Switching to a rack opinions wanted

RyGy

• Members

I am switching to a rack setup. So far I am getting an ENGL E530 pre-amp, and a carvin DCM 150 power amp. I know that I might get bashed a bit for getting a solid state power amp, but I have sholder problems so I want a light weight rig, and I do most of my playing at home at low volume. I find that solid state does low volume better than tubes, and the zero maintanence is also nice.

I am thinking about adding a G major to go with this since it can do the channel switching, and if there is a big difference in volume between the hi/lo gain I can compensate for it. I jsut haven't used any effects for about 4 years now since I got rid of all of my digital stuff. I would mainly add verb, delay, and EQ with the G major.

I am looking for opinions about this setup. I will be running it into an earcandy buzzbomb 212 with green machines.

Thanks

Ryan

• Members

the carvin is nice, but it is totally transparent. It has a flat response and will be unflattering for any preamp. I'll let you do solid state, but at least get something voiced for guitar. ex:

1. ROcktron Velocity 150, 250, or 300

2. Tube Works 962, 982, etc.

3. ADA Microtube 200

4. Marshall valvestate pro 120/120

• Members

the carvin is nice, but it is totally transparent. It has a flat response and will be unflattering for any preamp. I'll let you do solid state, but at least get something voiced for guitar. ex:

3. ADA Microtube 200

+1

The Rocktron stuff is really good, and can be had fairly inexpensively.

You can also run a tube amp like a VHT 2502 in a 2 space and the rest of your gear in another cab which cuts down on having to lift really heavy stuff, but for just mostly jamming at home the Rocktron is prolly going to work best for you.

• Members

I already ordered the Carvin. I will see how it sounds. I have three amps that I can plug into the FX return and see how they compare to the Carvin. I went with that amp to have the same sound at high, and low volumes. I also like a very well defined sound with very little mush (reason I am thinking about replacing the Dual Rec)

• Members

3. ADA Microtube 200

When I was doing rack gear, I used the 962 for a long time, and I think it sounded really good.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived