What are the favorite Phaser Pedals?

Guiary

• Members

I still haven't found one that sounds good infront of the amp before the distortion. I've tried a Boss PH-2 which I've had for many years but meh, and now a BYOC Phaser which I love the sound of but once distortion is added it just doesn't cut it. Unlike the Flange pedal (BF-2 or 3 can't remember) that cuts through perfectly, I also use that for my 'Y' split between two amps.

The BYOC sounds awesome in the loop but I'm trying to think of ways in which I can run both amps with the phaser.

Except for delay my idea just isn't working.... Suggestions?

Also on a side note, how does Boss's CE-20 sound compared to ... what's available.

• Members

EVH Phase 90 and MXR are the same pedal. It is a cool effect.

They're different. The EVH phase 90 has a push-button toggle for "Script" mode, which is a more subtle phase similar to the 70's "script logo" phase 90s. With the button out, it replicates the modern phase 90's deeper phase.

I have the EVH 90, solid phaser, I use it reguarly.

-W

• Members

Phaser's are my favorite effect for gutiar. I've used a MXR Phase 90 for years,..also owned a Small Stone -- but after reading this thread I'm interested in the Red Witch Moon Phaser. Might have to pick one up and check it out.

It's got settings for phaser, tremolo, or both together (my favorite), and it sounds about as organic as Dagobah, to me! :D I think there are some clips at musictoyz or pedalgeek (forget which...).

• Members

Now how does it sound (EVH 90 that is) when it's placed in front of the amp??

Does it cut through and you can clearly hear the signal being phased.

Or do you run it in the FX loop?

I like using mine in front of the amp. I use the script mode and set the speed for slow (about 9 oclock). I use it for that subtle phase effect for slow, liquid leads though it works great for rhythms as well. If I need a heavy phase I use the fireworks (until my axe-fx gets here).

-W

• Members

They're different. The EVH phase 90 has a push-button toggle for "Script" mode, which is a more subtle phase similar to the 70's "script logo" phase 90s. With the button out, it replicates the modern phase 90's deeper phase.

I have the EVH 90, solid phaser, I use it reguarly.

-W

They really arent different, the toggle just gives you the option of switchng between a standard Phase 90 and an "R28" Mod Phase 90. sure, theres a difference but it isnt terribley noticable... Yes, its more subtle when engaged but when it isnt , youre not getting lost in phase...

I have a stock Phase 90 that I bought used for 40-50 bucks and it handles all the classic rock stuff that we do perfectly...

Kage

• Members

Ok how about getting that Pink Floyd Phaser sound during the song "breathe". I want a phaser that'll give me that sound when I play clean (Like what my BYOC can do) but still be noticable in front of my amp during the times of distortion...

Will the Phase 90's accomplish this?

How about the Red Witch? (Which I'd love to try out if it weren't so expensive, but if it does the job then... )

If I were to choose between the MXR's which one? Script logo, the other logo one, or EVH one?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Archived