What cab for rock/metal?? With Hi-gain head e.g Hughes & Kettner Triamp

mda96bjh

• Members

Hi all

I am a n0000b at this i'm afraid

previously owned combo's but now getting myself a Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk II

Having spent all my money on the head i would like to save a bit on the CAB. The H&K cabs are very expensive so i would like to save some cash if i can.

What do I need to look for in terms of speakers etc??

should i get a cheap marshall cab or look on ebay for an old 5150 cab.

Could i get away with using a 2x12 & still preserve the fat tone the valve amps are known for??

• Members

Buddy, The 1960A cabs are far from the greatest cabs for Hi-gain. Infact, I hate then for anything except marshalls because they are so scooped (which is perfects for marshalls because of the mids they have, but sound like {censored} with alot of other amps).

You can probably get by very well on a Triamp with a Marshall 1960A; cause triamps have EL34s. But I highly recommend any cab with Vintage 30's; Especially if you get an amp with 6L6 powertubes. Vintage 30s are speakers MEANT for rock/metal/high gain.

• Members

mda, watch ebay. Cabs are mostly pick up only so search say like within 25 miles of where you are and go pick one up. Some go quite cheap because people cannot be bothered to go collect. I did this with mine and got a good price on it. A cab with celestion Vintage 30's or G12H speakers are probably your best bet.

Archived