Tell me about the Boogie Quad pre

Jopop

• Members

How's the Boogie Quad? Does it get brutal? Is the recording outs decent?

I'll be running it into the FX return of my Fireball at first, then if i like it trade the fireball for a simul-class 2:50 or something. I understand most Engl's power amps are a total rip off the Mesa Mark series power amps so it'll be a good match i guess.

I'm just not really loving the Fireball. I dunno why i don't, it just does not have enough character to me.. not an interesting amp i guess :confused:

I understand the Quad is pretty much a Mark IIC and a MarkIII stacked on top of each other without the power amp?

Any clips? Guitarslinger?

• Members

I had one and LOVED it! It is by far the most amp-like sounding pre I have ever played and I've played most of them. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was going away from rack stuff to combo's. A friend of mine had a Triaxis and the quad sounded WAY better to me! The only problem is it's 3 rack spaces, weighs a lot, and unless you find one of the VERY RARE Quads with built in midi they aren't midi switchable w/o a switcher box.

• Members

A guy over at the boogie board uploaded this quad clip.

http://strait.altervista.org/mp3/infinities.mp3

"This one was recorded with Quad connected to my custom mono tube poweramp (6L6, 50W) through a Recto 4x12 cab, Sennheiser e606 mic, M-Audio mic preamp. The guitar was my Tom Anderson Drop Top with H2+ humb at the bridge and SD1-SD1R in neck-middle position. "

• Members

A guy over at the boogie board uploaded this quad clip.

"This one was recorded with Quad connected to my custom mono tube poweramp (6L6, 50W) through a Recto 4x12 cab, Sennheiser e606 mic, M-Audio mic preamp. The guitar was my Tom Anderson Drop Top with H2+ humb at the bridge and SD1-SD1R in neck-middle position. "

Not working..

• Members

I owned one a couple of years back and ran it through the effects return loop of a vtm120. it sounded good and had the usual odd boogie tone control thing going on. I enjoyed it alot; but it wasnt as mean sounding as I needed it to be I guess. the clip did it justice (which was also helped with the phenomenal playing...) for sure.

• Members

I have one.

It is the most metallica sounding preamp I have. by far.

CLeans are nice too.

I just wish the channel volumes balanced better.

The ch volume difference was brought up a few times recently and supposedly there's a resistor that needs changing in order to fix/help it. I haven't tried it though.

I love my quad and it's back to being my #1 right now :thu: The recording outs (cleans) are decent, everything else is kinda meh.

• Members

The ch volume difference was brought up a few times recently and supposedly there's a resistor that needs changing in order to fix/help it. I haven't tried it though.

I love my quad and it's back to being my #1 right now
:thu:
The recording outs (cleans) are decent, everything else is kinda meh.

Why do you think it's good if everything is mediocre except the recording outs? :confused:

• Members

Why do you think it's good if everything is mediocre except the recording outs?
:confused:

You asked about the recording outs, so that's what my answer was about...the recording outs :) The clean tones from the rec outputs is ok but the dirty, crunch/heavy, lead tones are pretty cheap sounding with the recording outs. It's nothing nothing NOTHING compared to the great tone from the normal output (or fx send).

• Members

It's a very flexible and fantastic sounding preamp, with the downsides that it's old tech and is one big heavy bastard. As mentioned, there are a few MIDI enabled units around, but most of them you'll have to either just use the FU-2, or you'll need some kind of switcher. When I was looking around for a switcher for mine, Mario @ Axess told me the CFX4 (I think it's called) is no good for it, but he pointed me in the direction of the GCX switcher. That's worked fine for me, but it's also basically just made a 3U preamp into a 4U unit.

Sound-wise, they're fantastic, if you're into that Boogie sound. If you don't like the Mark series sounds, having more controls in a big bastard rack format isn't going to change anything about that.

The recording outs are fairly rubbish, although I haven't experimented much with them really. I've got my POD and GT-8 if I want to record direct.

As for getting brutal... dunno, guess it depends on your definition of brutal. My Mark III could get so massively gainy it was just disgusting. Completely unusable. And yet I see some people complaining they can't get enough gain out of them. I dunno, maybe i'm doing something different. :freak:

Anyways, the Quad has plenty of gain on tap, but of course, the channels have paired controls. As in you have channel one which is your R1 (clean) and L1 (plenty of gain available), and then channel 2 which is R2 (not quite clean up to Marshall-ish crunch) and L2 (again, lots o' gain available). So, if you want the most brutal of sludgy crap distortion on your lead 1, it means you'll most likely not be able to get a totally clean rhythm 1 too, coz you'll be pushing the channel volume as well as the lead drive.

Unlike the Mark III's 3 modes though, it's not hard to have great sounds set for all 4 of the modes at once.

That said, it's a big heavy bastard, and its lack of native MIDI control is a pain in the balls. At the moment I don't even use mine, I'm more happy just using my Digitech 2112. :love: Another unit I heard people saying couldn't do "brutal" distortion. :poke:

Archived