely when dug into and sound great straight up clean.

Here is the hollowbody I was speaking of earlier:

jost_front.jpg

jost_side.jpg

• Members

If you are putting your strat back together I may suggest getting something moderately hot for the neck position and something significantly cooler for the midddle. The combo works wonders for the inbetween (position 2?) pickup selections and gives a ton of versatility for the mid and neck on their own. Or, find a guitar w/ a P90 in the neck. I really like P90s for this kind of stuff as they bark nicely when dug into and sound great straight up clean.

Here is the hollowbody I was speaking of earlier:

jost_front.jpg
jost_side.jpg

That is :love:

I'm starting to thinking maybe some p90's for my strat or a p90 guitar.

I really enjoy that darking, smoother tone that mono has which got me thinking to shorter scale, p90 guitars. I'm really on a budget so I don't have much room to play with. I could use heavier gauge and down tune a few steps. That'd be neat.

• Members

Also, what do you suggest for the bridge? I am starting to think a semi-hot humbucker that I can coil split for more tones to experiment with. I am going to put a analog delay modboard from guitarfetish.com in it but I also want to find some sort of stutter control as well (like an automatic, time switchable kill switch)

• Members

I want a nice post-rock setup. I'm thinking Jazzmaster/Strat>Phase, Reverb, Delay etc>Fender Twin/Showman
:love:

:love:

That's pretty much what I'm aiming for.

So I think I'm going to go with a Humbucker in the bridge that will have a coil tap and then a p90 in the neck with different on board adjustable parameters like analog delay, stutter, out of phase switches, etc. just so I can experiment.

Hopefully I don't change my mine then I can order today.

• Members

does anyone know a good set of pickups for this kind of music?

This thread has inspired me to "re-setup" my peavey predator and upgrade its pickups.

Depends what sort of style you are going for. EITS are much different then Mono. I've noticed mono have a more round, smoother, dark tone as opposed to the brighter EITS style.

Single coils and p90's will work wonders through the right amp.

• Members

Well...um... I'm using a bogner uberschall :o

lol

If I were ONLY playing stuff like this and didn't need anything for metal, I'd use a bogner shiva.... but I need me some metulz... and after hearing the new 5150 III has some very nice warm, crisp fender cleans, I think I will end up with that if the high-gain channel does it for me....

really though, there are a lot of amps that could be used... anything with good cleans... a twin or dual showman would be great, but I prefer being able to put my effects in an FX loop...

anyways... good cleans + lots of reverb + lots of delay + possibly some ebow = post-rock :p

• Members

my setup sounds pretty great for post-rock these days... I use the clean of the v-3 (weird japanese production model from the 80's) and the fulltone for dist... sounds massive. also, the dd-5 and arion analog delay are necessary to get the spacey atmosphere a lot of these bands utilize.

• Members

Also, what do you suggest for the bridge? I am starting to think a semi-hot humbucker that I can coil split for more tones to experiment with. I am going to put a analog delay modboard from guitarfetish.com in it but I also want to find some sort of stutter control as well (like an automatic, time switchable kill switch)

Bridge will depend on what you are shooting for (say mono vs. EITS). My goal w/ my strat was to make it my workhorse/do everything guitar so it has a Rio Grande BBQ bucker w/ a coil tap in the bridge. Its great for heavier stuff that I like to play

• Members

Bridge will depend on what you are shooting for (say mono vs. EITS). My goal w/ my strat was to make it my workhorse/do everything guitar so it has a Rio Grande BBQ bucker w/ a coil tap in the bridge. Its great for heavier stuff that I like to play

That is sort of the attitude I'm going for. Having an extremely versatile players guitar that can cover a lot of ground and doing it quite well.

I sent you a PM btw, check it out.

• Members

That is sort of the attitude I'm going for. Having an extremely versatile players guitar that can cover a lot of ground and doing it quite well.

I sent you a PM btw, check it out.

Thats the basic approach I am taking with my strat. Its the cheapest guitar that I own (I think I paid $300 for it) and yet I grab it more frequently than my Custom Shop Les Paul. I just love playing it for some reason:confused: Now, with its current pickup config I absolutely love it.

BTW, I didn`t get the PM:confused:

Archived