Thinking about having a Gutierrez built... Questions

JoshuaLogan

• Members

sure we can do that, most of our guitars come with Planet Waves locking tuners stock.

Do you think it'd hold tune just as well as the locking nut? I'm not sure exactly if the reason this guitar stays in tune so well without one is because of the design of the tremolo or if it's because the locking tuners are really good or what... I'm not sure what kind of locking tuners they are. I'd have to look it up.

• Members

honestly I dont have any experience with a set-up like that, but I dont see why it wouldn't work, if the EBMM works well, I'm sure Brent can do it as well.

Word. I'm not sure why exactly it works so well. Almost all guitars I've seen with full floating tremolos have locking nuts, except for these petrucci guitars... but they stay in tune just as well. Maybe you could ask him for me what he thinks about it? I wouldn't really mind the locking nut too much. the guitar staying in tune after heavy use on the tremolo is the most important factor, but it is slightly easier to setup, change strings, tune, etc. with out having to deal with the locking nut

• Members

Word. I'm not sure why exactly it works so well. Almost all guitars I've seen with full floating tremolos have locking nuts, except for these petrucci guitars... but they stay in tune just as well. Maybe you could ask him for me what he thinks about it? I wouldn't really mind the locking nut too much. the guitar staying in tune after heavy use on the tremolo is the most important factor, but it is slightly easier to setup, change strings, tune, etc. with out having to deal with the locking nut

some carvins don't have locking nuts, and parker flys don't.

• Members

I'm just kinda worried about how it'd work. I don't see many 27 fret guitars... I've only really seen the Caparison Horus models and then the one juggernaut brent made for cobrahead, and both of those are the same.... it's 27 fret with a slanted stack single coil in the neck.... I don't really think I'd want a single coil in the neck, because I like the warm, smooth, bassy lead tone of a humbucker in the neck....

Does it have to be slanted? If so, could a humbucker even work correctly slanted like that? I ask because it seems like the pole pieces would not line up exactly with the strings if it was a humbucker slanted in that same position....

Another question..... well, I know that the further down towards the bridge the neck pickup is positioned, the less warm (more trebley) it's going to sound.... but which scale length would have that neck pickup more bassy/warm sounding? Or does it really affect it much at all? I am just wondering if a short scale like a les paul (which is what the caprison horus is) or a regular 25.5" superstrat scale would have the neck pickup closer to the bridge? Because, I don't really want the neck pickup to be too trebley....

also, I was thinking about having a single coil between the two humbuckers, mainly pretty much just for clean sounds, because I want this guitar to be very versatile.... I want it to play like a shred guitar, but pull off tones anywhere from really jangly poppy clean to full on metal... so I was wanting that single coil.... would there be room between the two humbuckers for it if I had 27 frets and that (possibly) slanted humbucker in the neck?

I might just get 24 frets so I don't have to bother with all of those problems, but I figured it would be cool, and something fairly unique.... I figure if I'm going to get a custom guitar, I might as well make it unique! even if I didn't use the 25-27 frets, it'd give more space for playing up to the 24th, and that alone is cool...

Oh, and if I do decide to go with bare knuckle pickups and I get them myself.... would you deduct a certain amount of money off the total of the guitar, since it already comes with duncans or EMG's and I wouldn't be getting either of those?

Sorry for so many questions. I am just seriously thinking about this now, and I want to see what all I can do and how I could get it set up. I realize he could do whatever I asked, but I want what I ask for to make sense too! haha.

EDIT: oh, and unrelated question... could I get the schaller floyd rose like on the caparison guitars? or does he get a good deal on supply of the original floyd rose and only use those? the schaller I'm talking about is sold by warmoth...they're apparently a little sturdier and warmer sounding due to slight differences in construction.. just wondering

• Members

Here is a shot of a Hamer Diablo that has a slanted neck humbucker.

DIABLO_1.JPG

might be somewhat close to what it would look like.

I bet he probably can get the Schaller FR for ya. I'd have to ask, but I dont think it would be a problem.

Yes he would discount if you supply the pick-ups.

as far as the single in between with 27 fret... (from looking at the Diablo, I'd say probably not)BUT that would be a Brent answer he'd have to make the measurements etc.... But I could find out.

