Line 6 Model Packs...

zoean

• Members

... Are they worth it??? I bought the Metal Pack, and found some good sounds out of a few of the models. Are the classiic & FX pack worth it or can I tweak some of he models to get close enough and save the $$$$. The Bogner XTC and Fender double shot intrigue me though..... Help me out. Should I pull the trigger or not. thanks in advance,,,,,,Jeff

• Members

Rectifier gets the job done for me, as well as the Roland Jazz Chorus models for cleans.

What are your settings for a live set-up? What's the best way to tweak my XT Pro for gigging. Any EQ tips, ect...... Do you use the recifier from the Metal Pack or from the original models? -Jeff

• Members

The original Rectifier (not the Dual Treadplate or Diamondplate)

I don't use the tubescreamer stomp, I adjust the gain in the compressor.

Noise gate at about 33%, scoop the mids a tiny bit, treble at 3 oclock, bass at noon. Of course adjust the PodXT Pro output mode to "power amp", channel volume at about noon or a little more, and turn the damn cabinet model off!

That gets me a great Dino Cazares thrashy chug.

• Members

I would love to buy the model packs, but IMO you can get by 100% fine with a normal Pod XT with 3.0 software.

The Orange amp boosted with a Tubescreamer, Rectifier and SLO100 models triple tracked sound thick as {censored}.

The tubescreamer stomp is so touchy.... adjusting the gain from the compressor is much less aggravating.

• Members

4 band EQ is for dialing out feedback frequencies. It is really poor for dialing in certain tones.

HOWEVER, the more you tweak your POD, the better tone you will get. Or you will be driven stark-raving mad.

I was so angry at my POD I didn't play it for about 3 months and almost sold it several times. I'm glad I hung on to it, tho.

• Members

4 band EQ is for dialing out feedback frequencies. It is really poor for dialing in certain tones.

HOWEVER, the more you tweak your POD, the better tone you will get. Or you will be driven stark-raving mad.

I was so angry at my POD I didn't play it for about 3 months and almost sold it several times. I'm glad I hung on to it, tho.

Thanks for the tips bro. Very helpful...Got any patches you can send over for me to play around with? Seems like all the ones on the line 6 site are set for recording, not live. And I'm going mad with tweaking that my ears have become tone deaf. LOL

• Members

Thanks for the tips bro. Very helpful...Got any patches you can send over for me to play around with? Seems like all the ones on the line 6 site are set for recording, not live. And I'm going mad with tweaking that my ears have become tone deaf. LOL

Exactly, I was trying to get a good tone with Pro headphones and that's what really pissed me off. Even the PODxt Pro has a {censored}ty headphone amp. I know the direct tones can sound really good, but I'm not going to bother {censored}ing with them. I don't do much editing myself (because I've found a really good live tone that I stick to religiously). When it comes to recording, I'll play it thru my Mesa 20:20 and a 4x12 and dial back the gain (or else in quad-tracking the guitars get uber-muddy)

I'll send you a heads up if I ever go on L6 editor.

• Members

Exactly, I was trying to get a good tone with Pro headphones and that's what really pissed me off. Even the PODxt Pro has a {censored}ty headphone amp. I know the direct tones can sound really good, but I'm not going to bother {censored}ing with them. I don't do much editing myself (because I've found a really good live tone that I stick to religiously). When it comes to recording, I'll play it thru my Mesa 20:20 and a 4x12 and dial back the gain (or else in quad-tracking the guitars get uber-muddy)

I'll send you a heads up if I ever go on L6 editor.

Seems like we're in the same boat with this crap.... Getting recording tones is not a problem...But when you start to jack the volume up to band levels and tweak the XT so it doesn't soud like {censored} is is the biggest hurdle. When you get around to those patches let me know....I'd really appreciate it......Jeff

• Members

Seems like we're in the same boat with this crap.... Getting recording tones is not a problem...But when you start to jack the volume up to band levels and tweak the XT so it doesn't soud like {censored} is is the biggest hurdle. When you get around to those patches let me know....I'd really appreciate it......Jeff

No, I meant the opposite: practicing and live tone is really easy to dial in, but finding that sweet spot for recording is a bitch.

