What makes "pre500" Dual Rectos so special?

MrSandMan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't know, and those were the same words i got from M Bendinelli

M Bendinelli is wrong. I can find a few things "special" (lack of a better word) about the pre500.

Some musicians try to keep the facts on the down-low so nobody else can steal "their" tone.

• Members

Mr Bendinelli is Wrong?

I assume u do know more than him?

I can provide technical information of pre500 vs Post500 to prove Mr Bendinelli Wrong. In that regard, he is wrong.

Does it make the DR special? Probably in it's own way. That I guess is debatable.

• Members

They have a Mark III tranny in them.

Bingo! But wait... Mesa Boogie stopped putting the MKIII tranny in them at serial number R1313, not R0500.

So why isn't it claimed that Pre1313 are the holy grail?

tetaJ, my point in regards to Mr Bendinelli comment is it's like saying a 1969 Chevy Camaro is no more special than a 1996 Camaro.

• Members
This is a HUGE debate that I'm having on another forum. What makes this "pre500" the holy grail.

I bet this turns to a heated discussion.. but that's okay, lets talk about this HYPE.
:cop:

Dude, give it up. You're just trying to extend the hype to 1000 because you're selling one. I hope you never have anything I want.

• Members

George Lynch used to open up every DR before he bought it to make sure that it had some type of sharpie mark on the inside of it. He said that they were very early models and had something different about them. All hype or truth? Probably a little of both but I do like the two channel DR's better than the 3. That is a difference that I have heard myself.

• Members

Dude, give it up. You're just trying to extend the hype to 1000 because you're selling one. I hope you never have anything I want.

DUDE, wtf are you talking about?!?!?! This thread is about 'pre500' not 'pre1000'. So either put up or shut up!

Either contribute or go the F*CK AWAY!

• Members

George Lynch used to open up every DR before he bought it to make sure that it had some type of sharpie mark on the inside of it. He said that they were very early models and had something different about them. All hype or truth? Probably a little of both but I do like the two channel DR's better than the 3. That is a difference that I have heard myself.

This is true. He wouldn't say what he was looking for exactly. But how did this create the "pre500" hype? It's claimed that he started it, but I find no evidence this is true... He was looking in earlier models like you said.

Mmmm, makes me wonder.

• Members

Bingo! But wait... Mesa Boogie stopped putting the MKIII tranny in them at serial number R1313, not R0500.

tetaJ, my point in regards to Mr Bendinelli comment is it's like saying a 1969 Chevy Camaro is no more special than a 1996 Camaro.

I don't know... I had two of them... The first I bought new in '92 I can't remember the serial now but it was pre 500, the 2nd one was destroyed in a basement flood was a '93 and had no serial number anywhere. Not on the back, not on the board, no nothing... I was always at a loss for that one.

• Members

Ive heard this about the Mark III Output Tranny before also. But, how is the transformer after that different? I mean, if it worked well, wouldnt they have a similar design made to continue?

• Members

4nkam, thanks for the article. I'm going to read it now. I'm sincerely wanting to understand this pre500 thing to from every possible angle.

boogiebabies wrote on another forum:

To paraphrase Randall Smith and Doug West, " The easiest way to make an amp desirable is to stop making it".

That was the best thing I read all day. Very well grounded!

Riffy, which Recto do you remember liking more?

• Members

Ive heard this about the Mark III Output Tranny before also. But, how is the transformer after that different? I mean, if it worked well, wouldnt they have a similar design made to continue?

That's a great thing Jerry (FJA) could help us with. He would know better than most of us. I've read that tranny's play a HUGE role in tone.

• Members

4nkam, thanks for the article. I'm going to read it now. I'm sincerely wanting to understand this pre500 thing to from every possible angle.

boogiebabies wrote on another forum:

That was the best thing I read all day. Very well grounded!

Riffy, which Recto do you remember liking more?

I actually liked my first one better... I had to sell it and all the rest of my gear cause the wife got really sick. But it didn't have the really hyped bass and screeching treble that the later models did. It was more even across the board, at least to my ears. My latest one was really good as well, it did seem to have more bass than my first one though, although it did avoid the screeching treble or presence if you will.

• Members

That's a great thing Jerry (FJA) could help us with. He would know better than most of us. I've read that tranny's play a HUGE role in tone.

Yeah, I know the OT makes a big difference in tone, I am saying if the Mark III OT was doing a good job, why not continue with a similar design?

What makes the new design different? Why did they change it?

• Members

Yeah, I know the OT makes a big difference in tone, I am saying if the Mark III OT was doing a good job, why not continue with a similar design?

i've always wondered that as well

i do remember someone saying that mesa wouldn't reissue the IIC+ partially because they can't get those tranny's made anymore...maybe that's a similar deal?

i'm sure the people at mesa wouldn't really say if the old ones were better, they've got new ones they wanna sell

• Members

Not if they could do it cheaper and hope most people wouldn't notice, especially if it has ZOMG THREE CHANNELZ NOW!!1!!!!

• Members

I'm going to guess (like Fender have done in the past) was use up old stock. I'm guessing Mesa didn't know how well the Recto would impact the music industry and wanted to save costs on a gamble.

This is just a wild guess on my part, I don't have any evidence of this. I'm basing this off experience with the 1992 SRV Fender strat. Fender used up old stock of the brazilian rosewood fret board before introducing the Pau Ferro in late 92". Pau Ferro is known to be a more durable and stronger wood for the job.. and cheaper to come by. But from what I gather, Fender wanted to use up old stock from the late 80's.

I'm guessing that's what Mesa did with the Recto's MKIII tranny.

• Members

Alright. Nothing much going on in thread yet..

Here's the thing. The ONLY difference between my recto (812) and pre500 is the circuit board am i right? I got same tranny as pre500's rev F serial loop. I pretty much have the same recto as you MrSandman if I'm not mistaken? Our serials are close too.

Now people say trannies make huge difference? We got the same trannies as those guys. So what's left? Revisions.

I had a rev G before. Guess what? It sound sooo close to my rev F that it's insignificant.

What's left then? Rev C, D were like magical or something?

I'll never be sure (since I've never played in person) but I'm willing to bet that I can make them sound exactly similar and you wouldn't know in a blind test...

So.. If you're paying extra 1k, pay it for MOJO not tone...

My 2 cents.

Archived