Billy Gibbons is the lord of tone. Just got back from a ZZ Top show

cryptic1911

• Members

I've seen some fairly recent vids on youtube-they're still awsome. The only thing "corny" is the syncronized steps they do-I won't call it dancing. It's kind of cool though-kind of understated actually. One of my favorite bands-just skip the 80's stuff.:rolleyes: 70's is the best, Rhythmeen on is great too. And Billy can still bring it.

• Members

Saw them last Friday night in Council Bluffs. I was in the 7th row. It was seriously badass.
:thu:
They had a couple of fake Crate 'cabs and amps' stacks in a 3-2-1 like configuration.

There wasn't much cheese involved, just a couple of hours of kickass rock music. The Billy Bo guitar is a Billy-ized version of the 59 Gretsch Bo gave him. TV Jones Filtertron pickups sound pretty rockin thru whatever the hell he was using for an amp...
:cool:

Maybe he's still using one of these! http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p146/one4rich/Gear%20Pics/?action=view&current=PDRM0156.jpg

• Members

Damn, why did I have to see the show with all the canned bull{censored}, and you guys got to see them play as a straight up 3 piece?:mad:

This is the first I've heard of recent ZZ shows without the canned drum machines, honestly. I thought they'd done that {censored} ever since the eliminator era.

They definitely did when I saw them. Sounds like the same stage setup, though. 1,2,3 cabs, consecutively, on either side of the stage, which didn't really seem to be pushing any volume. I'm pretty sure their real rigs were either under the stage, or they were d.i.'ing to effects.

• Members

oh, damn.. he was actually playing through those crate amps on stage? I figured those were fakes? I just looked on crates site, and it lists him as being an endorser, but i don't see the amps he had anywhere on the site. must be custom for him then?

I think Billy Gibbons is using Crate V50 212's cream with two EL34's. According to him, they have a sound quite reminiscent to that of Marshall Bluesbreakers. Is this the one you saw him using?

476650.jpg

476649.jpg

If so, then they are phased out last time I've heard, probably the reason why they are non-existent in Crate's webpage.

• Members

I don't think he actually plays through those Crates. He's always been real dodgy about how he gets his tone and has mentioned more than once about the stage stuff being props (endorsement thing).

Early ZZ was mostly Fender Tweed.

I think you're right. Billy says the crates are for "stage monitors". I'm pretty sure he still tours with his rack of Marshall preamps and power amps.

• Members

I think Billy Gibbons is using Crate V50 212's cream with two EL34's. According to him, they have a sound quite reminiscent to that of Marshall Bluesbreakers. Is this the one you saw him using?

476650.jpg

476649.jpg

If so, then they are phased out last time I've heard, probably the reason why they are non-existent in Crate's webpage.

nah, he had 3 heads, and 6 cabs on each side of the stage. there's a pic on crate's website under artists, then click his name.. they are in the background. i'll try to post the pic here, but it might not show

FeatArtist_BGibbons.jpg

• Members

Billy still uses his rack of Marshall JMP1s and midi programable graphic eqs that he has had for years. One of my best friends is a top notch engineer (FOH for George Strait) and he did monitors for ZZ Top in San Antonio earlier this year. He spent a long time with Billy's amp tech and was even talking to him with me on the phone so I could ask some questions.

To make all of his guitars sound the same, his tech runs them through his rack system and then uses a frequency analyzer to tweak the eq until they are similiar. He then saves a midi patch on the JMP1 and eq for that guitar and when Billy goes to play it he recalls the tone. It actually ingenious and simple.

However you look at it, Billy is one of those guys who probably always sounds like him no matter what he is playing through. But the fact is, the Crates are all for show.

• Members

However you look at it, Billy is one of those guys who probably always sounds like him no matter what he is playing through.

I hear this about quite a few players.

I'm still waiting for the example of that guy who DOESN'T sound like himself no matter what they're playing through, though. Who else is one going to sound like?:confused:

I wonder why he'd want all his guitars to sound the same. Isn't the point that different guitars sound different?

And that some are furry?:D

• Members

You are rarely hearing the amps you see on stage at a ZZ show.

I saw them in NJ several years ago & they had a bunch of Orange stacks on

stage & I knew that's not what we were hearing. I went w/ a GC Mgr. who

is a Gibbons freak & he got us back stage & showed us what Billy was REALLY

playing through. He had a small rig set up under the stage w/ a Trainwreck

amp & a really beat to hell Marshall 4X12 w/ 2 mics on it.

57GT:)

• Members

Thing I always remember about his monster tone - - - he plays .008s... no really...

http://www.tonequest.com/back-issues.htm

October 2002 - 6000 words with pics - his setup is very elaborate. I saw a schematic once in GuitarWorld I think - pretty insane looking, but its not just "plug it in and play loud" ala Angus or the other Marshall gods hehe.

Here's a simple breakdown of it - this seems too little though based on what I remember seeing:

http://www.hamptonplace.com/tonedepot/settings/musbg.php

Equipment Description and Setup:

Gibson Les Paul Standard/W alnico magnet pickups,Fender Deluxe 1x12,Marshall 1968 plexi or JCM800/900. I read In a recent interview that he sets all the controls to 5 and cranks the volume .dont overdo it with the reverb though.Stompboxs; Bixonic Expandora (dip switch set at overdrive or distortion/controls settings;Gain-5 o clock,Tone-12 o clock,Level-as desired)To get some of the newer zz top tones,the rev. usually tunes down to D or lower(C,C#,B somtimes even A!!) Strings; .08 no more no less

picks;Mexican peso or you can use a stainless steel pick.

Archived