Are you using XT Live, XT, or XT Pro?

• Members

No, I meant the opposite: practicing and live tone is really easy to dial in, but finding that sweet spot for recording is a bitch.

Are you using XT Live, XT, or XT Pro?

Using a PodXT Pro with a MosValve Power Amp. Just can't seem to get an awesome Live tone. I'm getting close with the 5150 Criminal model, but I tweak so much, my ears become like mud... I can get a great tone at lower volumes, but it seem like when I turn the volume up to band level the EQ gets very sterile sounding, and the EQ seems to get wacky.

• Members

The FX one is neat, if you like weird sounds and being able to play around with them a lot. The various shape modulations have some neat parameters that can produce some wild sounds. The synth stuff is really cool and unique. There are quite a few, and each one has 8 separate wave forms that sound pretty different. I kind of still wish I had my old Pod XT Live just because of those.

• Members

The FX one is neat, if you like weird sounds and being able to play around with them a lot. The various shape modulations have some neat parameters that can produce some wild sounds. The synth stuff is really cool and unique. There are quite a few, and each one has 8 separate wave forms that sound pretty different. I kind of still wish I had my old Pod XT Live just because of those.

Effects VERY tweakable, too bad I only use chorus and delay :cry:

• Members

I dont use the Classics much, but I dont play lower gain either. I like the purge model boosted.

The Metal Pack I love. I think it makes the stock models sound weak and {censored}ty. Lots of good ones in there. You want a good Fear Factory chug as above? Just use the Big Bottom model. Instant FF tone.

I like the FX also. I dont really use the weird sounding FX, but you get a lot of cool boosts also, if your just sick of the screamer model. The Vetta Juice and EQ+Boost is really cool.

• Members
The original Rectifier (not the Dual Treadplate or Diamondplate)

I don't use the tubescreamer stomp, I adjust the gain in the compressor.

Noise gate at about 33%, scoop the mids a tiny bit, treble at 3 oclock, bass at noon. Of course adjust the PodXT Pro output mode to "power amp", channel volume at about noon or a little more, and turn the damn cabinet model off!

That gets me a great Dino Cazares thrashy chug.

I dont really understand this, because the comp on the comp button is AFTER distortion, so all it is gonna do is add volume. It will never add gain like the stomp comps. I generally only ever use it on clean sounds to get the volume up to match the distortion patches.

• Members

... Are they worth it??? I bought the Metal Pack, and found some good sounds out of a few of the models. Are the classiic & FX pack worth it or can I tweak some of he models to get close enough and save the $$$$. The Bogner XTC and Fender double shot intrigue me though..... Help me out. Should I pull the trigger or not. thanks in advance,,,,,,Jeff

Don't let the flashy amp names sucker you in. They don't really sound that much like the real ones. In the same ball park, sure, but that's about it.

I bought all three packs for 90 + the bass pack for another 90.

I didn't really "need" them, but I'm very pleased with the unlimited versatility right now. Whatever I want, I know there's a model in there that'll do it. Very nice way to work.

I don't think the FX pack is very good. Too much useless overly synthy stuff. Some nice delays though.

I don't regret buying them. In fact, I've bought all available model packs for my POD XT AND for my Toneport.

• Members

I've purchased the metal pack & the bass expansion pack, & use both constantly. I've thought about the classic amp & effects packs, but I wouldn't get enough mileage out of either to be worth it. I use the Uberschall & 6505 II models for my high gain, & a couple of the installed clean/not too dirty models for my other stuff.

None of the high-gain presets sound good, none of them, but I use several of the clean settings (Badge, Like Heaven, Lux Verb Chorus) with little or no tweaking.

Archived