If Toyotas are made in USA whay aren't they priced like they're made in USA???

illroy

• Members

He'll never admit it, but big suv's are just status symbols. They just say, "hey, check me out i'm richer than you, and i like paying $100 everytime i fill up. But i really love the economic 10 mpg i get!"

the funniest part is how insecure one must be in order to justify spending an additional $10k+ for a new truck based SUV over a comparible new car, not even counting the additional money wasted on gas over the lifetime of the vehicle

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
the funniest part is how insecure one must be in order to justify spending an additional $10k+ for a new truck based SUV over a comparible new car, not even counting the additional money wasted on gas over the lifetime of the vehicle

Why don't you shut the {censored} up you holier than tho cocksucker!!!! He bought the mother{censored}er because he wanted it end of story. Should everyone drive a damn Prius? :mad:

:blah: Look at me, I'm so intelligent,,,,,,,,save the trees. :blah:

• Members
Why don't you shut the {censored} up you holier than tho cocksucker!!!! He bought the mother{censored}er because he wanted it end of story. Should everyone drive a damn Prius?
:mad:

:blah:
Look at me, I'm so intelligent,,,,,,,,save the trees.
:blah:

you realize, you are defending someone who bought a 4WD truck, AND HAS NEVER HAD IT IN 4WD-LOW? :poke:

• Members

I don't know why they don't make more 4DR hatchbacks. Ford had(has?) a Focus model like that, but I'm not aware of a Japanese manufacturer with a comparable vehicle, or at least I never see them. I'd have no problem leaving my Jeep aside only for off-road usage and getting a 4DR hatchback similar to the Focus - great gas mileage, reasonably roomy for a compact (I am 6'3" :freak:) and room enough for a 4"x12" and other stuff.

• Members
Grand Cherokee is a different vehicle almost completely though. I've never liked them...for that matter I'm not a big fan of the sedan masquerading as an SUV. The Cherokee to me is the very definition of SUV - if you need some seating, need some off road (serious off road) capabilities and decent storage, the Cherokee was perfect. Good gas mileage? Of course not. The thing is a box so the wind resistance alone screws your mpg. When this vehicle came out though, I could get gas for like $1 per gallon though so no one cared.

I just wish I had been better at keeping a coat of wax on it over the last couple years because the paint is starting to be worn off in places by the southern sun.
:cry:
I anticipate replacing this vehicle in the next two years, and I will buy used - and probably japanese. Seriously though, taken for what it is supposed to be (i.e. not an ultra gas efficient compact highway vehicle - but a truck) the Cherokee was one of the last good American vehicles. If you have the standard maintenance done, the inline 6 will run to eternity. I've never had a transmission problem, either.

I'll give you the fact that they are very different vehicles. Regardless of utility, it sucks to see one of my vehicles still doing so well (Camry) and the other a rust bucket with creaks and squeaks and external and internal noises, hydraulic lift gate arms that need replaced (twice), has a bad HVAC problem where the AC drips water in the passenger floorboard ("fixed" under warranty 6 different times - it still leaks), Radio that has needed to be replaced twice, electrical problems worked on 2-3 times, bad rear axle grinding noise (I think this was a recall situation), etc., etc. If I was hard on the Jeep and actually used it as it can be used, I doubt it would even be running now! It's been treated very well, just driven a good amount.

• Members

I'll also concede that if I were to buy an SUV or truck, GM's would be top of the list. I can't fault GM trucks, they have been hallmarks of my family and friends and have been great. My dad's '07 Silverado is pretty plush, and the new Tahoes and Denali's are nice. Other than trucks, though, there isn't much there I'd look twice at.

• Members

I'll give you the fact that they are very different vehicles. Regardless of utility, it sucks to see one of my vehicles still doing so well (Camry) and the other a rust bucket with creaks and squeaks and external and internal noises, hydraulic lift gate arms that need replaced (twice), has a bad HVAC problem where the AC drips water in the passenger floorboard ("fixed" under warranty 6 different times - it still leaks), Radio that has needed to be replaced twice, electrical problems worked on 2-3 times, bad rear axle grinding noise (I think this was a recall situation), etc., etc. If I was hard on the Jeep and actually used it as it
can
be used, I doubt it would even be running now! It's been treated very well, just driven a good amount.

God that sounds horrible. I have had to replace my hydraulic lifts once, but those things are like $20 or less at Auto Zone and they will always give out eventually. I do know one person with a late 90's Grand Cherokee and its in about as bad shape as yours. They aren't even built on the same frame as the Cherokee, I believe, so they really don't have much in common at all.

You certainly couldn't do this to it (not that you would want to):

• Members

My 93 Accord did not have an issue until about 210,000 miles. After a little work, it's still fine, and gets nearly 40 MPG on the highway. I don't think the new hybrid Accord gets anywhere near that. That's about what the hybrid Civic gets lol.

My 95 Accord is at 150,000 miles, has had no issues, and gets somewhere over 30 MPG, even though it's automatic.

My parents have only driven Toyotas since about the 80s now. They've owned 5, still have 3 of them, and only one ever had any issues or doesn't run. My dad's original Corolla from the 80s lasted at least 10 years without any problems, and only died because he gave it to my grandparents, who literally don't take care of cars at all. They also gave my grandfather their old Sienna, which still runs fine.

I think I'll stick with the Japanese cars. :)

Archived