Behringer clip

Knottyhed

• Members

I've seen Behringer get alot of stick on the forums in the past... there's a clip here recorded with one of their Vamps that sounds good to me http://www.andygavin.com/music.php

I also used one of their heads at a studio a while back, it sounded pretty good... so why all the Behringer hate? Seems to me that they make a good product for a good price.

• Members

Dude, that's not how HCAF works. You have to make a really vague post, something like, "hey d00dz listen to teh awesome tube t0nez on tihs clipzz ! ! 11!" or "d00d3rz guess teh t00b ampz on tihs clip !! 1 ! !". Then proceed to witness collective oohs and aahs because most of the people on here can't tell well-recorded modeler tone from that of a real amp.

Mrmot, if you recall i was floored by your layered gm108 clip. I suggest you try a DOD YJM pedal as a boost for your v-amp. Adds presence and removes muddiness. :thu:

• Members
Dude, that's not how HCAF works. You have to make a really vague post, something like, "hey d00dz listen to teh awesome tube t0nez on tihs clipzz ! ! 11!" or "d00d3rz guess teh t00b ampz on tihs clip !! 1 ! !". Then proceed to witness collective oohs and aahs because most of the people on here can't tell well-recorded modeler tone from that of a real amp.

+1

Mrmot, if you recall i was floored by your layered gm108 clip. I suggest you try a DOD YJM pedal as a boost for your v-amp. Adds presence and removes muddiness.
:thu:

hey man, thanks for the tip! When I'm recording I use a boss ge-7 graphic eq in front of it to add some presence.. I don't know if i said it, but i drilled a hole on the back of my GM108 and added a speaker out (2$ and 20 mins mod) so i can use the amp as a head with different speakers, I've used it with my studio.22's speaker and it sounded amazing. I currently don't own a guitar(traded it for the Mesa F-50) so i can't try it with my F-50's speaker but I'm pretty sure that the results will be very satisfying :thu: The Gm108 is an amazing little amp.

• Members
I've seen Behringer get alot of stick on the forums in the past... there's a clip here recorded with one of their Vamps that sounds good to me
http://www.andygavin.com/music.php

I also used one of their heads at a studio a while back, it sounded pretty good... so why all the Behringer hate? Seems to me that they make a good product for a good price.

I really really like your clips (nice JMP-1 clips). :thu:

Some people do not like modelers full stop, I think there great but you have to take them for what they are.
Behringer have got a bad rep as some of their products break easy.

You get what you pay for really.
I think behringer stuff is OK (I have owned a few bit's mixing desks, headphone amps etc..)

Very nice clips :thu:

• Members

hey man, thanks for the tip! When I'm recording I use a boss ge-7 graphic eq in front of it to add some presence.. I don't know if i said it, but i drilled a hole on the back of my GM108 and added a speaker out (2$ and 20 mins mod) so i can use the amp as a head with different speakers, I've used it with my studio.22's speaker and it sounded amazing. I currently don't own a guitar(traded it for the Mesa F-50) so i can't try it with my F-50's speaker but I'm pretty sure that the results will be very satisfying
The Gm108 is an amazing little amp.

Oooh! But your clip was done with the stock speaker, right? I still remember asking you for recording tips. :lol: Oh, and that clip recorded with a cheapo PC mic also got me scrambling to try it out myself. The results i got resembled crackling AM static but it was probably my crappy amp and my n00b technique. I did everything i could but i just couldn't get rid of the fizz.

So let me get this straight: you drilled a hole and put a speaker out jack? And you soldered the original speaker leads to it?

• Members
I really really like your clips (nice JMP-1 clips).

Some people do not like modelers full stop, I think there great but you have to take them for what they are.

Behringer have got a bad rep as some of their products break easy.

You get what you pay for really.

I think behringer stuff is OK (I have owned a few bit's mixing desks, headphone amps etc..)

Very nice clips

Not my clips, they're Andy Gavin's (whoever he is) - i just found it.

Speaking of modelling I've found this demo of the Spider Valve n'all...

http://www.vettaville.nl/vvlatestnewsnl.htm#682

Again, nice tones.

• Members

I think that was a great clip. I have heard some great clips with modelers - TesseracT and Neon Bob to name just 2 have clips that you couldnt distinguish from real amps.

Of course, poorly recorded modeler clips do have a digital fizzyness to them.

Even with well recorded clips like the one posted, you will have the idiots who will claim to hear all the digital crap all over it yet the same people have been fooled numerous times on this site when presented with a clip that someone says is a real amp - they all rave about it and then find out it was a modeler and then they all say - i knew that - i knew there was something off about it :rolleyes:

Modelers can sound great (like in the clip posted) or they can sound crap. Same goes for tube amps. It depends whose hands they are in. Lots of people are stuck on a particular side of the fence when it comes to modelers and wont budge. They'll probably come on here and the v-amp clips ounds crap just because they know its a v-amp. It really doesnt bother me - or 99% of the public out there

• Members
Oooh! But your clip was done with the stock speaker, right? I still remember asking you for recording tips.
:lol:

well, i did several clips with it and i don't know which clip are you reffering to, some were with the stock speaker, some were with the Mesa speaker. If i told you that it was the stock speaker, then it was ;)
have you seen this thread - Guess the amp :D :D

