Fender Supersonic 112 vs Peavey Classic 50 212

keith101

• Members

I'm looking for real nice clean tones, not too bright, but nice and ballsy.

Also, gain channel has got to be quality, thinking more of huge classic to modern rock tones. Gonna be using a ts9 to push the amp harder for solos. which one of the two accepts pedals better? as i'll be using it with multiple pedals as well.

I know the pricing of these two amps are far from each other. but here in bangkok, the supersonic is just a little more expensive than the peavey.

so what do y'all think? which would you rather get if you could afford both?

:wave:

• Members

I used to play a Peavey Classic 212 and then had a Peavey Classic 112 later. Now I own a Super Sonic, and there really is no contest. The Super Sonic is so much nicer IMO.

I found the Peaveys to be more harsh and brittle sounding. They were great for the money - and reliable. But I would have to lean heavily towards the Super Sonic if you don't mind spending the extra $$$.

• Members

I'm looking for real nice clean tones, not too bright, but nice and ballsy.

Also, gain channel has got to be quality, thinking more of huge classic to modern rock tones. Gonna be using a ts9 to push the amp harder for solos. which one of the two accepts pedals better? as i'll be using it with multiple pedals as well.

I know the pricing of these two amps are far from each other. but here in bangkok, the supersonic is just a little more expensive than the peavey.

so what do y'all think? which would you rather get if you could afford both?

:wave:

As much of a fan of the C50 as I am, you would probably enjoy the SS more. The cleans are great and the gain will be a little heavier and more modern sounding than the Classic's lead channel (though it's still far from br00tlz modern high gain). Sure, great hard rock tones can be had with the classic, but you've gotta work a lot harder to get them.

• Members

What "work" do you have to do with a Classic for hard rock? They probably have about as much gain as a JCM800. Or are you really just referring to how the Supersonic can be more compressed when you turn the gain up?

It's not a gain thing, more of a voicing issue. To get anything approximating a modern (which is the key) rock tone you really need to be pretty careful with pickup, EQ, and boost selections. Not to mention it needs a speaker upgrade to realize it's potential. I love mine, but modern it isn't (without some coaxing) and was never meant to be.

• Members

Both good, but I'd take the SuperSonic out of those two. You can't go too far wrong either way though. The Peaveys are kind of generic sounding to me. They're decent, but don't really have the "wow" factor a really good amp does.

• Members

It's not a gain thing, more of a voicing issue. To get anything approximating a modern (which is the key) rock tone you really need to be pretty careful with pickup, EQ, and boost selections. Not to mention it needs a speaker upgrade to realize it's potential. I love mine, but modern it isn't (without some coaxing) and was never meant to be.

Gotcha. That's what I was getting at with the compression thing. About the only way to make a Classic compressed compared to any sort of modern amp is to literally turn the distortion channel up all the way with the gain maxed, and a high output humbucker. I recall the Supersonic's gain becoming more compressed when it was set higher, though I'm not so sure it really has more gain.

Personally, the thing I like about Classics is the way they can achieve a higher gain, but not so compressed, sort of distortion. I think it's unique for an affordable amp in that regard. Not a lot of amps really do that at all, and many are very pricey. I don't know about the 50s, as I don't believe turning up the clean channel volume itself will produce any distortion with the master volume low, but with the 30s, turning up the clean channel is especially good about that. It's not modern, but it's not so "vintage," either. If that's not exactly what you want, look elsewhere.

However, I'd consider the issue of speaker replacement a moot point, as the Supersonics cost more than picking up some Warehouse speakers along with a Classic would at the full new price, and GC has been selling the 50s for $400-500.

• Members

Oops, yeah, he might not even be able to get Warehouse speakers, and definitely not a cheapo blowout deal from GC. I forgot which thread I was in.

Yeap, i was thinking of replacing the speakers with greenbacks if i were to get the c50. but that would be more pricey than getting the ss.

• Members

What "work" do you have to do with a Classic for hard rock? They probably have about as much gain as a JCM800. Or are you really just referring to how the Supersonic can be more compressed when you turn the gain up?

HUH ??? :confused:

. . . are you saying that a C50 has as much GAIN as a Marshall JCM800 :eek: - is that correct ?

• Members

There are lots of amps with three different channels that sound like ass.

LOL . . . :D, yes, that IS true, but we all know by now, that the Bassman & Burn channel already have some serious good tone in them, and the "other" clean channel can be used to run your FX-pedals !

IMHO...(offcousre)...there is a MUCH Bigger Diff. in tone between the Bassman & Burn channel, than between the C50's clean & Overdrive channel !

That is ONE of the reasons i tend to look into the SS for myself, as i do not like the two channels just to be subtle variations of the two !!! . . . enter Fender SuperSonic :evil::idea::thu:

• Members

I don't recall the Super Sonics being true three channel amps. Isn't it just footswitchable between a clean and distortion? What does the three channel part even come from?

HUH ???
:confused:

. . . are you saying that a C50 has as much GAIN as a Marshall JCM800
:eek:
- is that correct ?

If I am remembering correctly, it's about the same as a 2203. I guess maybe 2205s have more, but I've never played one. It's not like they have as much as a 5150. Like a Classic, the preamp gain is not really getting into the high gain realm until you've pretty much maxed it out.

• Members

If I am remembering correctly, it's about the same as a 2203. I guess maybe 2205s have more, but I've never played one. It's not like they have as much as a 5150. Like a Classic, the preamp gain is not really getting into the high gain realm until you've pretty much maxed it out.

Mmmm, my local mom-and-pop store has a 2x12 C50 in, i'd better go and look into to tomorrow !

I always thought that the C50 is just a louder C30, and i am unimpressed with the C30's generic sounding gain, even after he retro fitted a V30 in it !!!

NOW, i LOVE the GAIN of the good 'ol Marshall JCM800's :evil::evil::evil::thu:

Archived