Engl Savage 120 Review and Comparison.

Chrisjd

• Members

Well I have now played this amp on its own, and with the band.

WOW..... This just may be my favorite amp.

With my Cobra, it took me a month to find a tone that worked for me, the Savage took me 5 minutes.

The gain on this amp is very robust, and pretty natural if you ask me. I am pulling some very meaty and thick tones out of it, just as thick as my other amps, even the rectifier. What I notice with the savage is that it is very balanced and clear sounding. It has balanced highs mids and lows, and a lot of all of them.

Also, this amp CUTS! No bull{censored}ing here. With a full on band of 5, I could hear the savage through everything, and the beautifull part of it, is that i could hear everything cutting through, not just the spikey highs associated with other amps. the mids highs and a lows all came through, in a smooth way, yet still maintaining that ripping midrange.

Engl Savage 120 vs Framus Cobra...

-Both are very tight and responsive, evil voiced amps. The cobra maybe being a touch more responsive. The Cobra is also less forgiving, and exposes sloppy playing more. the savage is smoother but still with a lot of abbrassive, mean, and ripping midrange. think of the savage as having a smoother, finer, more refined distortion, and the cobra having a grainier, more jagged distortion.

Savage 120 vs 5150 II.

-the 5150 II is very tight, almost as tight as the savage. both amps cut thought like crazy, as does the cobra. the Savage again is a little more refined sounding and has a snappier bottom end probably. Both again are very evil sounding.

Vs Dual Rectifier.

-Savage is infinetely tighter and more fun to play unless the rectifier is boosted. Recto is a huge sounding amp, so is the savage but it is a faster amp.

Vs Powerball

-equally tight, just as much low end, more ripping midrange, and a touch less compressed. the powerball had that futuristic, dramatic, machine-like thing going on, which was cool, but i will appreciate the savage more for live applications.

YAY!

• Members

You liked it more than the SE?

No doubt. Only reason I kpt the SE REALLY, for the amount of time I did was because I had given my word to go through with a trade deal to Josh Sage, and I didn't want to send an amp, especially one THAT expensive, back to him. :( The Savage was tighter, more crisp, and sounded more alive, to my ears, than the SE.

-Ans-

• Members

No doubt. Only reason I kpt the SE REALLY, for the amount of time I did was because I had given my word to go through with a trade deal to Josh Sage, and I didn't want to send an amp, especially one THAT expensive, back to him.
:(
The Savage was tighter, more crisp, and sounded more alive, to my ears, than the SE.

-Ans-

"Alright Bitches, this is the Engl Savage 120." Ring a Bell? :lol:

• Members

"Alright Bitches, this is the Engl Savage 120." Ring a Bell?
:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrpBOMY9zD8

Yessss, and that video makes me miss my Savage 120 greatly....well, both of them. The better sounding of the 2 went to FalseRevRG on here, actually. :thu: I'll get another Savage 120, one of these days. But just to have in the stable, cause honestly, the Cobra sounds better in my band than the Savage did. But I LOVE the Savage 120's, that is for damn sure. :love:

-Ans-

• Members

Honestly I'm a bit disenchanted with the Whole ENGL line right now..Everyone I've had has an amazing Preamp but leaves something to be desired in the poweramp..

Sorry to be a debbie downer in the thread:freak:

I felt similarly about the powerball. Try the savage though, it reacts more along the lines of the cobra, not quite as extreme, but closer.

• Members

I felt similarly about the powerball. Try the savage though, it reacts more along the lines of the cobra, not quite as extreme, but closer.

I really should. I'm certainly not Knocking anything I havent tried. I've had two Blackmore's and They were pretty close to being Great amps for me but the High end would never warm up enough with volume like my other heads do..Just kind of cold. I heard that in the Powerball I had too so I just associated that as an "ENGL thing"

• Members

Thanks for posting the review Chris! I thought you might like the Savage. I'm sure it sounds as good at lower volumes, as it does at band volume.

Any clips coming our way???

:thu:

Yo Ted, I will get some clips commin soon. The Savage, like the blackmore, are killer band amps.

Archived