Annoying hum from amp's Line Out, how do i eliminate it?

Growl n' Chime

• Members

I'm trying to record my amp by going from it's Line Out - mixer - computer soundcard and using speaker simulator software. I'm getting pretty good tones but there's an annoying, constant hum that's ruining everything. I thought a direct box would cure it but i just took it out of the chain and didn't notice any difference in noise reduction. Any idea what the source of this noise is, and how i would go about eliminating or at least reducing it?

• Members

Hum is a pain in the ass. I still get a lot with my rig, but one thing that cut down on it a lot was turning my monitor off... I guess it was causing interference. My problem wasn't specific to the line out, though, but it's always more annoying that way, especially through headphones

• Members

If you are playing near a Computer monitor, you will get some very noticable hum from the monitor through your pickups, if you cut back on the 60Hz with an EQ and the hum quiets down, then the monitor is casuing the problem.

Another issue is that your amp, may actually be overpowerig your soundcard, typically you want a decent buffer, or mixer between the amp and soundcard.

In my non professional opinion you may have a combination of both problems, but try notching at the 60Hz mark and see if that helps.

• Members

Re-read yor post and seen you have a mixer in there, so I would say that your monitor would be a good source of the hum.

Yeah i do have a mixer, but it's an el cheapo behringer. Maybe i need to upgrade? Monitor is not the source, turning it off has no effect on this hum. And to the other poster yes my direct box does have a ground lift switch which i had switched on, but i'm pretty sure the noise level was the same that way as it is now with no direct box at all. Will do some more experimenting today, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions so far.

• Members

It could be dirty power. If you have a friend whose home rig dosen't have these problems, take it to his house and set it up there. If it has the same problem there, you know you need to keep looking at your components. It might sound fine through a different power source, in which case you could try different outlets and power conditioners, and unplugging other electrical equipment in your house... even if it's plugged into a different outlet, it could still be on the same circuit, and if the power coming into your house already has interference, you might be {censored}ed altogether. I've lived in houses like that, it's no fun.

Archived