Tell you what?

check your p.m.s :D

• Members

That's too bad
:(
I started a thread the other day (well actually this morning
:lol:
) about shipping overseas.. Turned out to be quite a pain in the ass money-wise
:mad:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838022

I don't know if it applies to guitars too, but I'd be amazed if it didn't..

Maybe someday when I'm rich:cry:

Hmm, I ordered my Schecter from music123.com and the guitar cost me all together 665

• Members

Some fantastic instruments. I can understand the buyers' million questions too,lol, as whats holding me up on my own builds is the whole, "well...what if I," and "wonder how this would instead of" thing lol.

Curious tho,why still no website for this maker? I think it would make a lot of this much easier for potential buyers,and would do well to get the word out on some great instruments. Its' not too diffucult,and doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg or anything.

• Members

Man, I'm stealing those pics for the "collection" if you dont mind. I forgot all about that one, damn thats one sexy beast.
:love:

No problem I will take some better pics and send them to you just give me your e-mail address.

Rick

• Members

Great choice considering a Gutierrez. Brents work is fantastic. However I wouldnt want a 24.75 scale guitar to have more than 22 fretts, let alone 24, to say nothing of 27. If you really need 27 fretts I would highly recomend a 25.5 scale. Really for all practical purposes you should be fine with a 25.5 scale 24 fret neck. Unless of course youre kinda like Petrucci or Malmsteen.

Its all up to you. Brent will build it the way you want. Personally Id hate to see a 24.75 scale guitar with 27 frets though and wouldnt consider buying one.

• Members

I'm somewhat considering getting a Gutierrez guitar built and have a few questions for you guys that own them/have played them.

Alright, here we go...

1. I'm considering going with the short scale 24.75 scale, and possibly 27 frets..... I was wondering, just how tiny are these upper frets on a short scale guitar? Are they still playable, or really cramped?

2. Can I still get a humbucker in the neck with 27 frets? Would it be slanted? I've seen a lot of 27 fret guitars with slanted a slanted single coil in the neck...

3. Does Brent do H-S-H guitars? I think I've only seen H-H on his stuff... just wondering, because if I did this, I'd want to go all out, and have a single coil in the middle, but closer to the neck.... primarily for strat-like clean tones.... (because I like to play clean a lot too, and it'd be nice to have an actual single coil there available along with the coil tapping and such)

4. About how long are the build times on these guitars? and do you put down a down payment or what? do they come with a case?

5. If I wanted Bare Knuckle Pickups in mine instead of the EMGs/seymour duncans they usually offer, how much extra would I be paying for exactly? Just the difference?

6. I'm thinking about an all mahogany super strat... but I've heard mahogany necks can be kinda unstable (apparently they warp easily and such)... would it be better to get a maple neck and mahogany wings for the body?

I think that's all for now... might add more questions if I think of any, and I guess I'll post this in the gutierrez forum over on rig-talk too...

the upper frets on mine are playable, but they're pretty cramped really...i can get up to the 24th to 25th frets probably better than any other guitar i've played, i can use the last two but it's not terribly easy...brent did a great job with the upper fret access, but those higher ones are just tiny

i'm sure brent would be willing to meet most of your other requests...tho an HSH 27 fretter with a short scale like you're talking about would have the pickups awfully cramped

honestly the lil 59 in the neck of mine sounds a lot like a humbucker, not quite as thick as the full sized 59 but it doesn't sound/feel like a single coil to me

• Members

the upper frets on mine are playable, but they're pretty cramped really...i can get up to the 24th to 25th frets probably better than any other guitar i've played, i can use the last two but it's not terribly easy...brent did a great job with the upper fret access, but those higher ones are just tiny

i'm sure brent would be willing to meet most of your other requests...tho an HSH 27 fretter with a short scale like you're talking about would have the pickups awfully cramped

honestly the lil 59 in the neck of mine sounds a lot like a humbucker, not quite as thick as the full sized 59 but it doesn't sound/feel like a single coil to me

I've never played a short scale 24 fret guitar either... are the 23-24 frets small? I don't know why I was wanting the short scale... just kinda thinking it might be more comfortable. Maybe I should get the PRS in between kinda scale? (I think it's 25" or 25.1" or something...) or just stick with 25.5"?

Archived