Best guitar work by Ozzy's guitarist?

JnBroadbent

• Members

I understand "playing circles around" someone as having the physical ability to play stuff the other player in the comparison can't. Randy couldn't do that to Zakk...

Wrong, and even Zakk admits it. Don't get me wrong I like Zakk, so I am not bashing him here.

Zakk hasn't written anythng like Diary of a Madman, or Revelation Mother Earth, and he never will.

If you put them head to head, Randy could play all of Zakk's stuff easily and within 5 minutes. Can't say the same about Zakk playing Randy's stuff.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Wrong, and even Zakk admits it. Don't get me wrong I like Zakk, so I am not bashing him here.

Zakk hasn't written anythng like Diary of a Madman, or Revelation Mother Earth, and he never will.

If you put them head to head, Randy could play all of Zakk's stuff easily and within 5 minutes. Can't say the same about Zakk playing Randy's stuff.

I think Zakk could play Randy' stuff note for note, which is what got him the gig. I also really like Zakk's early Ozzy stuff as well, but let's be honest, Randy thought of the stuff and is way more innovative than Zakk, which I am sure Zakk would admit willingly since Randy is one of his heroes.

It's kinda like me saying I can play circles around EVH because I can play eruption note for note. He wrote it, I copied it. I would just be a silly goose if I said that. :cool:

Just my $.02.

• Members

I think Zakk could play Randy' stuff note for note, which is what got him the gig. I also really like Zakk's early Ozzy stuff as well, but let's be honest, Randy thought of the stuff and is way more innovative than Zakk, which I am sure Zakk would admit willingly since Randy is one of his heroes.

It's kinda like me saying I can play circles around EVH because I can play eruption note for note. He wrote it, I copied it. I would just be a silly goose if I said that.
:cool:

Just my $.02.

Yeah, but Zakk has had years to practice Randy's stuff. If they were just say "choppin heads". I bet Randy would take Zakk to school. Not just on solos, but songwriting, chord variations, scales & theory, etc....

You get the picture

• Members

Yeah, but Zakk has had years to practice Randy's stuff. If they were just say "choppin heads". I bet Randy would take Zakk to school. Not just on solos, but songwriting, chord variations, scales & theory, etc....

You get the picture

Ya Zakk is a self taught guitarist with what it seems like a limited knowledge of theory and scales. Randy was classically trained from the age of 5. Im sure his knowledge and grasp of music far surpassed that of Zakk. Hell randy was about to quit Ozzys band so he could study classical guitar and get a masters in it

• Moderators

You get the picture

Are you arguin' with yourself? :freak: I was agreeing with you! :D

:love:

• Members

Yeah lets see ole Zakky play the Rhoads stuff undropped and with Zakks tricks(pinch harmonic's.squeals,etc) left out. Sure he played well the first few years but Not even Close to what and how Rhoads achieved.

Zakk also has the Hampster disease IMO. He slowly rolled into a shell of a guitarist that he once was and todays Zakk is Image first and Musician Second.

Im no great guitarist but I surely can learn and play the Zakk catalouge much easier and quicker than much of the Rhoads and Lee stuff.

Zakks solos are across the board easier to play with No More Tears being the tuffest(slide).

Also Zakk has a tone these days which sounds like 5 chorus's and a few OD's

running into a comforter covered amp.

At least with Rhoads and Lee I hear notes with Zakk its all non defined sludge until the pinch harmonic madness.

My covers band plays a few songs from Randy,Jake and Zakk btw.

(Crazy Train,Mr.Crowley,Bark at the Moon,The Ultimate Sin,Stillborn,Perry Mason)

Archived