• Members

dc747c1.jpg

dc747c6.jpg

dc747c7.jpg

dc747c3.jpg

dc747c4.jpg

dc747c5.jpg

dc747c2.jpg

Man, this thing is a looker. But I gotta say, the setup out of the box was kinda {censored}ty. The string height was kind of high & the neck is definetly thicker than I expected. I lowered the strings down and it's definetly playing a lot better, but i'm still on the fence about the neck thickness. I'm having no problem getting around the frets, but i'm so used to my RG7620 neck that the Carvin IMO is a pretty decent difference (I have small girly hands). Maybe sanding & a re-tung oiling would be in order (anyone have suggestions). Trem handles great, dives and flutters were pulled off with ease. The pickups are not bad, but lacking a little character (definetly will be switching at least the bridge humbucker, thinking a D Sonic). Overall, excellent guitar. I just don't know if the neck profile issue is big enough for me to send it back.

• Members

I've got a DC727 (my Avatar pic) and it's become my main goto guitar for just about everything.

I threw a set of Bareknuckle pickups in and now it sounds great.

the neck profile on these is one of the things I like best about it.

You've got 10 days, do what I did (I had never even seen a Carvin 7 before , never mind play one). I threw a set of 9-42 + 56 D'Addarios on it (I hate those Elixirs they ship them out with ), and play the crap out of it for the next nine days.

I've actually gone to a 9-46 + 60 (DR hiBeam set) and I like it even better.

Congrats she's a beauty! Carvin 7's are great shred machines.

***EDIT*** I see you're in Waltham, if you decide you like everything but the neck thickness you can bring it to Jim Mouradian over in Cambridge and he can shape it exactly how you like it.

the man is a master.

• Members

Congrats on the new guitar. Carvin neck-throughs are great guitars. Good features for the money and plenty of cosmetic options to make it special. I like that green burst and applaude you for going with black hardware. Looks sweet.

I thought the pickups in my Carvin were ok, but not special. Much better than most no name factory pups, but not refined like a good aftermarket replacement. If you can stand to wait, a great replacement would be Duncan`s Blackout actives. When they come out in standard 7-string humbucker models.

Eric

• Members

congrats! I own a 747c as well, and I love it.

The neck profile is actually nearly identical to the j-custom ibanez that I have. I think the problem is that you're used to the uberthin necks on the RG's, moreso then the carvin has a thick neck. Go play a schetcher 7 and you'll see what thick is.

-W

• Members

I used to have a Carvin 7 string. It was Anitque Brown stain, over flame maple with blackburst edges, it was really the best looking guitar I ever seen. It played great too, but it was soo bright sounding.. I also didnt like the neck profile, after awhile of playing it I realized I didnt really dig the neck profile. I also have an RG7620 and I just preferred playing that more.. I sold it and I didnt get close to what I wanted in $. WHen I bought the Carvin 5 years ago, I got it for just over a $1000. It only sold for $680 2 years later.. Although the "everyone hates 7 strings and is using 6 strings again" was at full force about 2 or 3 years ago.. SO that drove down the price, but see if you dig it, I really dont like the Carvin pickups at all. I dont know how you like em, but I couldnt stand em..

• Members

I just got my first Carvin 727 and I thought the neck was somewhat beefy at first, but as you say, "playing the living hell out of it" for a couple of weeks I now find the neck really quite comfortable. I was worried because I bought a hellraiser 7 and just couldnt get used to the neck so I sold it.

I put a Blaze Custom in my 727 and it sounds friggen great...I will be buying another probably soon.

Congas your 747 looks sweet!

• Members

Looks great (a little blurry but I get the idea). I've got a pair of carvin 6 strings. Used to have 3. I had a holdsworth and traded it for my C66 which is my main guitar. I use my DC135 (converted to a DC127 by routing out the neck for a humbucker) as a backup and for alternate tunings.

It'd take a petrucci music man to pry me away from my C66.

• Members

How is the 7 string with only 25.5" scale? I want a 7, and I love my Carvins, but the scale is what has kept me from getting one. I wouldn't be tuning it down or anything, but I've tuned to B with some heavy strings on my Strat and it still felt pretty sloppy.

• Members

Guitar looks sweet. I ordered a DC727 a few days ago, and I'm already in GuitarTraq hell... Can I ask how long it took to get your 747? I'm hearing some people say 6-8 weeks is normal nowadays, but I remember ordering from Carvin a few years back, and I would always wind up waiting at least 12 sometimes 16 weeks. I'm curious to hear your lead times.

Oh yeah - LOVE the black hardware too. And the flamed finish! Sweet...

Bobby

• Members

I ordered mine june 20 and got it Sept 27, guitartraq just about killed me

Yeah i've been hearing about people waiting a looooooong ass time for theirs. But I ordered mine the second week in Sept and got it Oct 31st, so it was 7ish weeks. Not bad.

Archived