Alnico II vs JB pickups

wylderubicon

• Members

in my eariler thread I asked about fitting a trembucker in a Les Paul, I guess the answer is no.

So I will be getting a SD-59 Humbucker for the neck of my epi les paul.

for the bridge I can't decide between the alniccoII or the JB. which one is more versitile? or which one has a warmer sound?

this is a 2007 Epiphone. Do you recomend rewiring everything or just the pick ups? if yes, can I get wiring kits?

thanks

• Members

You may be able to fit a trembucker in there. I've been able to fit the older trem-spaced Duncans (which were really wide) in guitars with "regular Les Paul" routs and pickup rings...sometimes just barely though.

As for which of the pickups is more versatile or warmer, that's hard to say. First it depends on what you consider warm or versatile, and also it comes down to how the pickup will sound in your specific guitar (not model or brand, but the exact guitar). The Alnico Pro II will sound more vintage and sweet, and will be better suited for classic overdrive than modern sounds. That being said, it can also do harder-edged stuff as long as you like the way it responds with your amp at higher gain settings. The JB's voicing is less "classic" for sure.

You should just be able to replace the pickups, in any case.

• Members

Ditto to everything James said, especially about the way your particular, actual guitar interacts with the pickups... I have two USA made Hamers. My Studio has a JB in the bridge & it sounds great... but I have yet to try any Semour Duncan 'buckers in the bridge of my Mirage that come close to working -- neither the Alnico II nor the Distortion worked with that guitar, so I've still got a Dimarzio PAF Pro in there. Point being, experiment. If you have the means, I'd try both those pickups in your Epiphone. If cash is tight, make a rough guess based on "classic" vs. more "modern," with an eye towards experimenting more later on.

C

• Members

hey thanks for all the quick replies. I guess I will take the 59 trembucker I already have and try fitting it first if I can. Classic warn tone is what I look for, so looks like the alnicoII is for me in the bridge.

I read about the JB/59 combo everywhere, but never a APII/59 combo. I shouldn't have any output level problems right?

also any coments on the stock epi wires? would like to make the best of my upgrades.

Thanks again!

• Members

Glad to help.

The Alnico II Plus has lower output than the JB, so don't worry about it overpowering a 59 neck pickup. They'll match fairly well for output.

If you want someone to comment on whether you should "upgrade" your wires and pots in the Epiphone, I can't be that person. I find most talk of "upgraded components" to be a bunch of cork-sniffery and hogwash, since as long as the components are of a decent quality they're going to sound fine (and probably just as good as whatever you'd replace them with). And even if I've had to replace a guitar's pot because it's crackling or something, I've never had the new pot sound "better" than the old one. The typical "Les Paul wiring kits" you'll find for $50+ are just a few $2 pots, 20c worth of capacitors and about 50c worth of wire anyway. :)

• Members

I've got an early production JB which I gather is alnico V? Even though it has great drive and tone for leads, it doesn't sound anywhere near as warm and crunchy as my patent sticker 68 Gibson buckers. I've been told they're alnico III but all I know is; they sound great, full up or rolled back.

• Members
in my eariler thread I asked about fitting a trembucker in a Les Paul, I guess the answer is no.

So I will be getting a SD-59 Humbucker for the neck of my epi les paul.

for the bridge I can't decide between the alniccoII or the JB. which one is more versitile? or which one has a warmer sound?

this is a 2007 Epiphone. Do you recomend rewiring everything or just the pick ups? if yes, can I get wiring kits?

thanks

Id get a 59' for the bridge too. Its a great versatile & raw pickup.

• Members

What do you mean by raw?

It Just seems to sound like straight up, naked -ROCK-!

I get better metal sounds outa my Breed or Megadrive, BUT playing metal thru it isnt a problem. Cleans up well too. For me it shines doing stuff like AC/DC or UFO. I seem to prefer it in a mahogany hardtail.

Archived