using the Hot Rod Deville as a preamp ONLY??

J.Paul

• Members

I am putting together a new rig and one of the amps I'll be using is a Fender Hot Rod Deville. My question is:

Can I use the "preamp-out/ send" function of this amp without returning it to the "poweramp-in/return" without harming it (it would be routed into a stereo power amp to speakers configuration).

Anyone have any insight?

• Members

I am putting together a new rig and one of the amps I'll be using is a Fender Hot Rod Deville. My question is:

Can I use the "preamp-out/ send" function of this amp without returning it to the "poweramp-in/return" without harming it (it would be routed into a stereo power amp to speakers configuration).

Anyone have any insight?

What a shock, an actual amp question sinking to the bottom. I believe that you can, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

• Members

According to the manual it should but I could be interpretting it wrong and I won't have the amp or the gear right in front of me until next week (I only have two days to physically pull this together).

Are you sure? It should.

• Members

According to the manual it should but I could be interpretting it wrong and I won't have the amp or the gear right in front of me until next week (I only have two days to physically pull this together).

The loop is serial so if it's sent and not returned, no signal goes to the power amp. I can't tell you for sure whether this is safe on the power amp or not. You could use a splitter and return a dry signal to the HRD for a wet/dry/wet setup :eek:

• Members

However, some amps w/ serial loops use the loops return jack to cut the non-effected signal, which allows you to use the FX loop as a slave out. If this is the case, then no, you can't use it as just a preamp. You can test this by turning you amp on, and putting a cable in the FX send jack. If there's signal to your speakers, it's a return-defeat loop.

Archived