Guitar Center 20% off sale

bohemoth

• Members

i just got a postcard in the mail for this 20% off sale from 8am to 10am on Nov. 23. Thought i would go pick up some cables or something, looked at the bottom and it says it excludes apple, bose, monster cable, mesa/boogie, zildjian, mogami, SSl, digidesign, euphonix, and used stuff. What are some other things that would be worth getting at guitar center? Maybe i'll finally pick up a tu-2.

hope this isnt a repost.

• Members
+1. The 20% off bit is there to get your attention, which it obviously did. Now it's your job to show up and grind the piss out of the sales staff.

Yes, indeed. Since I've left GC, I've gotten as good of deals as when I worked there simply by being one of "those guys". :p

• Members

i just got a postcard in the mail for this 20% off sale from 8am to 10am on Nov. 23. Thought i would go pick up some cables or something, looked at the bottom and it says it excludes apple, bose, monster cable, mesa/boogie, zildjian, mogami, SSl, digidesign, euphonix, and used stuff. What are some other things that would be worth getting at guitar center? Maybe i'll finally pick up a tu-2.

hope this isnt a repost.

I am really impressed with Planet Waves cables.

• Members

Most stuff in a music store is A-mark, meaning the retail is 2x the wholsale. 20% off retail mathematically just means Cost + 60%, which isn't that good of a deal. Cost + 10% is the usual employee price. Translating this into a retail discount would be the equivalent of 45% off retail.

Moral: 40% off retail give or take is where you want to be. Cash talks.

• Members

Most stuff in a music store is A-mark, meaning the retail is 2x the wholsale. 20% off retail mathematically just means Cost + 60%, which isn't that good of a deal. Cost + 10% is the usual employee price. Translating this into a retail discount would be the equivalent of 45% off retail.

Moral: 40% off retail give or take is where you want to be. Cash talks.

GC already discounts the stuff. You're correct about the A-mark stuff, but GC does sell most stuff for 25% or more off of list.

• Members

hope this isnt a repost.

Also says "20% off applies to single-item purchase at the store's tagged discount price."

Does that mean that only discounted tagged items count? Seems that way.

• Members
Yes, indeed. Since I've left GC, I've gotten as good of deals as when I worked there simply by being one of "those guys".
:p

I can't stand that {censored}. I hate having to haggle and be obstinate to get an honest market price. I just don't buy {censored} from GC. I hate people trying to sell me something, and I hate bull{censored}. WHen they give you some outrageous price and you react negatively, then they go "oh, well...maybe I can go to about $xxx price" I immediately get annoyed. Last time that happened to me I was pricing Petrucci model Music Man guitars, and they gave me a price way beyond what you can order them from Musicians Friend for. When I told them I knew I could order them for a few hundred less online they first said they didn't think so, then they started coming down on the price, but not enough. The last time I ever even consider ordering something through GC. I just said forget it and stormed out. :mad:

• Members

my business law teacher told me that one of his friends works at guitar center and they cant cut deals anymore. granted, thats just what he told me, that he couldnt get stuff for cheap from his friend anymore, idk how valid it is. maybe his fdriend just got sick of it or something

Archived