OT: Laptop Debate

Jaredistheman

• Members

I have had at least 10 Dell laptops for my personal use and for my business. I finally got tired of paying for one of my employees to spend 3-4 hrs. per week on the phone with Dell's techs fixing one thing or another.

My son had a mac and in the 5 years he owned it had never called Apple once for a problem. So, I may be slow but I ain't stupid. I now own a macbook pro, my wife has a macbook and I bought a macbook for my son and an imac for the home.

I don't think mac is better than PCs (well except they look better), I just think the problem is explorer, people hate Microsoft so much that they go after explorer and ruin any computer that uses it.

That's weird. I've never had any problems with my Dell laptop. I switched to Mac because it's what my business needed. Plus I've always preferred OS X over XP.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

haha

"Fail?" "Broooootalz?" "Teh?" Have I been transported back to last years netisms?

netisms aren't meant to be cool or hip, they're meant to be annoying. realistically, if you can drag out an old one that is really aggraviting, its gold. playing online FPS games, i know firsthand that these guys aren't trying to be with the times when they yell out "PWNED YOU {censored}ING NOOBS" clipping their cheap $10 mic resulting in half the team suffering hearing damage. of course, its when people keep falling back on the same stale ones that they lose their power to annoy.

• Members

I am in exactly this situation....

I was thinking of either a macbook or a pc laptop.

Are there any sites which show performance results between macs and their equivalent PCs?

I would be using mainly for internet but also for running pro tools sessions on. The small screen size and 5400rpm HDD put me off the mac slightly, but I'd be prepared to sacrifice that if the system was quick and stable.

I'm running an MBP using PTLE with 30+ tracks(some stereo) and have had no issues.

• Members

I've been in the Windows camp for a LONG time. Since WIN3.1 in '92 or '93. I built a few DAWs using Windows machines. I just had problem after problem. I got fed up after my XP machine rebooted too many times in the middle of recording sessions.

I bought a MacPro roughly two years ago. I walked into an Apple store cause I was curious about the hype. Once the guy demoed it for me, I was sold. Everything was SO easy to do. Plus, it was all integrated so nicely. The thing that I'm starting to really get into is how much you can accomplish with the key board. I can do SO many things SO fast with just keyboard combinations.

So I brought it home and plugged in my DIGI002 and installed the software and it worked. No having to wait until some wizard prompts you and then do this step and then that. Plugged it in, ran the software, and I'm up and running. No having to dick with registry settings or disable this or that.

Plus, I love that the back end is Unix. I'm a software developer by day and work with Unix. I know how that stuff works and it's FAR more stable then Windows. I've seen the APIs for Windows and I know why the system is as {censored}ed up as it is.

I just recently bought a MBP and I will not buy another PC. In the past, you could make the argument that price was an issue but it's not anymore. They are both using Intel and now you can compare what you are getting. It WAS the main reason why I did not buy a Mac in the past. There was a comparison of prices with the Mac line vs Dell, et al. and they found that Macs were cheaper for the specs that you got. The only one that was NOT worth the price was the Mac Mini.

The problem with Apple is that they don't lower their prices as cpus/drives/memory gets cheaper between their product release cycle. But I could understand why as they depend on customer loyalty for their business. I was actually shocked when they reduced the price of the iPhone without any comparable replacement. You saw the reaction from customers with that!

I won't stop using Windows.. but I definitely prefer using Mac OS.

BTW, to this Dave character. You need to give it up. Second, I'd rather have a chick with huge cans in my avatar, who is cute btw, rather then Dave Mustaine, who is pretty damn ugly.

Archived