do you "borrow" sometimes when writing?

zinzin

• Members

Define "borrow"

The Beatles "borrowed" from Early Rock n' Roll and other musicians all the time. ("nicking" they called it)

Brian Wilson "borrowed" from Phil Spector ("Be my little baby" by the Ronnettes became "Don't worry Baby" by the Beach Boys)

U2 (Bono) freely "borrows" from writings, poems, and other musicians and admits as much

Dylan freely borrowed from the Bible, folk songs, etc..

Springsteen borrowed from Dylan :)

Counting Crows appears to "borrow" from Springsteen (earlier stuff) and Dylan :D

Some great books are those "the story behind every song" books-

I have the Beatles, John Lennon, and U2...I think I have the Rolling Stones here somewhere as well...

You begin to understand how much "borrowing" goes on and how this is all just one big musical collective.

So-

define "borrowing" for me....?

• Members

"Borrowing" chords is fine...I mean there are only so many chord progressions that sound good in the world of rock (just make them your own by phrasing or layering them differently). Borrowing melodies just isn't right I think...that's what seperates songs and gives them their own signature, especially in rock, where everything would sound exactly the same if there were just chords. Borrowing strumming or picking patterns is okay in my book (I mean how many songs were written with Travis Picking back in the day?). I rarely borrow lyrics....I just use them for inspiration.

• Members

I have only *conciously* taken any lyrics for use in one of my songs...and it is in my sig. I doubt I will have any copyright issues.

Sometimes I have discovered I have unintentionally appropriated some music or lyrics from more modern artists. I always try to rectify that.

The occasional cliche slips in as well but I can live with that if it fits the overall tune. I may hate using the cliche but if the song "calls for it" then I will reluctantly keep it in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by MunyaBuddya

Some notoriously active "borrowers":

W. A. Mozart

W. Shakespeare

Bob Dylan

Miles Davis

I think you get the picture.

;)

Mozart is still an active borrower? Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Might as well throw Rush in there too, though I only know one song where they did it. I think it's either the song "Freewill" or "Spirit of the Radio" where they used the Paul Simon lyric, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls" or something to that effect. However, I think their usage was more of a tribute to Simon than a borrowing.

• Members

I "borrow" chord changes and modes to get me into a certian creative place. Some of the best song that I've ever written were after listening to a song that came on the radio. You'd never associate the two, if you heard them together, but it draws me to a different way of thinking that works.

Archived