is anyone producing "soldano like" hot mods ?

mark7171

• Members

looking for the tube mod, that usually replaces a AX7 preamp tube on a CK11 thing, for a marshall amp. anybody know who is currently making these? there were a number of clones.

mod_button.jpg

Check out the Soldano GTO...

It's a pedal that's supposed to do the job. I purchased a Hot Mod yesterday.

Scott

• Members

really "slo clone" style hot mods ? PM me if you guys know something.

I hope you don't think that the HotMod will turn your amp into an SLO clone. All the HotMod does is add a gain stage to the existing circuit topograpy. It increases the amount of gain that the preamp can produce, but it doesn't magically transform your amp into an SLO clone, unless it already sounded exactly like an SLO, but with less gain.

Keep in mind, these also only work properly in a single channel amp, so it isn't designed to work with just ANY Marshall.

That being said, they do show up on eBay from time to time if you still want one.

• Members

Kasha Amplifiers makes the Quickmod. I hear they own the patent on it, which is why the Soldano is no longer made.

The Quickmod is a different animal than the HotMod, so I highly doubt that it had anything to do with Soldano discontinuing the HotMod.

Straight from the horses mouth (Mike Soldano), the HotMod wasn't very cost effective, ie. it cost a lot to produce and was supposed to be a relatively cheap way to temporarily "mod" your amp. Between the labor involved in putting it together and the fact that the tubes used in it are no longer made (therefore driving up the prices for them), Mikey realized that before long it would become cost prohibitive, so he pulled the plug.

The Quickmod appears to be a step up from the HotMod, which can only be used in single channel amps. From what I can gather, the QuickMod will work with any tube amp, not just the single channel varierty, and is footswitchable to boot.

Conclusion - I'd go with the Quickmod.

• Members

wow...those no mod and then hotmod clips on that site

really make me...NOT want one.

My 2204 already has a gain mod, but even without it.. a overdrive pedal seems like a much better alternative.

then again, everyone with a hotmod seems to rav about it, could just be bad examples in the clips.

• Members

{censored}...

its harder with everybody letting the cat out of the bag. neither the mender , nor the sol hot mod are avalible from mo toyz. they were the {censored}. i have had the mender for a while .its awesome. the mender is the shizzee!!!!!!!!! the hot mod is just as good, and its got a hell of a dark side.

tube gain stages are where its at. i cant get that type of projection for a pedal.

thanks , scotty K

the kasha isnt it, but i bet does a great job. it has 3 12ax7 's and thats a semi standard amp power pack. the soldano style hot mod, converted them to the red hot CK11 tubes for staggering gain.

some folks are born made to wave the flag...

fendddy43.jpg

Archived