Mixing speakers- Black Shadow+Celestion 75+EV+Eminence H30?

petejt

• Members

My Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab has Celestion GT75 speakers. I run my Engl Fireball into it. At first I was having lots of trouble dialing in a good tone, but now having some success with it.

Right now though, I'm thinking of the possibility of putting putting different speakers into the cab, to get a better, and different sound.

To be honest I don't know too much about different speakers, for all I know, EV probably make the Black Shadow speaker.

I just know that my other cab, a Mesa/Boogie straight-backed Stiletto 4x12, has Celestion Vintage 30s, and sounds sweet :love: (& br00tuhl! :rawk: ) with my MarkIV.

I want the Engl's cab to compliment that tone, rather than fight with it.

Also I want the cab to be wired for 16ohms serial, so all the speakers need to be the same wattage.

The speakers I listed in the title, are just some that I've seen, although I don't know much about. I just know that the Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 2x12 combo has the Black Shadows in it.

Ideally I'd like to have four different speakers in the one cab, but having two 75's and two other different brands, would be okay.

So, please tell me of the practicality of this idea, and some speakers to mix together for a great, unique tone that will fit the Fireball.

Thanks folks.

• Members

I know i am going to get flak for this, but - sell the fireball.

Reason?

IMO speakers will not change your tone by that much and you having problems dialing it in suggests to me in the first place that that amp is just not for you. A speaker change might not help that much after all.

Of course before i go the whole way with my advice: Do you like the Fireball with your other cab?

For all the ones that are going to be offended by the above statement: ... yes yes, speakers do have an effect on tone, but i still contend that they will not turn an amp you do not really like into something else.

• Members

I own a Fireball and its the most awesome tone ever with a brace of V30's. Speakers make a bigger difference than tubes to sound. The FB is naturally voiced slightly scooped so the last thing it needs are 75's making it even more scooped. The FB works best with V30's, hands down.

• Members

Of course before i go the whole way with my advice: Do you like the Fireball with your other cab?

I haven't tried it with my Stiletto cab yet, but I have played it with the Recto "smaller" size cab, which I think has Vintage 30s also, and it sounded great to me.

I know I love the Fireball :love: , and I just bought it, so I ain't selling it. I do respect your opinion though.

It's just that I am having a bit of trouble dialling it in, and I'm sure it's a speaker issue. I can get it sounding pretty good with my current cab, but my MarkIV with the Stiletto cab just crushes it. :rawk:

I know that the Fireball is capable, I just need to find out how.

• Members

I own a Fireball and its the most awesome tone ever with a brace of V30's. Speakers make a bigger difference than tubes to sound. The FB is naturally voiced slightly scooped so the last thing it needs are 75's making it even more scooped. The FB works best with V30's, hands down.

I guess I could just do the X-patterned Vintage 30s & 75s.

I want to keep the Marshall cab.

I'm just wondering what other speakers would be useful too.

Anyone have any experience using the Fireball with non-Celestion speakers?

• Members

IM not sure I would go with 4 different speakers in one cabinet.. IM sure it could get some interesting tones, but I think with that much variety, you wont really get a focused tone out of it.. But I have never tried that, if you got the time and the dime, then go for it...

As some have said, Vintage 30's would probably work well, I am a big believer in the Eminence Legend V12's. I have the Vintage 30's and LEgend V12's mixed in my 4x12 which I run a 5150 thru, and it really sounds great.. The Legends have a lot of mids like the v30's, but its much smoother in the top end.. Keeps the cabinet really balanced IMO..

BUt since you have the g12t75's, you migh as well just get 2 Vintage 30's and try mixing them with the 75's to start, and see if this helps..

• Members

Why not just use the Mesa Cabs???? They already sound better. The head was designed with v30's in mind. Sell the Marshall cab. Most Marshall cabs suck anyways. If your going to do an x pattern try the celestion g12k100 speakers with the v30 speakers. The g12k's have huge bottom end and will fit the Fireball nicely with the V30's cutting through. They are also much louder than the gt75's. They are a much better match with the v30's.

• Members

As some have said, Vintage 30's would probably work well, I am a big believer in the Eminence Legend V12's. I have the Vintage 30's and LEgend V12's mixed in my 4x12 which I run a 5150 thru, and it really sounds great.. The Legends have a lot of mids like the v30's, but its much smoother in the top end.. Keeps the cabinet really balanced IMO..

Thanks for that info! :thu:

I think I might get two Legend V12s, I like the fact that they have a smooth top end. :cool: Also too it will be something a little different, as I already have four Vintage30s blasting away next to them. I like using different brands rather than all the same brand.

Are speakers easy to install? All I need is a screwdriver and a soldering iron? I've made electronic circuits before, so it shouldn't be too hard?

It would save me from having to lug around the 4x12 cab back and forth, and pay to have the speakers installed.

• Members

Celestion Relic 30's or WGS veteran 30's also have a nice smoothed out top end in comparison to a v30, Relics also have less of a mid hump, the veterans however IMHO are my favorite of all the v30 clones I have (relics, governors, wgs, and veterans). That's my 2 pennies.

• Members

Celestion Relic 30's or WGS veteran 30's also have a nice smoothed out top end in comparison to a v30, Relics also have less of a mid hump, the veterans however IMHO are my favorite of all the v30 clones I have (relics, governors, wgs, and veterans). That's my 2 pennies.

Your two pennies are very welcome :) .

I won't finally decide on the speakers to buy, until I find out which ones are the most affordable to obtain locally, and I get the cashola. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment (just bought a new ElectroHarmonix POG and payed off the Fireball in one hit).

So, keep the pennies comin', folks!

• Members

Hey Everyone,

I'm now starting to get some pretty cool tones out of the Marshall 1960A cab with my Engl Fireball, which is good :) .

It still sounds a little off, but I can hear that the cab would benefit from changing two of the speakers (hence what this thread is about), rather than the whole cab wrecking the tone. The goodness is there, folks!

I changed my settings to these. I also use the Bright & Deep switches on my THD Hotplate, set to -8dB.

2mnf70n.jpg

The clean tone on the Normal Gain channel, with the neck pickup, sounds pretty good. There's some very very slight breakup, but with a chorus pedal sounds quite nice. Using the bridge pickup, I get a pretty good Marshall Plexi-like bark out of it, sounds awesome for AC/DC!

On the Ultra Gain channel, and the master volume jacked up a bit- rooaaaarrr!!! :rawk:

I love the clarity of the picking on the channel when using the neck pickup, great lead solo tone!

• Members

I guess I could just do the X-patterned Vintage 30s & 75s.

I want to keep the Marshall cab.

I'm just wondering what other speakers would be useful too.

Anyone have any experience using the Fireball with non-Celestion speakers?

Yes, with Emi Swamp Thangs & Texas Heats. Sounded good. {censored}loads of bass if that's your thing.

V30's don't sound "good" with the FB, they're more like "amazing". Very articulate, clear and punchy. Very forward presantation, not a laid back tone at all (very modern and "in your face" sounding compared to the Emi's).

Edit: And yeah i use the WGS V30's too.

Archived