Amp buzz reaches unbearable level

icecap

• Members

This problem has been getting worse and worse, and it has reached the point where i cant play for more than a minute without it cutting out to the extremely loud buzz. If i wiggle the cord in the input jack (of the amp) it returns to normal, but the second i let go it goes back to buzzing (very very loudly).

Any ideas how i can fix this?

• Members

Take it to a tech, and have them either replace or repair the jack. Well, have them fix the problem. I tend to stay away from home surgery on my amps of any kind. If the amp does explode, I want someone else to be accountable so I can get it replaced.

• Members

It sounds like you have a grounding problem to me. If you have more than one guitar, try a different guitar. If it buzzes with both guitars, it's possible your house isn't grounded properly. Doesn't really sound like a bad input jack to me, unless the sound is cutting in and out when you jiggle it.

• Members
It sounds like you have a grounding problem to me.

Yes could be, but it also could still be inside the amp. This is one reason jacks should not be directly soldered to the PCB, every time you plug in it stresses the board, sooner or later you have a bad solder connection.

• Members

It sounds like you have a grounding problem to me. If you have more than one guitar, try a different guitar. If it buzzes with both guitars, it's possible your house isn't grounded properly. Doesn't really sound like a bad input jack to me, unless the sound is cutting in and out when you jiggle it.

Yes, the sound cuts back in when i jiggle the cable in the input jack. So it seems it's definitely the jack?

Anyone know of a guide or diagram of how to replace a jack, i dont want to botch the job.

• Members

So it seems it's definitely the jack?

Have you tried another guitar? If so and it still cuts in and out, then it is the amp. But, if a different axe works fine, then it is the guitar.

Almost all trouble shooting is a process of elimination!!!

Peace out.

• Members

Have you tried another guitar? If so and it still cuts in and out, then it is the amp. But, if a different axe works fine, then it is the guitar.

Almost all trouble shooting is a process of elimination!!!

Peace out.

i dont have another guitar to test it, but im 100% sure its not the guitar. My old amp had the same symptoms and it was the amp.

• Members

i dont have another guitar to test it, but im 100% sure its not the guitar. My old amp had the same symptoms and it was the amp.

Borrow another guitar to be sure. I've been doing this forever and like I said above:Almost all trouble shooting is a process of elimination!!!

Peace out.

• Members

Just what sort of torture do you put your amplifiers through that two do this?

As for my first amp. I took a guitar class in highschool and apparently some kid from another class decided to mess with the input jack somehow (when i wasnt there)... the nut was missing too.

And this amp, i bought it off someone here at harmony central. It had this problem when i bought it, but it progressively got worse and worse.

Funny, did anyone tell him to check his CORD

i have tried different cords, same problem

Archived