Legacy Arrived!

Guiary

• Members

I only tried it out for about 20mins so far and will give it a full run through tomorrow side by side with the 5150. From my first impression is that it has a lot of bass, and also makes me think that my tubes are going on the 5150 lol.

Overall I think it'll work out well, but despite what everyone else says I think I'll be going the 6L6 route for it.

Gary

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ya I've noticed the insane volume. Sadly I don't think I'll be going past 2.5 on the volume. Unless I try it out at 50Watts. BTW is there much tone difference going to 50Watts?

Not much difference. Almost no difference in volume. It does seem to stay a little more focused in 100 watt mode.

• Members

Honestly I didnt notice any diff between 50 / 100 W. The Legacy sounded amazing to me with EL34L's or mullard reissues. Very powerful. I didnt ever try 5881's in it but I bet that would be nuts...I guess I could in my Valvemaster.

• Members

Honestly I didnt notice any diff between 50 / 100 W. The Legacy sounded amazing to me with EL34L's or mullard reissues. Very powerful. I didnt ever try 5881's in it but I bet that would be nuts...I guess I could in my Valvemaster.

The Legacy with 5881's will give you way too much bass with a closed back cab. In a Valvemaster combo amp they sound far better than EL34's.

• Members

Now are 5881 and 6L6's the same? or relatively close? Cause if you say that the 5881's are very bassy and the 6L6's will be similar that might scare me off trying it out.

5881's are a sturdier version of 6L6's. If you are using a 4x12 cab then stick with EL34's.

• Members

I think it's all 12AX7 Groove Tubes. I think swapping those would help out sound wise.

Also are the amps biased cold from factory? Would it be recommended to bias them hotter?

The Groove tubes that mine came with were relabled JJ ECC83's which are dark sounding tubes. Swap out V1 for a brighter tube EH, Tungsol ,etc..and put a 12AT7 in V5. Yes the bias is most likely set cold from the factory.

• Members

I thought mine was {censored}ed up when I first got it because it had so much bass...put a parametric in the loop and tweak it, you can get almost any tone you want that way, and put a Krank distortus on the clean to make you wonder why you have an Uberschall...I do. Like I've said before, the clean is absolutely perfect and loud, it can hang with anything. And the verb sounds great too. I can just play on the clean and have fun. You'll love it, even harmonics rule.

• Members
I thought mine was {censored}ed up when I first got it because it had so much bass...put a parametric in the loop and tweak it, you can get almost any tone you want that way, and put a Krank distortus on the clean to make you wonder why you have an Uberschall...I do. Like I've said before, the clean is absolutely perfect and loud, it can hang with anything. And the verb sounds great too. I can just play on the clean and have fun. You'll love it, even harmonics rule.

Interesting! Do you have any clips of that Krank pedal? :eek:

I dont think Ive ever played a legacy before.

• Members

no clips, I'm not that sophisticated...but seriously true. Had a jam one night and I let my friend play the Bogner and I played the Legacy and pedals...it really disappointed me, I spent 3k on the uber stack and the the legacy is capable of it all and it has a real clean that isn't drowned out by the gain channel. Buy one of the pedals, it is really good (surprised me...I bought it to do brutality only, but it can do a little more than that) and cheep...no way i'd by a krankenstein when the pedal sounds just like it for $150 bucks.

Archived