Engl Powerball cleans clips...???

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I know engl, and the powerball even moreso are not known for cleans, but I've heard from a few people the cleans are actually pretty nice on it... really crystal clear and sparkly sounding. I was just wondering if any of you have recorded clips of the PB playing cleans that I could check out...

the uberschall is going soon and I'm gonna be looking for a new amp... was down to the 5150 III or engl SE for me... but I don't really want to spend that much to get an SE... and the powerball seems a bit similar... just checking to see if maybe I'd like it

• Members

It does have a very nice clean, much better than the well known high gain peavey's or marshalls. I'd say on par with Framus or Brunetti. The INVADER has the best clean I have ever heard on a high gain channel switcher.

Hmm, have you played the framus cleans? I owned a framus dragon and actually liked the cleans on it a lot

• Members

lol. Josh - you and your cleans. I'd personally go with the 5150 III over the PB. Great cleans, good rock tones and channel III can definately do the brutal tones - even more so with a clean boost. I would also suggest a Diezel Einstein with the channel 1 switching mod. Killer amp. I just sold mine though because I think my Herbert pretty much covers it.

Did you sell the Uber yet?

• Members

lol. Josh - you and your cleans. I'd personally go with the 5150 III over the PB. Great cleans, good rock tones and channel III can definately do the brutal tones - even more so with a clean boost. I would also suggest a Diezel Einstein with the channel 1 switching mod. Killer amp. I just sold mine though because I think my Herbert pretty much covers it.

Did you sell the Uber yet?

:evil:

I need pretty cleans. I'm into more types of music than metal and don't want two amps. :o

Yeah, I've been wanting to try out the 5150 III... someone on here who lives closeby has one, and I'm waiting to go check it out.. if I like it, that's what I'll be getting... you think it sounded mo' betta for the heavy stuff with the ubercab? I've been pondering taking my bogner standard (all v30's) cab to a bogner dealer and trading it for the ubercab...

• Members

from what i remember, the cleans on the powerball were pretty nice. assuming they're similar to fireball cleans (from what i remember, they are, but it's a while since i've tried the powerball) i probably prefer them to the blackmore's cleans, though i prefer the blackmore for everything else other than out and out brutal modern death metal type stuff.

if you really need versatility, i'm not sure i'd be looking at a powerball. to me, it's an out-and-out br00talz amp, to only be used for non-metal occasionally- engl make more versatile amps, if that's what you're after... as do other amps companies...

EDIT: the cleans on the blackmore, and my savage se, are warmer and fatter rather that really sparkly (though you can get a bit of sparkle going if you use single coils).

Archived