Repotting my pickups with wax.... Help

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I raised up the pole pieces too high a while back and have since lowered them all back down, but I think I loosened up the polepieces too much (moved or cracked the wax around them), and now I am hearing a strange metallic vibration from the bridge that I think is because of the pickups being slightly microphonic.

I think they need to be repotted, but I'm not sure how to go about getting this done. Can/should I do it myself? Should/will a guitar tech be able to do it for me?

Help me out. Thanks.

• Members

Are the pickups fairly new?

I sent mine to Dimarzio for this problem and they sent them back free of charge. It says it's a 30 day warrantee or something but they didn't even ask for proof of purchase so not sure how they check. I just emailed them and off they went.

• Members

Are the pickups fairly new?

I sent mine to Dimarzio for this problem and they sent them back free of charge. It says it's a 30 day warrantee or something but they didn't even ask for proof of purchase so not sure how they check. I just emailed them and off they went.

They came with my guitar. They are made by Dimarzio though... the custom petrucci pickups. I've never changed them, because I like them a lot. But now I'm getting this metallic noise from the bridge vibrating after palm mutes and any loud/hard playing that's coming through the pickups, and it never used to do that. I'm pretty sure it isn't any problem with the bridge. Would I be correct that it's probably the pickups being microphonic?

I'm pretty sure it is. I need to get it fixed. Is there anybody here that could do it for me? Or can I send it to Dimarzio or what?

• Members

I'd email dimarzio, that's what I did and they took care of me. They can also help diagnose this problem as I'm no expert for sure.

With my pickup the output sounded incredibly weak, I got a lot of feedback and a ton of weird noises from the pickup.

How long did it take to get your pickups back?

• Members

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/index.php

And remember when you're doing this, you don't need to try to keep as much wax on the pickup as possible when removing it from the pot. Let it run off. It's about letting the wax get in all the small crevices between all the parts so that the vibrations between the parts are damped.

Archived