Oh, and that clip recorded with a cheapo PC mic also got me scrambling to try it out myself. The results i got resembled crackling AM static but it was probably my crappy amp and my n00b technique. I did everything i could but i just couldn't get rid of the fizz.

well, that really depends on your soundcard, most of the onboard AC97 soundcards are really noisy

So let me get this straight: you drilled a hole and put a speaker out jack? And you soldered the original speaker leads to it?

yep, drilled a hole and added a female jack that has a switch inside so when I plug a speaker in that jack it automatically shuts off the internal speaker, like the headphone jack works, had to resolder and cut the original wires that were going from inside tha amp to the speaker so that the new jack is between them. It really is a simple mod, you only have to know how to solder, i didn't, this was my first soldering ever :D

i did it according to this scheme (it's a pdf file, you'll need acrobat reader to open it): adding speaker jack from this page - NOTE: there is one mistake in this scheme, he says to connect the wires with the "ring" of the jack, well, guess what, mono jacks and cables don't have a ring, just Tip and Sleeve, that's why they're called TS (and not TRS which are tip-ring-sleeve, and are stereo), so just substitute the word "ring" in this pdf with "sleeve" ;)

• Members
well, i did several clips with it and i don't know which clip are you reffering to, some were with the stock speaker, some were with the Mesa speaker. If i told you that it was the stock speaker, then it was
;)
have you seen this thread -
Guess the amp
:D

Wow that sounded good. How many tracks?

well, that really depends on your soundcard, most of the onboard AC97 soundcards are really noisy

Nah, the fizz came from the amp. Try as i might, i just couldn't take it out. Also when i tried to record with layers just as you did, i first broke out my SM57 and tube preamp. I got the same fizzy result. I was using a Creative Sound Blaster and if there was any form of signal degradation it would have to be a loss of high end. My input levels were way below clipping.

yep, drilled a hole and added a female jack that has a switch inside so when I plug a speaker in that jack it automatically shuts off the internal speaker, like the headphone jack works, had to resolder and cut the original wires that were going from inside tha amp to the speaker so that the new jack is between them. It really is a simple mod, you only have to know how to solder, i didn't, this was my first soldering ever

i did it according to this scheme (it's a pdf file, you'll need acrobat reader to open it):
adding speaker jack
from
this page
- NOTE: there is one mistake in this scheme, he says to connect the wires with the "ring" of the jack, well, guess what, mono jacks and cables don't have a ring, just Tip and Sleeve, that's why they're called TS (and not TRS which are tip-ring-sleeve, and are stereo), so just substitute the word "ring" in this pdf with "sleeve"
;)

I am definitely gonna consider doing that to one of my combos.

• Members
Question: exactly what kind of jack did you use? I've never seen a jack with a switch. Can you point me to pics online?

the one i got looks like this, i'm not sure if that's the exact one and how many pins it has but it looks like that

2630403116.jpg

it has a simple mechanical switch inside so that when you plug a speaker jack in it, it connects the wires coming from the output transfomer of the amp to the new jack. If nothing is plugged in, it simply passes the current to the stock speaker.

• Members

whoops, missed this post

Wow that sounded good. How many tracks?

if i remember correctly, four. 2 left and 2 right.

Nah, the fizz came from the amp. Try as i might, i just couldn't take it out. Also when i tried to record with layers just as you did, i first broke out my SM57 and tube preamp. I got the same fizzy result. I was using a Creative Sound Blaster and if there was any form of signal degradation it would have to be a loss of high end. My input levels were way below clipping.

well, try to play with the mic positioning... also, did you happen to have a turned on CRT monitor near the amp/guitar? They add a LOT of noise

I am definitely gonna consider doing that to one of my combos.

yeah, that's a really cheap and easy and amazingly useful mod.. but, be careful if you're gonna do it to a tube amp, ohms and stuff, you know ;)

• Members
the one i got looks like this, i'm not sure if that's the exact one and how many pins it has but it looks like that

2630403116.jpg

it has a simple mechanical switch inside so that when you plug a speaker jack in it, it connects the wires coming from the output transfomer of the amp to the new jack. If nothing is plugged in, it simply passes the current to the stock speaker.

Where can i buy that online? I saw this:

http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part/255/Discount_1-4_Mono_Jack_with_built-in_switch.htm

But i like the look of the one in your pic better.

• Members

Clip was decent but makes me wonder how much post recording touching up and eq'ing was done. I've heard clips that sound like absolute dog crap sound incredible after the post recording processing is done to them.

The Behringer clip? No idea, maybe alot, maybe a little... the spider valve clips apparently have no EQ and just a smattering of reverb (according the the guy's website).

• Members

Say what you want about em but I have a bunch of their stuff and they get the job done well. The only thing I don't care for is the battery life on some of the FX pedals. the 802 mixer and various rack FX and Tube preamp I have is great.

• Members
Sure do:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=21893827

Check out the Doorbell song. Its the GDI21 pushed through a XXX combo. I roasted the Screen Grid resistors on the amp just after this track. Cheap easy fix though.
Comments welcome.

That sounds nice. Guitars could be more up-front in the mix. How was your rig set up?

Archived