Fender DRRI vs Super Reverb

joegrant413

• Members

Has anyone tried both of these... and any opinions?

I really love the sweet cleans on my new DRRI. But my problem with the DRRI is I was hoping to play my OD pedals through the Normal Channel with the reverb. (Yeah, I know there are mods to workaround around this, which I might do someday.) Plus, I suspect I'd love the 4x10 cab on the Super Reverb.

Now, I only play at home, but play at a "shouting volume" in my basement. IMHO, a 4x10 cab doesn't have to play super loud to still sound great.

The other thing I notice about the Super Reverb is that the Reverb has input and output jacks. Does this mean I can directly hook up the Normal channel to use the Reverb?

Anyway... opinions on comparing these two RIs would be greatly appreciated!

Thx,

-- Joe

• Members

I don't think you can use the Rev. on the normal channel of the Super

Honestly, I'd keep the Deluxe if you're only playing at shouting volumes in the basement...unless you just prefer the tone of the Supers. These are two of my favorite amps and you just have to go out and play them to find out which one you prefer.

• Members

I really love the sweet cleans on my new DRRI. But my problem with the DRRI is I was hoping to play my OD pedals through the Normal Channel with the reverb.

How come you can't plug your OD pedal into the normal channel? I do and love the sound. I use that for crunchy chords and use the master volume for leads. Works great.

• Members

How come you can't plug your OD pedal into the normal channel? I do and love the sound. I use that for crunchy chords and use the master volume for leads. Works great.

Yeah, I *LOVE* the tone of my OD / distortion pedals via the Normal Channel. But the DRRI has this killer reverb that only comes with the Vibrato Channel. The Vibrato Channel does not easily handle my pedals... lots of fizz now. However, people are telling me to take my time to break in the tubes and the speaker. And there are a couple of relatively easily mods to make to the DRRI itself... which I don't plan to do, at least not right away.

Overall, a guitar plugged directly into the DRRI makes lots of wonderful tones that make you want to play for a loonnnng time. So I'm pretty happy with it.

Thx,

-- Joe

• Members

i have a super and find the cleans to be some of the best heard on any amp, especially for what you can find them used. i have no problems using all sorts of pedals into the vibrato channel (i actually rearely use the normal channel) especially fuzz and OD. think of the reverb in/outs as an effects loop for just the vibrato channel. you cant make it work for the normal channel without some modification. ive played the deluxe, and it has quite comparable cleans, but a lot closer to a twin, so in that regard, its whatever tone suits you. but 4-10s are great. the super doesnt do too well with higher gain pedals, as the speakers (alnico) and transformers arent designed for that sort of stuff in mind.

becasue you play at home, even at shouting levels, its silly to get anything over 5-10 watts if you want to get it to break up without a master volume. its really surprizing how loud 10 watts are. if you want clean headroom, and want to get dirt with pedals, then increase your wattage.

• Members

I really love the sweet cleans on my new DRRI. But my problem with the DRRI is I was hoping to play my OD pedals through the Normal Channel with the reverb. (Yeah, I know there are mods to workaround around this, which I might do someday.) Plus, I suspect I'd love the 4x10 cab on the Super Reverb.

Now, I only play at home, but play at a "shouting volume" in my basement. IMHO, a 4x10 cab doesn't have to play super loud to still sound great.

The other thing I notice about the Super Reverb is that the Reverb has input and output jacks. Does this mean I can directly hook up the Normal channel to use the Reverb?

Anyway... opinions on comparing these two RIs would be greatly appreciated!

Thx,

-- Joe

I've heard that the CK speaker in the DRRI does need some break in time to warm up. That will help. My DRRI has the P12Q speaker that I found to be a little warmer from the get go. Now after almost a year, it's broken in nicely. .

The problem with most folks is that they love the DRRI amp, but they want to use it in a way it was not intended. This is a pro amp, made for primarily gigging players. This amp needs to get the volume up past halfway, that's where it's sweet spot lies.

That being said, you can use it at home. The fizz you are hearing with pedals on the vibrato channel comes from a low volume, and a bright cap that is on that channel. At low volumes with OD/Dist. pedals that bright cap does promote this fizz your hearing. As the volume goes up, the fizz is pretty much a non-issue.

The mod you are referring to is a bright cap clip. I had it done, and really it's a no-brainer. Takes 30 seconds, and is totally reversable if the tech knows what he's doing. It will make a big difference. The vibrato channel will sound somewhat similar to the normal channel, a little brighter still, but with the effects.

Now, if you really want to open that amp up, do not use the normal channel. Pull that V1 tube, and kill that normal channel. Now that vibrato channel will open up completely. The channel will be louder, more dynamic, fuller, has a touch more gain and will take pedals beautifully at lower volumes with no fizz. Try it, you'll like it:)

• Members

Thanks again for all the info so far!!

Does the Super Reverb RI have any of the fizz issues people get with the DRRI? (Again, I understand the DRRI can be broken in over time, played louder, or modded for a workaround.) It would be a plus if the SRRI played did great things "out-of-box" for dirt pledals going into a channel with reverb.

-- Joe

• Members

Thanks again for all the info so far!!

Does the Super Reverb RI have any of the fizz issues people get with the DRRI? (Again, I understand the DRRI can be broken in over time, played louder, or modded for a workaround.) It would be a plus if the SRRI played did great things "out-of-box" for dirt pledals going into a channel with reverb.

-- Joe

my super takes all pedals wonderfully out of the box. no fizz. just dont use high gain pedals with lots of bass, because the speakers can't handle the bass.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

my super takes all pedals wonderfully out of the box. no fizz. just dont use high gain pedals with lots of bass, because the speakers can't handle the bass.

I use a my Crunch Box or Jekyll and Hyde through my SRRI.They sound great.Not sure how High Gain you would consider those .

Archived