Amp Channel Switchers (1/4" jacks & relays)

petejt

• Members

Hi everyone, I need your help.

I'd like to be able to have a footswitch that will change channels on all amps at the same time, and also switch them in and out.

I have a Mesa/Boogie MarkIV, and an Engl Fireball, which I run for most tones including cleans. I'd like to be able to switch either amp in and out when I want, and run them at the same time when I want, in any combination of channels.

For example

Another thing too, I want to be able to send the signal also to my Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp, whenever I want to.

At the moment, I am able to run my amps in those configurations, but I can't switch them instantly. Also I need something to switch in and out the JC120.

The Fireball uses a stereo relay jack (1/4"?) to switch the Normal & Ultra gain channels I believe. The MarkIV has the 1/4" switching jacks. It only matters for me to just be able to switch five of them (RHY1, RHY2, LEAD, EQ, LOOP).

Here is my signal path diagram, quite crudely drawn. The signal is already split to the MarkIV & Fireball by the effects pedals, but I can't do the switching. I am not fussed about switching out the pedals from the signal at all.

6pgarzr.gif

What device can I use? All I know is that the DMC Ground Control Pro will do the job (and be more flexible and versatile for MIDI switching etc.), but I'd like something a bit cheaper.

Please help me, thank you.

• Members

you will probably need a custom switching system, like a bradshaw.

unless, of course, you are handy with electronics...then again, if that were the case, you'd be building instead of asking.

bob bradshaw is your friend here...as long as you can afford his time.:thu:

• Members
you will probably need a custom switching system, like a bradshaw.

unless, of course, you are handy with electronics...then again, if that were the case, you'd be building instead of asking.

bob bradshaw is your friend here...as long as you can afford his time.
:thu:

Thanks for your advice, but I was hoping for something a bit cheaper and more readily available than Bob Bradshaw's stuff, even though I know his stuff is top-notch.

Surely there is a simple 1/4" switcher pedal around?

• Members

Trust me...I've looked into this, and it's not simple, it's not cheap, and it's not going to happen without having a custom system built for your needs.

I hate to burst your bubble (so to speak), but you're really looking at several thousand dollars worth of an amp-switching system.

• Members

This shouldn't be that hard to do. Something like this;

http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/pt_abcadabra.htm

Will allow you to A/B/Y between amps via MIDI. I'm sure there are other products (Loooper maybe?) that will do A/B/C if you really need that 3rd amp capability.

Then this;

http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/pt_footsim.htm

Will do all your switching functions for you via MIDI. So with a decent controller and a little programming you should be able to get any combination of amps and footswitched functions with one button.

• Members

He doesn't want to go with a midi setup right now though....but that's gonna be the easiest (not to mention pretty much only) solution though Pete :) Simple switchers that do it via 1/4" jacks/cables are just that, simple. What you are wanting are basically presets and the only way I can think of doing that in a "simple" fashion would be to hardwire each actual "preset" to individual switches but that may cause problems.

Your best bet is to get the engl footswitch and then you would at least be able to control it. Other than that, get a cheap midi pedal like the dmc ground control, rolls midi buddy, rocktron midimate, etc. Then either a gcx or similar midi switcher.

Archived